Search

VGA to S-Video (or composite?)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2007, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
VGA to S-Video (or composite?)

I'd like to hook my laptop up to a TV.

However, the laptop doesn't have an S-Video or Composite video out connector, so I was thinking of getting one of the those VGA to S-Video converters (I realize I'll have to run in 640x480, picture won't be as good blah blah blah).

I assumed I'd need something like this (i.e. a powered box with some chips inside):

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=250192514701

...as this is what I'd seen in the past for tasks like this.

However, eBay now seems choc-a-bloc with cables like this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=180188092108

...which seem to be too simple to actually work.

Do those cables actually work? Or do I need a proper device to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada
Old Dec 3, 2007, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Check the fineprint on the cable:

NOTE: Your VGA card must support TV out directly through VGA port function. Please consult with your VGA card's user manual for more information.

You do indeed need a video card that actually does video out over the connector. So unless you know for sure whether your video card supports this I'd go with a converter box like in the first link.

That said; you'd be surprised that many laptops DO have support for this, if you have a model number we may be able to help you out...
Old Dec 3, 2007, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
Originally Posted by gglave
I'd like to hook my laptop up to a TV.
Have you checked to be sure your TV doesn't support VGA in? We have a Panasonic plasma, a Sharp Aquos, and a Sharp projector that all do.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

>Have you checked to be sure your TV doesn't support VGA in?

It absolutely does not, unfortunately.

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver
Old Dec 3, 2007, 10:56 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
So if you're trying to do S-Video and you know you're stuck with 640x480, I assume this is a standard definition, 4:3 aspect ratio television you are wanting to connect to?

Otherwise there are VGA/DVI/HDMI/Component cables and converters that can be found. Frankly, having worked with VGA on a 480i SD screen a lot, I would say it's not worth it to even bother without a flat screen TV with HD input of some type.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
There are USB video devices that give you HDTV on your laptop's LCD screen.

I use IBM Thinkpad A30p/A31p (ATi Radeon) that has DVI output thru the docking station. From it a DVI/HDMI cable connects to the TV. But I cannot find a 1366x768 driver anywhere. So the TV defaults to the standard 1024x768. Some TVs such as Viewsonic offer drivers but I have a Magnavox (Phillips).

From what I read, the Windows XP Multimedia Edition has the screen drivers to do the wide screen 720p, 1080p resolutions for TVs.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 8:49 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
We've use this product from CSI:

http://www.commspecial.com/assets/da...1290/index.htm

No software drivers, supports up to 12x10 and has both composite and S-video outputs for NTSC and PAL. It's not cheap - about $1300 list - but it works on laptops, desktops PC and Macs and with a better image quality than the el cheapo boxes.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 9:09 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
For video/picture viewing even the cheap-o boxes can do a somewhat decent job of transcoding and interlacing the the 640x480 into NTSC/480i. It's when you try doing anything with text, i.e. web browsing or word processing, that you'll really see these solutions fall short. Also, don't plan on doing much/any photo editing as the color reproduction accuracy will be pretty far off with alot of colors being muted and or just off from where a decently calibrated monitor would be.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
So if you're trying to do S-Video and you know you're stuck with 640x480, I assume this is a standard definition, 4:3 aspect ratio television you are wanting to connect to?
Yes.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
you'd be surprised that many laptops DO have support for this, if you have a model number we may be able to help you out...
Thanks everyone - It's a Dell Inspiron 4100.

Here's the background: The 'main' PC is in the basement. I was recently gifted the Dell (P3, 1 GHz, 256 Mb) by someone who upgraded. The Dell is running a fresh install of XP Pro, with all the XP 'bells and whistles' turned off to improve performance.

The Dell is upstairs, in the TV room. It's wirelessly connected to the machine downstairs, and is also connected to the sound system. This allows us to use it to play MP3s off the hard drive on the machine in the basement.

I was wondering about also playing videos off the machine in the basement - Mostly TV shows. Hence my questions about a VGA to TV adapter. It's not going to be used for word processing, image editing or anything else - Just playing back videos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.