Search

BVI Cellphone

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2007, 8:43 pm
mkt
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Question BVI Cellphone

It's time for another cellphone thread But since I searched and can't find the answer I'm looking for, I should be safe

Anyway, I have to travel to BVI for a few days, and I'm curious about cell service there. I can't find any details on cellphone coverage on the island, will my Sprint 800/1900MHZ CDMA handset work on the island (not likely), or should I take an unlocked GSM handset, etc.

If I need to take the unlocked handset, which SIM card should I bring/get?

Any and all help is appreciated.
Old May 14, 2007, 2:04 pm
mkt
Original Poster

http://www.sailonline.com/charterers/Cell_phone.html

Well, according to that link, I may still be able to receive my US signal.. or at least roam onto Verizon
Old May 14, 2007, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_vg.shtml
Old May 14, 2007, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold DL Gold VY apologist
Be careful, because roaming on CCT can be very, very, very, very, very, very expensive. It's been a couple years, but I was charged $5/minute for calls to the US.

They also (I believe) still have an AMPS network that might be cheaper if you can find a handset.
Old May 14, 2007, 7:23 pm

Roaming is very expensive there. You can use your sprint phone in some areas for about $3.49 er minute.
http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/co...cdad144723263a
Old May 14, 2007, 7:25 pm

It might be cheaper to buy a Quad Band gsm phone and a prepaid sim card from telestial.com. They also sell phones.

http://www.telestial.com/view_produc...T_ID=MSIM-EX01
Old May 14, 2007, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
It's been a few years but I had some luck picking up the Sprint signal from Puerto Rico in St John (no roaming). If you are in certain parts of of Tortola you might have the same luck.
Old May 27, 2007, 5:37 pm
mkt
Original Poster

random update, I called CCT (the local cellphone company) today, and was able to get an agent to answer (on a Sunday!). They do offer prepaid SIM cards, but he wasn't able to give me any details. I'll call tomorrow and hopefully get someone that knows more than this person.
Old May 27, 2007, 6:13 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
As to the phone, you should probably plan on an unlocked GSM triband covering the bands you need. I just picked one up on e-bay today for under $25 delivered, so it's not a huge expense.
Old May 27, 2007, 7:00 pm

Programs: SK*S, AA PLT, US*S
We have a catamaran down there, we always use a satellite phone. I guess my dad is roaming on his phone, probably a Norwegian phone, but I try not to turn my one.
Old May 27, 2007, 7:57 pm

We had decent service on St. Thomas (USVI) with our regular sprint phones in Feb 06. No roaming required.
Old May 28, 2007, 5:31 pm
mkt
Original Poster

I finally contact CCT wireless. $20 for the SIM Card with $0 value, and just top it off as needed. $1ish/minute to the US, $.25 to send SMS.

Edit... they do peak/off peak billing and SMS rates change on Jun 1

7am-6pm Weekdays, $1.34 to the US
6pm-7am Weekdays, $.94 to the US
Weekends, $.84 to the US.

$.35 cents mobile to mobile on CCT network (since my colleagues are getting SIM cards as well, this is invaluable.

$.12 outgoing, free incoming.

That sounds quite a bit more reasonable to me.

Last edited by mkt; May 28, 2007 at 5:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.