Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

can an employer spy on what I do on my home computer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

can an employer spy on what I do on my home computer?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by aktchi
To be safe, yes. They could have installed software that "phones home" or at least logs your activity. Even without special software and express intention to snoop, modern computers keep pretty detailed logs of what they did.
This brings up another question. Is there really any way to find a key stroke logger or software that "phones home????
Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by LEX-LGA Commuter
It requires nothing of the kind. You, as the employee, agreed to abide by the rules when you took the job. Don't like it? Work somewhere else.

But, more importantly, the courts have upheld that you have no expectation of privacy on company equipment, again as stated and agreed to at the time of employment. If you don't understand the implications of that, you need to. In fact, everyone needs to. Hopefully this will explain it better than I can.
In case you didn't read, it's a home computer.

The TITLE says home computer. I'm understanding that to be his/her own personal equipment and not purchased by the employer for the company's purposes.

I didn't grow up in a cave.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 11:44 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5 Star Gold
double posting
Old Nov 4, 2007, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by civicmon
In case you didn't read, it's a home computer.

The TITLE says home computer. I'm understanding that to be his/her own personal equipment and not purchased by the employer for the company's purposes.

I didn't grow up in a cave.
Then the lighting in your current cave must be very poor.

And I quote from the original post.....(in case you didn't read)

what if I do it with a laptop from work?

Hence my original reply:

The safest answer is that if an outside enterprise (be it an employer, client, free public library connection, whatever) supplies any part of the resources necessary for you to do whatever it is you're doing, they can and likely do monitor it - and in many cases will control it.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by talksalot
I am most concerned with this:
If I am sitting at home on the home computer (or on work laptop that is provided by a client, but not online to their system) and I am looking at competitors' stock quotes or monster.com, or doing other research for marketing purpooses, should I assume THEY (client) can see what I am doing.
Yes, you should. And you have no recourse, as pointed out in the court decisions referenced above. On a computer they provide it is possible for them to monitor absolutely everything that happens on it, and it is within their rights to do so.

If you are using your home computer and have your work-provided compuer connected to the same network as well, the work computer can not easily nor legally determine what yur home computer is doing and relay that information to the company.

To the point of the VPN connection, there are two ways a VPN connection can be confgured. One is to route all traffic via the VPN network. This basically makes the computer a secured endpoint on the network and all data (even the FT browsing) goes via the VPN, into the corporate network and then out via their firewall(s). The other configuration is called split-tunneling. In this config the laptop routes some data to the corporate network and some directly out the local internet connection, so the corporate network would see the Outlook traffic, but not the FT traffic. Split-tunneling is less secure, but provides better performance for the laptop user. Which one you have is a function of the configuration your IT department has chosen to implement, though split-tunneling is less common, IME.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
There are a lot of variables to deal with here, but I suspect that working on your home computer, at your home, through your own ISP, is when you are/should be safe from monitoring.

Plug into an employer's network port (regardless of where the computer is from), boot up VPN software, etc., and you are using the company's resources, and they can monitor what crosses it.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 8:10 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by talksalot
yes, I am interested in the CAN.

I am most concerned with this:
If I am sitting at home on the home computer (or on work laptop that is provided by a client, but not online to their system) and I am looking at competitors' stock quotes or monster.com, or doing other research for marketing purpooses, should I assume THEY (client) can see what I am doing.
In the US, if they provided the hardware in the "work laptop that is probided by a client, but not online to their system" they most certainly CAN (in both a legal and technical sense) see that you did it.

As has been mentioned, the ECPA of '86 is usually controlling in these situations.

The safest course of action is never to do anything on a work computer you don't want work to know about at some point.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 5:20 am

In a related area..........

Wed Nov 7, 1:25 AM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters)
- Whole Foods Market Inc amended its code of business conduct last week to restrict online activities by top officials, according to the company's Web site.

The updated code bans senior Whole Foods executives and directors from posting messages about the company, its competitors or vendors on Internet forums that it doesn't sponsor.

In July, Chief Executive John Mackey apologized to shareholders for posting messages on a Yahoo Inc chat forum under an alias for years. The postings talked up Whole Foods while criticizing rival Wild Oats Markets Inc, which it later bought.

Last month the company affirmed its support for Mackey after completing an internal investigation into his online postings.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 5:35 am

Programs: AS MVPG
What about ISP's? Can they see what their doing? Even if its encrypted? Actually for that matter, not counting key loggers and what not, if I were to login to my online bank account (with encryption) would my employer be able to see my account details? I never go to sensitive sites (not that kind of sensitive) unless if I'm on my computer on a non-public network.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by LEX-LGA Commuter
Then the lighting in your current cave must be very poor.

And I quote from the original post.....(in case you didn't read)

what if I do it with a laptop from work?

Hence my original reply:

The safest answer is that if an outside enterprise (be it an employer, client, free public library connection, whatever) supplies any part of the resources necessary for you to do whatever it is you're doing, they can and likely do monitor it - and in many cases will control it.
And as I said, when he said "home computer" I am working under the impression it's a personal machine, bought by himself, for his own personal use and not for business use.

you are right if it's a company issued laptop, he didn't clarify. So please, get over yourself.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 9:53 am

I work for a computer forensics and electronic discovery consulting firm. You would not believe how much a company can and will monitor, whether it be actively or passively. If you are using company property at home, it is very easy for them to know what you are doing, even more so once you plug back in to the network via vpn or LAN.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 10:29 am

Technically, they can monitor you if you have installed any software from the employer or are using a VPN.

I personally use VMware in such cases. It creates a simulated PC inside your own computer, called virtual machine. All employer-specific or suspicious software goes into the virtual machine. This way, even if the employer is spying, they are only going to see what is going on inside the virtual machine.

I also surf the Web from a virtual machine, so that any worms/malware I might catch would not infect my PC or damage any data.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Technically, they can monitor you if you have installed any software from the employer or are using a VPN.

I personally use VMware in such cases. It creates a simulated PC inside your own computer, called virtual machine. All employer-specific or suspicious software goes into the virtual machine. This way, even if the employer is spying, they are only going to see what is going on inside the virtual machine.

I also surf the Web from a virtual machine, so that any worms/malware I might catch would not infect my PC or damage any data.

I think this is a great idea. Do you think Microsoft Virtual PC would offer the same protection?
Old Nov 9, 2007, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit

can they read key strokes even with this?

does emailing with yahoo or hotmail provide any protection (can they "see" what you have written?

technically, not legally, can they "read" a disc on key that is plugged in, or just read the files that are used? if you plugged in a disc, then sent a file by yahoo, could they see the contents and details?
Old Nov 9, 2007, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by frekwentflier
I think this is a great idea. Do you think Microsoft Virtual PC would offer the same protection?
I haven't researched it much, because I have a license for VMWare I am perfectly happy with, but I think yes.

You just need to be careful how much access to your system you give to the virtual machine. For example, if you allow the virtual machine to read your entire hard disk, then any spyware running inside it would obviously be able to read your files. I just set up a folder accessible by the virtual machine that I use to move files to and from it.

Also I set up my Internet router so that only the virtual machine is allowed to freely access the Internet. This way, even if I catch some spyware on my "real" PC, it would be unable to phone home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.