Help - Add a Linksys Wireless Router after a Cisco 1700 Router

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2007, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...

Ok Folks, I need help again.

I have a T1 Line and the Telecom company installed a Cisco 1700 router. It is a non wireless router and it is set up for this telecom company with all configuration and such done by them. I am not in the mainland. I want to add a Linksys Wireless Router Model WRT54GS to the system and I can't seem to get the Linksys to be recognized.

I understand, I should try to set the Linksys using one of my static IP addresses and such but I'm running into a little bit of a problem doing this for some reason. The way I undertand it and this info could be complete BS but I have to set up the Linksys as if it were a stand alone piece of equipment first, and the software is run by the computer, so I hook up the cable from the computer to the Linksys and the Linksys to the Cisco 1700 but I'm getting nothing so is there an easy way to do this or am I missing a few steps?

Right now we do have a hub hooked up and I'd like to remove that and put in the wireless hook up. When I used the wireless on the regular line at home it was plug and play so I'm not sure why I'm getting a problem now that I have to use the Cisco 1700 before it.

Any suggestions?
Old Jul 3, 2007, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
CISCO a router

If the cisco is truly a router, just connect the linky to the cisco, and let it serve up wireless DHCP for any wireless clients.

It should grab and address from the cisco just fine.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The linksys has to run in bridge mode.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 4:34 pm

Programs: /usr/bin
If the Cisco is assigning IP addresses dynamically then you should be able to plug it into your Linksys WAN port and have it just work magically. If it still doesn't work then you should make sure that the Linksys and the Cisco aren't trying to take the same IP address or issue IP addresses on the same subnet. The Linksys defaults to 192.168.1.1.

If your T1 came with static, public-facing IP addresses then you'll have to configure your Linksys to use one of the IP addresses that you own.

If you can get your computer to work plugged into the Cisco (or through a hub) then all you have to do is take whatever settings that your desktop has and configure your Linksys with the same settings. Once you've confirmed via the Linksys status page that it has the correct IP address you should be able to plug your machine directly into the Linksys and start getting local IP addresses assigned to you.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 4:45 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
I do not think you need to run any software to configure the linksys router.
Just fire it up and it should take the default IP address of 192.168.0.1

You can then connect your laptop/desktop to the wired port and
point your browser to http://192.168.0.1/
(Login with the default login/password - I forgot what it is suppose to be)

Then you can configure the uplink of the linksys with the static IP
assigned to you by the ISP.. (and the DNS, netmask etc.. )

You can then configure the linksys for the rest of the setup
(wireless, lan, IP& port translation etc.. etc)

I hope I understood your request correctly.. and I hope this helps.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
If you can run a wire from the cisco router to the linksys, you will need to go into the linksys router and change the ip to something other than the cisco, you will also need to change the linksys to router mode and not gateway, you should then have wireless access available to you through the linksys.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Thanks folks, I think I'm following what I need to do. The way I understand it we have a static IP address with the cisco router. We don't have a techno weenie on island as our telecom provider HQ's is not on this island and they are saying things via email (in a different language that does not really have words for computer work) that isn't really clear. All I know is that they deadly afraid I'm gonna screw up the router. I personally think they don't want folks playing with things as they won't even give us the software for the cisco router.

So I think I'm gonna get there. Unfortunately right when I think I got it I'm gonna have to wait till I get back from an unplanned trip.

Thanks All, I'll be sure to chime in when I'm back and I've totally screwed the system
Old Jul 3, 2007, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the Cisco is set up for static IP's you very well might need to enter the IP into the config of the Linksys.

There's something strange with the modern Linksys equipment that I've used--it seems that the *ONLY* way to set it up is via it's setup disk, you can't simply take it out of the box, log in and set it up the way you want. This works fine if everything else is working but if you have some other problem also it's a royal pain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.