Wiki Posts
Search

Skype out, yes really out!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2007, 2:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
From their pages, this is their story, and they are sticking to it

On Thursday, 16th August 2007, the Skype peer-to-peer network became unstable and suffered a critical disruption. The disruption was triggered by a massive restart of our users’ computers across the globe within a very short timeframe as they re-booted after receiving a routine set of patches through Windows Update.

The high number of restarts affected Skype’s network resources. This caused a flood of log-in requests, which, combined with the lack of peer-to-peer network resources, prompted a chain reaction that had a critical impact.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
From their pages, this is their story, and they are sticking to it

On Thursday, 16th August 2007, the Skype peer-to-peer network became unstable and suffered a critical disruption. The disruption was triggered by a massive restart of our users’ computers across the globe within a very short timeframe as they re-booted after receiving a routine set of patches through Windows Update.

The high number of restarts affected Skype’s network resources. This caused a flood of log-in requests, which, combined with the lack of peer-to-peer network resources, prompted a chain reaction that had a critical impact.
So in other words...blame Microsoft.

Hmm...why not...everyone else does it.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by goldrush3
So in other words...blame Microsoft.
Just sing it to the theme of Blame Canada.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Just got the following e-mail from them:

Hello [my Skype name]

You may or may not know but last week Skype wasn't available for a couple of days. There were a number of reasons for this and I am delighted to say that the problem is now well and truly sorted and everything is back to normal. For those of you who tried to use Skype during that time but couldn't, we're very sorry. For those of you who didn't try to use Skype - well thankfully you were not affected but we want to reassure everyone that Skype is now working happily and the problem is fixed.

We know we have many faithful users out there who give us feedback (good and bad) on what we're doing as a company. The Skype community makes us what we are. Without you, our users, we simply wouldn't exist. We've helped people stay in touch with their friends and family over the past four years without any massive hitch and we want it to stay that way.

When the unexpected happens, it's important to remember the people who stuck behind us and whose loyalty humbled us. I want to thank everyone for their support, patience and being part of the Skype community. And for those of you who missed out on using Skype last week - I want to especially thank you as well.

As a goodwill gesture to all you faithful Skype Pro, Skype Unlimited, SkypeIn or Skype Voicemail customers, we're adding an additional seven days to your current subscription, free of charge. And even if you didn't miss out on using Skype last week - you can still have a week free on Skype, on the house!

So please enjoy it, call your loved ones, friends, family and colleagues and thanks again.

Talk soon,
The people at Skype
Old Aug 21, 2007, 12:12 pm

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
Yes I got this plain jane email, but I appreciated the generosity in the offer. I was out 1 day, and they gave me 7 days so that was more than fair. I would have thought Skype would have prettied up the image as they do that for most things.

Phil
Old Aug 21, 2007, 12:31 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by Pointeater
Only skype to skype is free. As is Yahoo msngr to Yahoo msngr. Outside of this equation you pay.
Skype has also introduced a connection fee of 3.9c...bit of a pain when the person you need to speak to is not available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.