Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Deleted deleted deleted

Deleted deleted deleted

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Nov 26, 2008 at 8:30 am
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:40 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
.....2(b)) Can you run Adobe acrobat and create and open pdf files on a macbook?.....
i'm gonna tackle the easy one

in macosX 10.4 and higher, you can not only run acrobat, and open pdf's but creading a pdf has never been easier. in the print dialog box there is a button labeled "pdf" with a drop down menu and on that menu is "save as pdf". simply give your file a name and use the std dialog box to save the file where ever you'd like and you're done.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:55 am

Programs: Delta DM
I'm considering buying a new laptop...and given the rave reviews for macs here and elsewhere, they seem like pretty good products. However, before I actually buy a macbook, could someone answer the following questions for me?

1) At my local Apple store, they are selling a 13 inch 2.16 ghz with 1 GB RAM and 120 GB Hard Drive for $1299, and the same model (but with 2 GB RAM) for $1475. Both are available to take home today.

However, on Apple's website, the 2GB RAM model doesn't show up--but you can get the 1GB RAM model for $1299, and add another 1 GB of RAM for $150, which gives you a grand total of $1449....or $26 cheaper than what it would cost in their own store.

Is there any reason for this price discrepancy? Am I missing something here?

Buy it at the store and tell them it is cheaper on the website they will honor that price.

2) I understand that you can run Windows on a macbook through either parallels or boot camp. However, I also understand that you can buy Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and run those on Mac's operating system (and, thus, not need to get Windows). So, if all I really want is to use Word or PowerPoint, is there any real reason to get Windows for a macbook?

No Reason to Run Windows unless you use programs that are not avlb on the Mac. Office runs great.

2(a)) Are there any "portability" or "translation" problems in creating Word, Excel, or PowerPoint documents on a macbook (on the mac-based Microsoft software) and then reading, modifying, or using the same documents on a Windows-based computer? Hopefully that makes sense....in short, if I create a Word document on a macbook and then send it to someone who has a pc, will there be any translation problems?

Yes, on PPT there are times when a photo will be reversed and can not be returned to the original state, you would need the original photo to make it back to normal. But other than that no problems.

2(b)) Can you run Adobe acrobat and create and open pdf files on a macbook?

Yes, and to make them, choose the Print and create PDF.

3) It does not appear that the macbook has a "backspace" key. If this is the case, how do you delete letters in a sentence without going to the front of the sentence and just hitting the "delete" key?

I honestly don't know as I just got used to using the delet key on the MBP.

4) Is there anyway to disable the touchpad on a macbook when you are using a mouse?

Yes, in the Pref's panel you can choose that, but I choose to keep it always open and running, even with a mouse attached.

5) I'm a little confused as to what an Airport Extreme Card is. Does this allow you to connect to wireless internet anywhere in the world?

it is the 'wireless' card that you would use for WiFi (Linksys router). It is not a wireless card like a Verizon/ATT card that you dial up.

6) I notice that an attribute of macs is their "stability." What exactly does this mean? That the computer won't crash? That it can handle running multiple programs at once? That you don't have to update the operating system very often--or at all? Something else?

I hardly ever have a crash. It is just a stable OS and most programs run without hitch.

7) For those who are actual macbooks users who used to use a Windows-based machine, is there anything that you miss having or that took you a very long time to get used to?

I have told all switchers to give it 4 weeks before you throw it out the window. Be patient it is a different thinking of how it runs and is used compared to PC. I have yet to have anyone go and take it back because they didn't like it.

8) Lastly, for someone who is only looking at using a computer to create documents, do some internet stuff, and store home photos and the like (no real gaming or anything of the sort), is there some rule of thumb as to how much hard drive space you should get?

As big as you can afford and is avlb is my rule of thumb (plus the speed). I go with Big, fast speed, and price.

Thanks!

Hope that that helped clear a few things up.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:58 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
I'm considering buying a new laptop...and given the rave reviews for macs here and elsewhere, they seem like pretty good products. However, before I actually buy a macbook, could someone answer the following questions for me?

1) At my local Apple store, they are selling a 13 inch 2.16 ghz with 1 GB RAM and 120 GB Hard Drive for $1299, and the same model (but with 2 GB RAM) for $1475. Both are available to take home today.

