Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for inexpensive wifi pda WITHOUT phone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2007, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm

Now that I have my Slingbox AV, I'm thinking about getting a wifi PDA, probably in the iPAQ family. I don't need or want any phone capabilities - emailing and Slinging are my main focus. I will probably look to eBay or the like for a used one to start, but would appreciate recommendations for a basic wifi pda. Many thanks.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A used Dell Axim x51v would be a good start. Nice large screen, good Wifi and a speedy CPU. Check Ebay.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, SC, Avis PC, HH Gold, Hyatt DM, SPG Gold
Wait for the new HP iPaqs coming out soon. The iPaq 211 looks to have it all. ^

I presently have the Dell Axim X51V and it is great, but alas it is no longer in production.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 8:48 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
lazy I know but

can you techies show any good links to these machines. I am also intererested but only in a good pda/hand held wifi email/web surfing thing. It would be nice while traveling.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
how about going to the Apple Store near you to try the iPod Touch?

If the web browser over wifi and the PIM applications are there, you can take one home. Aren't they out by now?
Old Sep 28, 2007, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BiziBB
how about going to the Apple Store near you to try the iPod Touch?

If the web browser over wifi and the PIM applications are there, you can take one home. Aren't they out by now?
No Slingplayer for the Touch. No adding/editing of calendar entries on the touch...
Old Sep 29, 2007, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
you should be able to pickup a nice used hx4700 for about 200$ maybe less. One can also still buy NEW batteries for it for 25$, if a battery was poor.
best screen out there still in a windows pda. Runs the slingplayer mobile like butta. Largest screen too. I also use the bluetooth connection to get EVDO from my palm when I am out and about.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
I have used an iPAQ 2115 with a Spectec WiFi SD card. You can probably do the whole thing for $100. The PPC also has a CF slot that will take plenty big memories for programs and data. The docking stand has a slot for a spare battery to charge simultaneously with the iPAQ's.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
I have used an iPAQ 2115 with a Spectec WiFi SD card. You can probably do the whole thing for $100. The PPC also has a CF slot that will take plenty big memories for programs and data. The docking stand has a slot for a spare battery to charge simultaneously with the iPAQ's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.