Reload this Page >

Cell phone as modem: I outsmart myself

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cell phone as modem: I outsmart myself

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2007, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Lots of luck to you.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 3:55 am

Whether or not one is using an aircard or tethering a phone, a data plan is required. They have had promotions in the past for about $60 ($20 less than the 'normal' 'unlimited' rate), but $15 for vcast and tethering is technically not correct.

I would not be surprised to see charges if you transfer a lot of data, but the occasional use with low to moderate data transfer won't be noticed. Heck, even if one DOES pay for the unlimited plan, the TOS states it can be used only for email and web browsing (no peer to peer, no gaming, etc).

Whether or not the agent was incorrect in their statement or if VZW can be legally held to what was said by their agent is not my area of expertise.

As for Verizon agents, let's not forget the now famous "Verizon Math" debacle!
Old Apr 30, 2007, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I connect using my T-Mo Dash + USB cable, and it works alright. I'm also signed up for an unlimited data plan that includes T-Mo HotSpot access for $30/month... though apparently with the DASH, no data plan is needed at all, and connection is free (on a brief reading of a cell phone forum).

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Lots of luck to you.
I'm not sure he's the lawyer who needs it.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 8:12 am

What a funny thread. Use the USB charging or data/charging cable so you can start using the pleading wizard in word to prepare your court case against Verizon. Be sure to let us know what happens. Good luck.

Verizon tried to push that content thing on me too when I switched last time with the old 1 month free deal. When I realized it didn't include data (as a modem) I told them to remove it as soon as I could. If you didn't remove it before the 1 month ended, they would start billing you for it.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Apr 30, 2007 at 8:17 am
Old Apr 30, 2007, 8:48 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EX-AA Explat, WN Loyalist
I used my PPC6700 (Sprint) using a PAM plan for around 6 months. I grew tired of having to give up making voice calls while a data session was active. I finally negotiated with Sprint's retentions department to give me a EVDO data card for free as well as unlimited data usage on the phone and PC card for $39.99/month!

With retentions, I find I get deals that are sometimes unbelievable!

for a good forum for sprint WWW.sprintusers.com
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:18 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
The Verizon Wireless Agreement

In case anyone is interested in reading the current subscriber agreement offerered to Verizon Wireless customers, it is available on the Web at http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/g...rAgreement.jsp

While the entire agreement is worth reading, I found the section entitled "About This Agreement" to be particularly useful. Here is a quote from this section:
"This agreement and the documents to which it refers form the entire agreement between us on their subjects. You can't rely on any other documents or statements on those subjects by any sales or service representatives, and you have no other rights with respect to service or this agreement, except as specifically provided by law."
Old Apr 30, 2007, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Maybe in California, but, again, who says California law governs?
It appears that the VZW standard customer agreement chooses the state encompassing the area code of the customer's wireless number. Since PT lives in CA it would appear that CA law should govern.

Except to the extent we've agreed otherwise in the provisions on late fees, collection costs and arbitration, this agreement and disputes covered by it are governed by the laws of the state encompassing the area code assigned to your wireless phone number when you accepted this agreement, without regard to the conflicts of laws and rules of that state.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/g...rAgreement.jsp
Old Apr 30, 2007, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

In case anyone is interested in reading the current subscriber agreement offerered to Verizon Wireless customers, it is available on the Web at http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/g...rAgreement.jsp

While the entire agreement is worth reading, I found the section entitled "About This Agreement" to be particularly useful. Here is a quote from this section:
"This agreement and the documents to which it refers form the entire agreement between us on their subjects. You can't rely on any other documents or statements on those subjects by any sales or service representatives, and you have no other rights with respect to service or this agreement, except as specifically provided by law."
Still arguing counselor? Look this up: "post-formation modification"
Old May 1, 2007, 7:08 am

I can't speak to Verizon specifically, but Verizon has an industry reputation for being the most attune to abusers. Vcast should not be used for general internet surfing and the usage patterns would probably be obvious for someone who tethers if the phone itself has not been programmed to give that information away.

I know that PDA users who tether pass around hacks to make it hard for Verizon to spot and PDA usage can often mirror laptop usage (e.g. regular websites, e-mail pulls, IMs, etc).

I always tether via a cable for battery life purposes. Look at boxwave.com for a good selection of cables.
Old May 1, 2007, 7:10 am

What a sales rep tells you won't modify a contract, but can often be a enough to get a single month of charges reversed -- at least if you are a good customer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.