However, on Apple's website, the 2GB RAM model doesn't show up--but you can get the 1GB RAM model for $1299, and add another 1 GB of RAM for $150, which gives you a grand total of $1449....or $26 cheaper than what it would cost in their own store.

Is there any reason for this price discrepancy? Am I missing something here?
I believe the one which includes 2GB has a faster proc, larger drive and DVD-RW vs. only CD-RW (DVD read). Check the specs.
2) I understand that you can run Windows on a macbook through either parallels or boot camp. However, I also understand that you can buy Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and run those on Mac's operating system (and, thus, not need to get Windows). So, if all I really want is to use Word or PowerPoint, is there any real reason to get Windows for a macbook?
True. You can also try OpenOffice.
2(a)) Are there any "portability" or "translation" problems in creating Word, Excel, or PowerPoint documents on a macbook (on the mac-based Microsoft software) and then reading, modifying, or using the same documents on a Windows-based computer? Hopefully that makes sense....in short, if I create a Word document on a macbook and then send it to someone who has a pc, will there be any translation problems?
No issues with interoperability.
2(b)) Can you run Adobe acrobat and create and open pdf files on a macbook?
You can also save-as PDF. If you have no need to do anything fancy with PDF files, you won't need Acrobat.
3) It does not appear that the macbook has a "backspace" key. If this is the case, how do you delete letters in a sentence without going to the front of the sentence and just hitting the "delete" key?
Don't recall which key, but there is one which does this.
4) Is there anyway to disable the touchpad on a macbook when you are using a mouse?
I believe so. Might take some Googling or a visit to the "experts" at the Apple Store.
5) I'm a little confused as to what an Airport Extreme Card is. Does this allow you to connect to wireless internet anywhere in the world?
It's wireless. IIRC Extreme includes a/b/g, vs. just b/g.
6) I notice that an attribute of macs is their "stability." What exactly does this mean? That the computer won't crash? That it can handle running multiple programs at once? That you don't have to update the operating system very often--or at all? Something else?
It doesn't crash as often as Windows. When an application becomes unstable, it doesn't affect the OS. Typical things which mess with a Windows machine don't affect the Mac as there is a much stronger and enforced separation between the system and applications. Installations of applications don't typically affect any OS files or settings. No, "registry" to mess up.

Under the covers, it's a Unix machine with a fancy GUI.
7) For those who are actual macbooks users who used to use a Windows-based machine, is there anything that you miss having or that took you a very long time to get used to?
There are a small number of websites which insist on using Windows-only stuff (ActiveX controls, etc.) There are also many games which won't work on the Mac. Basically, unless you depend on some application which is Windows only, the Mac will be fine. If you do depend on a Windows only application, Parallels is sufficient (albeit expensive when you add the Windows license)... UNLESS your app relies on direct access to hardware or requires good 3D performance.
8) Lastly, for someone who is only looking at using a computer to create documents, do some internet stuff, and store home photos and the like (no real gaming or anything of the sort), is there some rule of thumb as to how much hard drive space you should get?
Thanks!
The rule of thumb is that your stuff will expand to fill all available space. Thus, get as much as you can afford. If you do plan to run Windows as well, you'll need space for that as well... think having two computers worth of space.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:46 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
<snip> UNLESS your app relies on direct access to hardware or requires good 3D performance.</snip>
Given that it's a Macbook, the 3D performance is going to lag no matter what the OS.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum
It seems that many of the particular questions have been addressed. I got my first macbook mid-July and love it! It took a little while to get used to but now I actually have a harder time going back to the pc.

The biggest thing that irks me on the mac is that the touchpad doesn't have a right click button (yes, you can get there by holding down the "Control" key and tapping) so I use a mouse a lot of the time so it's not as big of a deal.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
System Preferences -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Ignore trackpad when mouse is present.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by skAAtinsteph
The biggest thing that irks me on the mac is that the touchpad doesn't have a right click button (yes, you can get there by holding down the "Control" key and tapping) so I use a mouse a lot of the time so it's not as big of a deal.
Or, you can set up the trackpad so that if you have two fingers on it (instead of one) and click the button, that is your right click. I have it set up this way as i usually use two fingers to scroll down the page - and i never use a mouse. Its under Keyboard and Mouse in System Prefs.

