Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Recovering A Lost Yahoo Password Cookie Or Other Method?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2007, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire

I have a friend who lost their Yahoo password. The regular Yahoo password recovery process prompts them to enter the DOB plus zip code. However, this does not work. Likely they entered the wrong zip code when the account was created.

I did some searches on Google, and it sounds like the password may be stored in the local cookie file. However, I tried 2-3 password recovery tools that use the cookie, and none worked. In fact, one only installed a help and uninstall icon.

The only other password recovery methods Yahoo seems to support are:
*Credit Card = Person never used a credit card on Yahoo; and
Other Email Address = Person did not select a other email address.

Any idea how this person might recover their password?
Old Jun 6, 2007, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even though the password may be in a cookie, the cookie won't contain the actual password, just a session ID.

Is there any PC they may have saved the password on? In Firefox you can view all saved passwords.

Other than that it sounds like they are screwed, Yahoo has intentional security safeguards in place, and if you don't know your password or the zip you gave them then chances are you'll never get into the account.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:16 pm

Programs: CO 1 Ply
I had fun with Y! late last year with password troubles. One nite I logged in just fine, the next morning I was getting an incorrect password message. Someone had changed it on me. Y! wanted an alternate email address, and there are only 3 others I ever had, but none of those worked. Anyways, an email and 2 phone calls both wouldn't ask me for the answer to a security question (which, because I had created the account many years ago, that option wasn't created, so I didn't have one to give). I did snail mail the information they requested, and after a follow up email, was given a new temp password. It took a couple of weeks, but I finally got it resolved. I'll PM you the phone numbers I used (it's almost impossible to find on the site) since I don't know if posting them would be a TOS no-no (Mods: if it is OK, I can add them later on for future reference).

Frank
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/password_sniffer.html

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mspass.html

http://www.nirsoft.net/password_recovery_tools.html

Good luck.

FYI in the future tell him/her to use keepass ( google for keepass - absolutely the best )
Old Jun 7, 2007, 12:14 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
FYI in the future tell him/her to use keepass ( google for keepass - absolutely the best )
How do you use keepass? I got it for Mac OSX Tiger. There is no manual and I can't figure out (with any degree of confidence) what to do. Perhaps a little shy to experiment as the subject is password security.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Resolved - Yahoo Telephone Support

Thanks to the information from unkfrank my friend was able to call the toll free Yahoo support number. After verifying information, the password has now been reset and sent to an alternate email address for the user.

I had a similar circumstance with Gmail a couple of weeks ago, and managed to remember the password. But they too have an "alternate email address" feature, but my alternate email address was no longer live. Also with Gmail if the alt email does not work, you have to wait about 5 days before you can answer the security questions. I was not able to find a Google tel#, and in some searching the procedures were not really in place for such an issue.

These anecdotes might remind us its good to check the settings buried in your email accounts, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.