Search

Best cell phone rental option?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2007, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Best cell phone rental option?

Off to Australia for a week, and I have Sprint domestically, so need to rent a cell phone. Anyone have experience with any of the vendors?
Old Nov 10, 2007, 7:31 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Sprint themselves will supply you with a SIM and handset if you need but Australia is one of the few places in the world that you can roam with your Sprint PCS phone. Call Customer Service and tell them you want Int'l Roaming. Make sure they understand that you aren't talking about making int'l calls but want to use your SPCS phone in Australia, Hong Kong, et cetera. Rates are $1.29/minute.

Honestly though I think the best thing is to simply pick up a prepaid phone pack when you get there if you plan to use the phone a lot. The money you'd spend on a rental phone will pay for the package itself and airtime will be MUCH cheaper.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Free 1-Month Rental from PlanetFone for Citi Credit Card Holders

Originally Posted by kanebear
...The money you'd spend on a rental phone will pay for the package itself and airtime will be MUCH cheaper.
I've been seeing this promo popping up whenever I sign in my Citi accounts. The offer is free international cell phone rental (30 Days free rental. Airtime charges, shipping, or optional insurance do not apply). I've never used the service, so I can't comment on the coverage and the network quality. Maybe others who had used them can chime in.

http://www.planetfone.com/rates.htm

To the OP, if you are a Citi customer, you may want to check it out and compare the overall out-of-pocket cost with kanebear's pre-paid suggestion then decide which one is a better fit for your 1-week usage.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by lin821
I've been seeing this promo popping up whenever I sign in my Citi accounts. The offer is free international cell phone rental (30 Days free rental. Airtime charges, shipping, or optional insurance do not apply). I've never used the service, so I can't comment on the coverage and the network quality. Maybe others who had used them can chime in.

http://www.planetfone.com/rates.htm

To the OP, if you are a Citi customer, you may want to check it out and compare the overall out-of-pocket cost with kanebear's pre-paid suggestion then decide which one is a better fit for your 1-week usage.
The rates are extortionate!!!!! Incoming with prepaid is free... Planetfone charge .99 for Australia. The killer is the outgoing. $1.95/minute local and $2.95/minute for int'l! Even with T-mobile, the UK is $.99/minute incoming or outgoing. These guys charge $2.25 outgoing. Use the phone more than 10 minutes on your trip and you've paid more than the rental fee.

@the OP: If you're going elsewhere besides Oz, call Sprint and rent a handset from them. They will also supply a SIM which is your SPCS phone number. Thus when out of the country you will receive calls when using the Sprint SIM. Not sure about Texts.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sprint themselves will supply you with a SIM and handset if you need but Australia is one of the few places in the world that you can roam with your Sprint PCS phone. Call Customer Service and tell them you want Int'l Roaming. Make sure they understand that you aren't talking about making int'l calls but want to use your SPCS phone in Australia, Hong Kong, et cetera. Rates are $1.29/minute.

Honestly though I think the best thing is to simply pick up a prepaid phone pack when you get there if you plan to use the phone a lot. The money you'd spend on a rental phone will pay for the package itself and airtime will be MUCH cheaper.
But I DO want to make intl calls - to/from USA. To keep in touch with the crazy boss while I'm on vacation. Does that change anything?
Old Nov 10, 2007, 11:57 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Look up Australian prepaid cell phone plans and make note of both their domestic and international-to-US rates. Estimate the cost based on how much you will call and compare to other cell phone options for the same call pattern.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 12:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.4 MM Hertz Gold, National Executive Elite, Starwood Gold, Hyat Gold
Try travelcell.com I have used them in the past and is a good company to work with.
Have a safe trip!
Old Nov 12, 2007, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks kanebear - it turns out this is quite true! Evidently there is CDMA service in Sydney so there's no need for me to get a rental or Sprint-supplied GSM phone. For my needs this will be the best bet.

Sprint customer service was frighteningly excellent (they don't have that reputation usually). A quick over-the-phone software download and I'm set up. My crazy boss can now get hold of me (shudder) in Oz simply by dialing my number. (I can expense the $1.29/minute.) Suh-weet!

If I want to call the US I'll just dial 00111 plus area code plus phone number.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Off to Australia for a week, and I have Sprint domestically, so need to rent a cell phone. Anyone have experience with any of the vendors?
A word of warning, besides being charged an arm and a leg on roaming fees, you also can't text or use the intrawebs when roaming in Australia on Sprint. And making domestic (within Australia) calls is annoying, since you have to punch in like 19 numbers. I almost threw my phone into the Sydney harbor cuz it got so frustrating.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by gosha83
A word of warning, besides being charged an arm and a leg on roaming fees, you also can't text or use the intrawebs when roaming in Australia on Sprint. And making domestic (within Australia) calls is annoying, since you have to punch in like 19 numbers. I almost threw my phone into the Sydney harbor cuz it got so frustrating.
The greatest thing about GSM IMO is the simple lowly + symbol. It gets around SO many dialling pattern vagaries.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The greatest thing about GSM IMO is the simple lowly + symbol. It gets around SO many dialling pattern vagaries.
Absolutely! I'm also amazed at how many people don't know about it.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 4:55 am

In my opinion and unlocked GSM handset should be part of every traveler's kit. IMHO a roaming SIM is also a good idea.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 2:42 pm

Programs: QC Life, AA
The main telco's in Australia are vodafone, Telstra and optus and they appear to have good coverage although Telstra seems to have better coverage in country areas. Check out the following:

http://www.vodafone.com.au/Personal/...Caps/index.htm

http://www.telstra.com.au/telstraprepaidplus/index.htm

http://personal.optus.com.au/web/oca...&site=personal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.