Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Great PDA?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Great PDA?

I recently dropped my Crackberry service and so now I need a PDA to keep my calendar in. I'd like a GPS with maps/driving directions and wi fi as well.

What's the current model that represents a good value with the features described? I tried to search but "gps" and "pda" are not long enough to search on.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 12:46 pm

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
If you don't mind an external GPS reciever, then any PDA with Bluetooth should do the trick - you can get a BT GPS off eBay for ~$50 with shipping (Holux M1000). There are some devices that include the GPS, but I can't remember model numbers off the top of my head.

Then, you need to buy mapping software like TomTom for the PDA.

If you go with a Windows Mobile based device and have a live data connection, you can either use Live Search (wls.live.com) or Google Maps to provide rudimentary navigation for free, but again, you have to have a data connection to download maps on the fly. I've got a Blackjack (personal) and Treo 750 (work) and that's my method. GPRS/EDGE data is fast enough to do the maps unless you're fully-zoomed in on an interstate - then the tiles don't always refresh fast enough.

The advantage of the external GPS is that it can be used with other devices if the circumstances warrant - I could use my BT GPS with MS Streets and Trips on my laptop if I wanted, too.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I've just started using one from hp RX5000 range (5935 I think) that has built in GPS and TomTom. In the UK you get maps for all of Western Europe and can
download any other.

They call it a "travel companion" rather than a PDA as it's geared more towards the traveller.

Usual Windows Mobile sync with Outlook as well as pocket work/excel.

Also comes with Travelmate - clocks around the world as well as weather and currency details that it downloads and converts clothing sizes around the world.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 2:24 pm

I don't think it's the best, but I have a Verizon XV6700 (coming out with a much improved 6800 soon). This is a phone, PDA thing. I use bluetooth GPS and Tom Tom Nav 6. Naturally, you get email and Outlook sync with a computer. The real downside is VZ charges 45.00/month for unlimited data plan, and you HAVE to get some kind of data plan. Kind of a rip-off. Good side is VZ has EVDO which is very fast (much, much faster than AT&T). EVDO is available in many places but not all. In remote areas you get "1X" service, which is like fast dialup. You do get data all over, though, pretty much. I used a straight PDA for 10 years before going to a Treo (Palm), then dropping that for Windows Mobile 5 on the XV6700. Good phone with a full keyboard, wifi, EVDO, bluetooth, etc.. Full phone and full PDA function, plus a dumb camera and some other little gimmicks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.