Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nokia 770 Internet Tablets Going Cheap

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2007, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MBM3
Got mine this morning and have been having a blast figuring out how to use it. Unfortunately it does not easily connect to my Dash, but it does to my company phone.

I will try GPS when I get home tonight.

This site seemed to be useful as well:

https://garage.maemo.org/
Did you upgrade your Dash to WindowsMobile 6 by any chance?
Old Jul 31, 2007, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC
Yes, I did, and I know that is the cause of my issue. I tried some of the, uh, workarounds but they didnt work with the official flash.

No biggy as I have a workaround, but it would be nice to get it working with the Dash.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MBM3
Yes, I did, and I know that is the cause of my issue. I tried some of the, uh, workarounds but they didnt work with the official flash.

No biggy as I have a workaround, but it would be nice to get it working with the Dash.
Did you do the workaround on the 770 or the Dash?

Over at xda-developers they seem to be getting close to finally getting DUN working again on their devices.

I got it back on my TyTN after a patch too.

Stupid Microsoft for removing it. They claimed it wasn't necessary anymore now they implemented Bluetooth PAN. But forgot that there are still 100's of devices that only support DUN.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
My 770 Experiences

A couple of good websites about the Nokia 770 are nokia770.com and InternetTabletTalk.com, along with a couple of threads in FatWallet.com (one is http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/743064/10982166#m10982166).

Here is some advice I've read or discovered in the few days I've had mine:
  • Be sure that the city in Control Panel | Date and Time is set correctly. London is the default.
  • The greatest 770 enthusiasts, with the most interesting applications, are linux fans. What is simple and intuitive to them may not be simple and intuitive to most folks.
  • Setting the Internet radio to additional "channels" is non-intuitive. Do a search in the forums for "Shoutcast" to learn a method that works.
  • For best performance, insert the memory card and turn on virtual memory.
  • The 2-pages icon on the left is the doorway to settings, control panel, etc.
  • The first time you connect via WiFi to a new access point, the 770 will ask if you want to memorize it. Don't agree until you see if it actually works, because it's not easy to un-memorize those settings.
I am able to get into some SSL websites. The WiFi receiver seems to be very sensitive, showing many available networks.

Last edited by Middle_Seat; Aug 2, 2007 at 4:58 am
Old Aug 1, 2007, 6:57 am

DHL just dropped the package off. So far it works very well and I'm glad that I bought it. I just wish that I had opted for the Navicore bundled edition since it seems that the car cradle for the 770 isn't readily available. I plan to use it tethered to my Nokia phone seeing that I got unlimited dataplan on it when out and about.

It's a shame that it hasn't quite got the power to play back xvid's and thus requiring conversion.

The formfactor is really great and the screen is bright.

Thanks for the tip!
Old Aug 1, 2007, 7:59 am

Did you do the workaround on the 770 or the Dash?

Over at xda-developers they seem to be getting close to finally getting DUN working again on their devices.

I got it back on my TyTN after a patch too.

Stupid Microsoft for removing it. They claimed it wasn't necessary anymore now they implemented Bluetooth PAN. But forgot that there are still 100's of devices that only support DUN.
I tried the Dash as I am not all that confident about working with Linux, though I am sure I can find a Linux geek on my team to play with the 770.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, KLM Cardboard
Originally Posted by Aerotec
Also it won't let me log in to www.ba.com. Can someone else try please! When I click the "Exec Club Number" field it causes the page to refresh.
You get the same problem with BA.com on Opera Mobile. If you can, switch Javascript off for the login, then re-enable it after you're in. Annoying, but it works.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 8:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Gold, easyJet Flight Club, Global Entry
Originally Posted by fredl
DHL just dropped the package off. So far it works very well and I'm glad that I bought it.
Oh dear, yours truly didn't go for the DHL option from Expansys so they sent it Royal Mail...who are on strike in various parts...so nobody has just dropped mine off..hey ho, looking forward to it when it does eventually arrive
Old Aug 2, 2007, 10:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Is the PAN issue only in WM6?
Old Aug 3, 2007, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
I had been thinking of getting a tablet PC - was looking for something larger than my PalmTX but smaller than my laptop. But after watching the demo video on the buy.com website, the Nokia 770 doesn't seem to be all that much different than my PalmTX. Or am I missing something that you technophiles can shed some light on (especially those of you that already have one)?
Old Aug 4, 2007, 3:34 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Gold, easyJet Flight Club, Global Entry
Originally Posted by neilyork
Oh dear, yours truly didn't go for the DHL option from Expansys so they sent it Royal Mail...who are on strike in various parts...so nobody has just dropped mine off..hey ho, looking forward to it when it does eventually arrive
It arrived Thursday ^ Broken by Friday

Was working fine, then when I came to it last night it was just a blank white screen. Off it goes back to Expansys. Doing a search on the web it looks like they are prone to this illness.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Bad luck there. Good luck with the replacement. I'm so unlucky with mail order that I just assume the first of anything will go back!
Old Aug 4, 2007, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (TMobile DASH: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; ; Linux armv5tejl; U) Opera 8.02 [en_US] Maemo browser 0.4.34 N770/SU-18)

Im pretty happy with mine. i want to try the BT keyboard program. using with y Nokia 6230 ws like falling off a log. others have been more difficult. posting with it now rom a train. great deal at 130.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 10:59 am

Does the 770 have enough juice to run Skype? I'm looking for something that will let me make VOIP calls from Europe and I want to stop taking my laptop on short trips.

Something else I'm considering is a Wing from T-Mobile, but am concerned that it won't be able to run Skype. But something like that would be great if it worked since then I could leave my other phone behind.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 4:49 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
I believe I read in another forum that, out of the box, the 770 cannot run Skype. The 800 can, but it costs over $200 more.

It may be possible to replace the 770's operating system with one that has been hacked to run Skype (it's open source linux), but I think there were stability or other problems with that OS version.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.