I work in the Mac industry and absolutely love the products. Its great to see so many switchers coming over to the platform Yes, Micro$oft still dominate the market and you'll run into the odd issue now and then when you cant run something on your Mac, but with Boot Camp and Parallels, and also the Mac community, its likely that there is a way round most issues. I use only Linux or Mac, and have Windows VM's on Parallels for those rare occasions when i need Windows for testing or running a Win only app. I haven't missed those BSOD's at all!
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
your definitely going to love your macbook. I got mine a few weeks ago. If you think you might need windows for anything. get parallels. Its VERY easy and works great. Id be willing to bet after a few months, you will rarely use it anymore. Me, i run Ubuntu linux, Windows 2008 server, and XP in parallels on my mac book pro. I love this laptop!
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:41 pm

Programs: Northwest, Continential
Originally Posted by kanebear
Given that it's a Macbook, the 3D performance is going to lag no matter what the OS.
You want to expand on that blanket statement! My 2.1 GHz MBP with 2G Ram does just fine with 3D as opposed to my DELL XPM 3.6GHz Windoze Machine..

merc......
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by merc669
You want to expand on that blanket statement! My 2.1 GHz MBP with 2G Ram does just fine with 3D as opposed to my DELL XPM 3.6GHz Windows Machine..

merc......
Read closely.

The poster mentioned the Macbook, not the PRO.

The Macbook has a very slow Intel 950 with shared Ram, the Pro does indeed have a decent video card for a notebook.

3D performance on a MB is going to always be slow, the GPU is slow, and of course the shared ram is slow too.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 1:29 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by merc669
You want to expand on that blanket statement! My 2.1 GHz MBP with 2G Ram does just fine with 3D as opposed to my DELL XPM 3.6GHz Windoze Machine..

merc......

I have the original 15" 2.16Ghz MBP; quite speedy on 3D. The MacBook, unfortunately, doesn't share that trait thanks to the aforementioned shared graphics.

Welcome to FT by the way!
Old Aug 14, 2007, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
...2(a)) Are there any "portability" or "translation" problems in creating Word, Excel, or PowerPoint documents on a macbook (on the mac-based Microsoft software) and then reading, modifying, or using the same documents on a Windows-based computer? Hopefully that makes sense....in short, if I create a Word document on a macbook and then send it to someone who has a pc, will there be any translation problems?...
I've been a Mac user in multi-platform organizations for several years. Basically, no problems. Occasionally something would happen to an embedded graphic: not showing up at all, being resized or cropped oddly, though never the reversal mentioned previously. It didn't happen often. Usually it didn't matter, as we knew what the graphic was and didn't have to have it in place for whatever we were doing. The current releases (Office 2003 for Windows, 2004 for Mac) seem to have fixed whatever it was, or perhaps it's just that I haven't done whatever triggered the problem since upgrading to 2004.

The other translation problem you'll have for a few months will be if your Windows-using friends and colleagues upgrade to Office 2007. The Mac version (to be called Office 2008) should be out next year. Until then you can get file converters (free download from Microsoft on this page) or ask people who send you files to save them in Office 97-2003 formats. (Windows users who haven't upgraded yet are in the same situation, other than having the option to upgrade now if they want to spend the money.)
Old Aug 14, 2007, 3:56 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
The other questions seem to have been well covered. The mystery of the delete key? Well, on a full extended Apple keyboard, both forward and backspace delete keys are labeled "delete". For someone who has never experienced it, I suppose that could be confusing. But they do exactly as their positioning on the keyboard would suggest. In other words, on the Macbook you're looking at, that one key at the top right which is where the "backspace" key should be does, in fact, backspace delete.

What's missing on the Macbook keyboard is a forward delete. If you use that a lot, you'll have to get used to not having it, or using a two-key combination. For a long time in earlier days Mac keyboards never had a forward delete, hence this convention.

Backspace is alive and well and always there. It just doesn't say that word on the key.

PS If you press Fn-Delete on the MacBook it will forward delete.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 5:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, SPG Plat
The Delete key on a Mac is the same as Backspace on a Windows keyboard. You can press Fn+Delete for a right-delete.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.