Wiki Posts
Search

Which cellphone plan to get?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2007, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
FlexPlay

Thanks again for all the replies. Until I figure out which monthly plan I want, I am using AT&T Go Phone - which is terrible. I have used up $35 of credit in 6 days but at least know more about what my calling habits are.

~ 300 minutes a month in total including Canada (about 100 nights and 50 weekends + 150 regular)
~ 100 texts
~ voicemail, caller ID
~ about 100 minutes a month to Canada (75 nights and weekends + 25 regular)
~ will roam to Canada about once a month.

I think I will choose the T-Mobile plan; the clerk today told me about FlexPay but I don't really understand it. Is it just a monthly plan without a contract when you pay beforehand?

I don't mind leaving the deposit ($500 ) for a monthly plan but with the way the US$ is going, when I convert the $500 back to CAD$ after 12 months I will have probably lost quite a bit of money.

Also - if I am not on a contract can I "skip" months? i.e. have my plan from Sept-Jun only?

Thanks!
Old Sep 2, 2007, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

bump - thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2007, 3:19 pm

The best website I found to research phones and plans is howardforums.com. Or is it howardforum.com???? If it weren't for the Canadian calls or roaming, I would recommend Sprint sero plan. Do a search at the howardforums website. Good luck. Carrie
Old Sep 5, 2007, 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
Do the math

Pay-as-you-go is only beneficial if you don't use the phone. For most people, a $30 plan (with free gear) is much better than buying a few minutes at a time.

T-Mobile offers free unlimited nights and weekends and free calls to other customers, as well as a US-to-Canada rate.

If you join T-Mo at Wirefly, you can score a free $350 DASH (quad GSM/GPRS/SmartPhone) and a $50 rebate.

Obviously, if you might have to bail, a contract won't work for you. But T-MobileWeb at $5.99/mo is pretty sweet. Unlimited WAP internet access, including gmail.com/app
Old Sep 17, 2007, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

I ended up going with FlexPay T Mobile Basic Plus. I didn't need a contract or credit check so I can stop payments during the summer when I am travelling. I just came back from Canada and rang up $4.50 in roaming charges over 4 days (I am not sure if that is good or bad) but texts while roaming come out of my bundle which is amazing.^ The roaming rate in Canada is $0.69 a minute which is high, but lower than AT&T's $0.79 a minute.

Thanks again for all the replies

Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.