Wiki Posts
Search

How many cell phones do you carry?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2007, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Originally Posted by allset2travel
I used to have 2 (with 2 different numbers). Its such a pain to carry so darn many chargers and cords (for camera, bluetooth, shaver, notebook, iPod....), I finally consolidated to 1 now. When Nikon can give me a 10.2 Megapixel camera with a phone and MP3, I will consolidate further in fraction of a nanosecond.
I find that the all in one devices still to be far inferior to the specialized gadgets. Not to mention bulky as well.

I carry multiple phones - T-Mobile, Sprint, Cingular - all RAZRs. That way I only have one charger to carry, and have great coverage anywhere I go.

I only pay for one of these phones, the others are paid for by the business.

My smartphones were too bulky and sit at home - blackberry / Treo.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
at least three. my company makes email software for pretty much every mobile platform, so i've got to have a lot of different ones. i'm currently carrying an e70, a cingular 8125, and a imate jam.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 4:06 pm

Just two....

....a Nokia 9300i for "private" use, for which I foot the bill. And, a Nokia 9300i for "company" use, for which they foot the bill.

I've got a Japanese phone too, but I drag that out only when in Japan.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 4:12 pm

I used to carry 2 phones and a pager, but quite a few years dropped the pager and now carry 2.

(It's only 2 during work time for me... rest of the time the phone just sits aside )
Old Apr 6, 2007, 4:34 pm

In the UK: One. A fairly basic Nokia.

Outside the UK: One or two, depending on where I am. I have local SIM cards in some places that I visit regularly, and a SIM with a Liechtenstein (!) number for inexpensive roaming in Europe. I carry my UK SIM in one phone and the local or Liechtenstein one in the other.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 3:19 am

Programs: (formerly) Northwest, Continental, Delta, American, United, ANA
One; a Sony-Ericsson K750i with an FM radio, MP3 player, 2MP digicam, and a 2gb stick. Four devices in one. It's unlocked, and I have SIMs for where I need to go. In Japan or Korea, I rent one at the airport.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 5:12 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
I always have two mobile phones on at all times, one is a China SIM and the other is a Hong Kong sim. One is a Dopod 828 Pro and the other is a Nokia 6300.

I also have a second 6300 which is use whilst travelling in addition to my China/HK phones - I have active SIM cards for India, Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, USA, UK, Australia, UAE, Thailand, and Switzerland.

Now...does anyone know of a good sim card organizer...leather or otherwise? Right now, i just tape them back into the plastic holder that they came in.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 5:18 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Currently, one mobile phone. A vintage red Nokia 8210 though techinically not Product (red).

Have gone the full circle through the Blackberry 7290 (most of my friends text me rather than email) and the Treo 650 (would have reset twice in the time it takes to post this message).

Something to be said for simplicity.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 8:31 am

I have six sim cards -- two US (I'd like to reduce it to one), a UK SIM, a Dubai SIM, and three roaming SIMs.

Right now, I'm carrying a Nokia E61 with a TMobile $29 a month all you can eat data SIM. It is pulling minutes from my wife's plan so I don't use it for voice (other than to "My Fav" numbers). I've just got done with 18 months in Dubai and have 4,000 minutes banked as roll over minutes with Cingular. When I use them up, I'm going over to TMobile.

The E61 and the Tytn can both emulate a Blackberry. When I was abroad I was on an international Blackberry plan and kept a US SIM in the E61 and carried a Nokia N70 with my local SIM in it.

To the original poster, think about an E61. You can receive your company e-mail on it because it supports MS-Exchange and your Blackberry on the same device. If you go with an HTC device, go over to xdadevelopers, there is a hack you need to use to get Blackberry Connect running on them.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by slickalick
I always have two mobile phones on at all times, one is a China SIM and the other is a Hong Kong sim. One is a Dopod 828 Pro and the other is a Nokia 6300.

I also have a second 6300 which is use whilst travelling in addition to my China/HK phones - I have active SIM cards for India, Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, USA, UK, Australia, UAE, Thailand, and Switzerland.

Now...does anyone know of a good sim card organizer...leather or otherwise? Right now, i just tape them back into the plastic holder that they came in.

Telestial.com (which sells overpriced prepaid SIMs online) gives you a credit card sized device with five slots for SIM cards. E-mail them and see if they will sell you the device only. If you want a picture of the unit, send me a PM. Covertec cases for many smartphones also have SIM card slots.

There is also this:

http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05...838&t_mode=des
Old Apr 7, 2007, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
I like the idea of keeping a spare phone or two, with SIMs for other country travel use. From experience, just as a precaution, if you are not going to use the phone for a while, remove and store the SIM in a secure place.

If your home or office is robbed, you still have the SIM in that safe place, while the thief has what they want (and would steal anyway, if it looks okay).
Old Apr 7, 2007, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
I have my work phone only. It will roam internationally when I need it to. I have a personal SIM on our family's cellphone plan, but don't need to use it.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 1:42 pm

Programs: SK*G & Centurion
I always carry two cell phones, usually a smartphone (Nokia E61, now HP iPAQ hw6915) and a more "trendy" phone for nightlife/personal use (Nokia 8800). Unlike the rest of you, both phones have the same number - it's called "Twin SIM" and it works great. Just leave your work-phone at home and the other one will take over, without having to change SIM cards etc. as both phones will actually receive the same call.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 2:11 pm

Two devices: Treo 700 (work), basic Nokia freebie (personal).
Old Apr 7, 2007, 2:16 pm

I use one, but i have two numbers for it. The number it came with from Syracuse, NY (315) and a local number at school in Lancaster, PA (717). I use skype for the second number. $39.99 buys a number for the year then its just 2cents a minute for calls i take on the 717 number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.