Jeep navigation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:56 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Jeep navigation

I was looking to buy a car and bring it out to Poland. I was looking at the built in GPS touch screen systems that the Jeep has. Would I be able to change that to Europe, or buy new DVDs for it? Or should I just go with something like tomtom?
Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jason8612
I was looking to buy a car and bring it out to Poland. I was looking at the built in GPS touch screen systems that the Jeep has. Would I be able to change that to Europe, or buy new DVDs for it? Or should I just go with something like tomtom?
You should be able to buy the European DVD's for it -- you should be able to actually order it before you leave. I'd ring a DCX dealer and just ask if you can order it and how much (just pretend you own the vehicle)

BTW, the DCX system is NOT touch screen. Unless they've just gone to that in the 2007/2008 vehicles (I have a 2006 Chrysler and it's not touch screen)

Steve
Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sllevin
You should be able to buy the European DVD's for it -- you should be able to actually order it before you leave. I'd ring a DCX dealer and just ask if you can order it and how much (just pretend you own the vehicle)

BTW, the DCX system is NOT touch screen. Unless they've just gone to that in the 2007/2008 vehicles (I have a 2006 Chrysler and it's not touch screen)

Steve
Oh, its not touchscreen?
Is it only DVD nav, or will iit show vehicle information, bluetooth calls, etc on the screen?
Maybe I would just get the 6 disc changer one and get tomtom
Old Mar 12, 2007, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
the radio is differant as well, IIRC, they lock onto .even freq and not .odd freq. My 2001 Jeep radio wouldn't work at all, as well of course, things like RDS didn't work but the radio didn't either.

I picked up the european single disc at the time, (since I worked for the company) and the DVD worked just fint
Old Mar 12, 2007, 5:53 pm

My system (and again, YMMV, my car is a 2006 300C SRT-8) will show the phone number of the incoming calls -- as well as the number of the outbound calls -- but the car's system information is displayed on the LED EVIC up on the dash between the tach and the speedo.

It's a decent nav system although I would prefer touchscreen. Personally, I'd go with the Kenwood touch screen system; we have it in my wife's Scion as an aftermarket install and we've always been happy with it (it's the same basic system Jag OEM's, and she had a Jag before the Scion).

Steve
Old Mar 13, 2007, 5:57 am
Original Poster

any decks that are touchscreen and fit into the jeep like the Jeep one? with GPS with maps of europe, and it would work with a cd changer, maybe ipod plug, bluetooth for the cell phone, etc?
Old Mar 13, 2007, 6:54 am

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
The two built-in GPS units I've seen did not have anywhere near the dsplay quality of the Garmin unit I have used. By that I don't mean the quality or resolution of the LCD screen, but the mapping software. The Garmin maps were much easy to read quickly, and on top of that you could position the unit closer to the drivers line of sight.

I would also question whether mapping updates and software would be as frequent or ecomonical on a built-in.

On the upside, the built-ins had a bigger screen, and don't have to be hidden away when you park.

All things considered, I'd be very unlikely at this point to pick a built-in unit over a remote like a Garmin.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 6:58 am
Original Poster

See, thats what I'm thinking. I can get the Jeep better CD/MP3 6 changer deck also with the connectU system, and just get a Tomtom or garmin in Europe for navigation.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
pioneer

I have been thinking of upgrading to the pioneer AVIC-Z1, I think it is. This is a touchscreen, full screen HD based GPS, with aux in, satellite radio, XM traffic, etc.

they sell at about 1000$.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 11:32 am

I've actually had the reverse experience as far as quality of guidance -- that the portables haven't been as good.

Not to mention they are the most stolen item from cars these days.

At least with the Kenwood built in we are able to add it to the insurance -- and it doesn't seem to be as big a "steal me" thing (because I think kids know that it's not just the 'head' you need but the brains and so forth)

It's just a regular double din setup, so it'll fit right into a Jeep's dash with the exception of the little 'half moons' on either side (which any decent install shop will fit with black covers).

That siad...Uconnect is nice -- I use it daily. But you can also get one of several systems faired into any of the aux ports on any decent GPS/stereo system.

Steve
Old Mar 13, 2007, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Hmm
But I really need the Europe maps, and buying that in the states might prove to be a challange. And I dont want to buy it out here in Poland, as I would want the GPS up and running when I fly out to Germany to pick it up from the port.

So just a good GPS touchscreen with the bluetooth option and Europe maps
Old Mar 13, 2007, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Also im trying to avoid the pop out ones.

Oh and the 07 Jeep compass will it fit a 6.5" or 7" GPS in it?

Last edited by jason8612; Mar 13, 2007 at 12:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.