Wiki Posts
Search

Software for mac - what am I missing?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2007, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Software for mac - what am I missing?

I've been running office for years but just recently started using iWork for all my invoicing and for other stuff as well. I love the templates that come with it. If iWork do come with spreadsheet with the 07 update I could easily be convinced to stop using office.

On the other hand - was told to have a look at neo-office. Just installed it. Opened several different word docs and excels in it and they look exactly as in office. I may very well toss out MS office already now.

Am wondering if i *really* need photoshop cs2 or if I can downgrade to elements. I used to use gimp on linux but never really liked it. May have improved since - what do I know.

I can't live without the macromedia suite.

I prefer Lightrrom to aperture. The way lightroom saves images on the drive is way easier to keep track of than aperture. Which is why I have also abandoned iPhoto. I never use iWeb (why would I? I'm a webdesigner by trade!)

Have all the other usual suspects like firefox etc.

So, what am I missing?

Cheers
/E

ps. have requested a mac subforum to travel technology go here and please voice for or against it.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
I have not used Lightroom or Aperture but just from reading about them, they blow iPhoto out of the water.

Do you have TextMate? AdiumX is a great IM client.

Check out http://www.lifehacker.com and http://www.tuaw.com for great Mac software with reviews.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hartmann
I have not used Lightroom or Aperture but just from reading about them, they blow iPhoto out of the water.

Do you have TextMate? AdiumX is a great IM client.

Check out http://www.lifehacker.com and http://www.tuaw.com for great Mac software with reviews.

Got Adium. Love it. Handles multiple logins to .mac accounts as well as everything else. Also, just installed Gizmo who used to have a plugin for adium. Currently on the backburner but will be interesting to see what it can do when it is relaunched.

Never heard of textmate. Will check it out.

And yes, lightroom and aperture does blow iphoto out of the water. 30 day trial for lightroom 1 (commercial release - not beta anymore) available on adobe.com Waaaaaay better than the beta release.

/E
Old Mar 2, 2007, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA General Member
Photoshop CS3 beta is out for the Mac and is much faster (for me anyway) than CS2. As to whether or not you need it, that all depends on what you're trying to do.

Elements is still not a Universal Binary, IIRC, and will probably run pretty slowly until 5.0 for Mac comes out.

Lightroom is a great program, though IMHO, it is missing a good builtin backup app much like the one in Elements.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 4:36 am

Programs: SK*G & Centurion
Thought I would add some more...

NetNewsWire is by far the best RSS application out there. It even syncs with newsgator.com so you can have several clients (even windows mobile) and they will all sync together, just like an e-mail appliaction.

Then there's Google Sync. My life depends on that little app, enough said (and it works on the Mac ).
Old Mar 4, 2007, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, SPG Plat
I'm a huge fan of a little utility called MenuCalendarClock from Object Park Software. It adds a popup calendar to the menu bar so you don't have to resort to iCal to figure out what day of the month it is. http://www.objectpark.net/
Old Mar 4, 2007, 9:18 pm
B2O

Originally Posted by Robbiedeluxe
Then there's Google Sync. My life depends on that little app, enough said (and it works on the Mac ).
Make that another vote for Google Sync for Firefox!
Old Mar 27, 2007, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

A buddy turned up yesterday and gave me a couple of hints.

virtuedesktops for those of us who can't wait for Leopard.

crossover for those of us who have no desire to install windows via parallels or bootcamp but still want to be able to run windows apps.

I'm in love with virtuedesktops.

/E
Old Mar 27, 2007, 5:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM
I have a few things installed:
Firefox
Delicious Library
Treo Call log
Netflix Freak
Handbreak/MediaFork
Transmit (FTP)
ARD
Parallels
Airfoil (send audio to other APE locations, like in iTunes)
Cocktail
FairGame (rid your DRM Music files)
Flip4Mac (Play AVI and other files in Quicktime)
and other work programs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.