Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2007, 11:20 am

Programs: AA GLD; UA 2P; HHonors GLD; SPG
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
I'd rather pay 40 cents out/ free in.
How? Local SIM?
Old Oct 21, 2007, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
Who knows why carriers like Verizon, U.S. Cellular and Sprint exist anyway?
The CDMA carriers are far more built out for high-speed data in the U.S. than Cingular or T-Mobile. I regularly get 500-700 kbps with Sprint in a bunch of different U.S. markets.

If you live in the U.S. and take occasional trips abroad, then Sprint as your primary carrier plus a cheap unlocked GSM handset seems like the best combination. If you travel extensively abroad or want the best data performance abroad, then you probably need a different solution. But I wouldn't want to jump into Cingular's inferior performance in the U.S. just because I take a few trips abroad each year.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Analise
I travel maybe once or twice per year to Europe for pleasure. I cannot absorb such a high cost for a phone especially since I'm not working right now.
You can get a TMobile phone and service for less than Verizon.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

I may be too late to order the phone on ebay for this trip (leaving Tues) but I can do it for my trip one month from now to IBZ. I've never used ebay. How trustworty and reliable are the sellers? I know they are rated but can't those ratings be fake??
Old Oct 21, 2007, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I may be too late to order the phone on ebay for this trip (leaving Tues) but I can do it for my trip one month from now to IBZ. I've never used ebay. How trustworty and reliable are the sellers? I know they are rated but can't those ratings be fake??
I think most are quite reliable if they have good ratings. Ive bought several phones from ebay. But, realistically there is always a risk.

Im not sure how cheap you are looking for but here is a new phone, 900, 1800, 1900 band that will work in Europe and on TMobile in the US (some on Cingular also) for about $90 new. I have bought several phones from this place.

http://www.mobilebee.com/nokia-3120a.html
Old Oct 21, 2007, 1:00 pm
iff

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I think most are quite reliable if they have good ratings. Ive bought several phones from ebay. But, realistically there is always a risk.
I've bought phones on eBay, too, but that was a while ago. Isn't the risk generally greater for the more expensive and trendier or "hot" phones? If you're just looking to buy a basic inexpensive unlocked world phone, I doubt the risk is that high.

Once you get the phone, of course, you'll need to get a SIM... but there's an extensive thread on that already, toward the top of the page.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
When you get to Ibiza, head to any of the Expert shops on the island (there are a few, you can find them in the yellow pages under Electrodomèstics). They're similar to Circuit City, only smaller. This week they have a nice Motorola dual-band (won't work in the US) for 85€ or a Nokia quad-band (will work in the US) for 99€. They're both unlocked, new in the box, and will work great. At the same store you can pick up an Orange prepay SIM card for 18€ that includes 18€ of credit. Remember incoming calls are free in Spain so you can always make quick one-minute calls and have them call you back.

http://www.catalogoexpert.com/aspCat...6&grd=fam;20;0

Last edited by alanw; Oct 21, 2007 at 1:55 pm
Old Oct 21, 2007, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
Unlocked Europe (900/1800) phone - $29

You can get a phone for $49 from Telestial. It comes with a $20 airtime credit on the SIM. Plug'n'play.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 10:38 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Because of service issues with the other carriers. Lack of service, dropped calls, and miserable customer service.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 11:04 am

Programs: DL GM; SPG- Gold; HH-Diamond; IHG-Gold
I'm sure the other carriers do this as well, but T-mobile will give you an unlock code for your phone if you've had the phone for 90 days and the account is in good standing. I unlocked my t-mobile blackberry for when I travel overseas. Just call their 800 number and ask for a code.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 1:35 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
Others have hit the nail on the head

Go on ebay search for unlocked gsm quad band. Find a phone you like at a price you are willing to pay. Then check the sellers ratings and if things look good buy it. Charge it up and take it with you. Once you get in country go buy a pre paid SIM out it in your phone and start talking. You may need to activate it (follow the supplied instructions), and also check the website to see if there are any special dialing codes. I just got back from 10 days in singapore I got a SIM card from the local 7-11 from Singtel. I visited the singtel site and learned of 019 dialing and saved a ton of money. I put $20 on the card and never used even that calling the US multiple times a day.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA General Member
I have purchased several unlocked phones on ebay with no problems. Yes, a feedback rating of say, 20, can be faked. A feedback rating of 200 or 2000 is difficult bordering on impossible.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:29 pm

I think it's because if you can get service in your area they offer the most competitive rates. Here in Boston, Verizon has the best network but I get decent reception at home on Sprint. They also offer the absolute lowest monthly cost for the features I need compared to the GSM carriers.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by winkydink
I have purchased several unlocked phones on ebay with no problems. Yes, a feedback rating of say, 20, can be faked. A feedback rating of 200 or 2000 is difficult bordering on impossible.
I bought my unlocked GSM phone on Ebay. If you're not buying the "latest" hot item it's also less likely you'll run into a fraudulent seller.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
Unless you're a T-Mobile or AT&T customer, you do NOT need a quad-band phone.

And if you ARE a customer, you probably already have one.

There's no point in getting a quad-band phone, because although it will work in Europe, it won't work on Verizon, Sprint, Alltel...anything but T-Mo or ATT.

I'd pick up the Telestial deal and maybe buy local SIMs for longish stays in European countries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.