Search

Just got a new cell phone :-)

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2007, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond
Just got a new cell phone :-)

Hi

At work we don't have any stationary phones anymore and hence the employer has to give us good cell phone :-) As we are moving over to a new provider I had to get a new phone...I chose another Sony Ericsson as I'm pretty happy with my old W810i. The new one in K810i and it has a 3.2 mega pixel camera and that means that I can take even better pictures for my restaurant blog http://eatingoutinstavanger.blogspot.com/ It is pretty amazing by the way how it is possible to travel these days and send MMS to people at home showing pictures of what you experience...I love this functionality. Now for the usual challenge...how do I get my contacts transferred from one phone to the other

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures

Here is a picture of the new phone...taken with the old phone: http://gardkarlsen.com/misc/K810i.JPG
Old May 31, 2007, 10:22 am
iff

I can't help you with transferring the contacts, but I'd love to hear your impressions of the phone, especially in comparison to the W810i.

I need to replace my cell phone and have been considering the K810i or else the W810i, if my budget doesn't allow the K810i. I also need to replace my old digital camera (1.3 MP Olympus Brio D150, so pretty much anything would be an improvement). I'm not a high-volume nor a skilled photographer, and my most important criterion is easy portability (it needs to fit easily in a purse or pocket), so if I replaced my camera I would want something about the size of the Sony DSC-T10. I really don't want to shell out for an expensive cell phone AND an expensive camera, so I'm wondering how well the K810i or the W810i would serve both functions for me.

What are your impressions so far?
Old May 31, 2007, 11:09 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Wild guess here, not familiar with the phone, can you put your new sim in your old phone, write all the records to the SIM and then read them from the new phone?

I do that all the time between phones.
Old May 31, 2007, 11:35 am

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by gardkarlsen
how do I get my contacts transferred from one phone to the other
You should be able to transfer them over Bluetooth. First, enable Bluetooth on both phones and pair them. Then, on the W810i, navigate to the Phonebook menu and look for "Send all contacts" option. It may be buried in "Manage contacts" or "Business card" or "Advanced" menu. Once you select the "Send all contacts" option, select "Bluetooth" and then the K810i's name. You may have to hit OK on K810i to begin the transfer. After few seconds, everything should be copied to K810i.
Old May 31, 2007, 12:05 pm

new sony ericsson

check out http://www.fjsoft.at/en/ for myphoneexplorer and back up your stuff on your PC as well.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 8:22 am

I'm a mac user but my son has PC.

On a mac, i can merely drag photo and other files to the desktop and then copy back to new phone ..... with phone/contacts, i use isync but if you aren't mac user, that won't help you.

When we bought our w810i, he installed SE software that came with phone to pc and supposedly can download and transfer files, etc. etc. That should work for you.

The other suggestions of downloading to your SIM or your memory stick should also work?
Old Jun 1, 2007, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Hi

I did figure it out...yes, SonyEricsson has a nice function of transferring contacts using bluetooth ^ The problem with transferring them from phone to SIM card is that you don't get all the information transferred.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 9:03 am

Programs: DL CO UA
I think Radio Shack or Tiger Direct has a '"sim card cloner/reader" or something like that, where you take your old sim card out put it in this machine and it copies it. Then you put your new sim card in the machine and then it transfers what it copied from your old sim card to your new sim card. If I get a chance I'll try and search for this thing.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by dtsm
...On a mac, i can merely drag photo and other files to the desktop and then copy back to new phone ..... with phone/contacts, i use isync but if you aren't mac user, that won't help you...
Getting slightly off-topic, can you move photos from the phone to your Mac this way? I've been trying to, using Bluetooth at both ends, but haven't gotten it to work so far. (Yes, they're paired and see each other.) If you don't want to clutter up this thread too much, you can PM me, but possibly other people might be interested in at least the general answer.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Efrem
Getting slightly off-topic, can you move photos from the phone to your Mac this way? I've been trying to, using Bluetooth at both ends, but haven't gotten it to work so far.
My w810i has both phone memory and separate memory stick.

I use BT connection and can search my phone memory and move photos btw mac/phone. Open/pair BT and then go to 'browse device' under BT menu, you should get the phone to pop up on your desktop to then search, manipulate, etc.

With memory stick, I actually use a separate card reader - never tried BT for simple reason that faster with separate reader. I use 1 and 2 gb memory sticks to load mp3 as well as download pictures.

Hope this helps...pm me if you need more.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 2:50 pm

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
Originally Posted by gaelflyer
check out http://www.fjsoft.at/en/ for myphoneexplorer and back up your stuff on your PC as well.
This looks like a fantastic tool. I wish I could find something like this for Nokia or SyncML.

Last edited by UAVirgin; Jun 1, 2007 at 3:17 pm Reason: fixed reference to syncml
Old Jun 2, 2007, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Hi

I have only had the phone a couple of days but so far I'm satisfied. There is not that much difference when moving from the W810i to K810i as they are both using more or less the same menu. For me it is important that the phone is easy to operate for calling and that the sound quality is good. Battery life is also an important issue. And this phone seems to fulfill the needs so far...the camera has also been improved so that is an added bonus. Some of the critic given in reviews of the K810i is that there are not a lot of news on it compared to the K800. I guess that is correct but sometimes I feel that there are so many functions and gadgets on the phones and you don't use half of it anyway. The screen is much better on the K810i compared to the W810i by the way.

My wife just bought a new Nokia E65 by the way...nice phone, light, looks good etc. But the battery life sucks big time and it has died on her in the middle of a phone call several times already and she has only had it for a month or two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.