Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

ITA Tool doesn't work when connected via cell phone (tethering)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2007, 1:31 pm
formerly OliverS
Original Poster

Hi,

I really like ITA's travel tool, as it is sleek and lets you choose one segment at a time.
However when I am connected to the internet via cell phone (i. e. have a BT connection to my phone and the phone serves as modem) I can't really use ITA, I get the following message 9 out of 10 times of trying to get a routing:

Proxy Error

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
The proxy server could not handle the request GET /cvg/dispatch/bonsaiproxy/btp.

Reason: Error reading from remote server
This is independet from the browser I use, although IE does seem to yield a bit better results than Opera or Firefox. With Opera or Firefox it never works, with IE it sometimes does.
I have no problems at all when connected via WLAN.

Any ideas or advice? Or maybe a similar tool?

Tahnks
Old Sep 11, 2007, 2:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This isn't related to the tethering I don't think. This is just something that ITA does every now and then. I believe the issue comes up when their "real" servers can't handle the query load being pushed at them from the Internet-facing servers. I get it every now and then in the office on a 100Mbit link, and a few refreshes or waiting 30 minutes generally solves the problem.

Or you've discovered a pattern that I've never managed to figure out. Wouldn't completely surprise me that I missed it, but I usually just wait it out and the problem goes away. Have you tried a cabled tether instead of BT?

I've used it many a time via a dedicate EvDO card and via cabled tether to a Moto Q and had no problems in those situations.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 10:50 am
formerly OliverS
Original Poster

You have a good point there.
It also makes sense for me personally because my impression of it working fine when connected via cable/DSL/whatever are generated while I am in Germany, my tethering experiences take place in the US.
Thus if main loads occur at certain day times in the US I wouldn't feel those in Germany, but in the US.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've had similar problems with ITA recently on non-tethered connections, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.