Wiki Posts
Search

Internet over Electric power lines question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2007, 7:20 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member
Original Poster

Internet over Electric power lines question

Would someone please tell me the speed of this stuff?

I found this

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...,57605,00.html

but nowhere do they cite speed and performance.

BTW - The reason I ask is that the TXU deal has part of the ROI tagged as this service.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you see the date of the article?

Power over utility lines was going to be the next big thing, but it never took off, IMHO simply because speed demands have exploded over the past years. People used to get a 512kbit line to the home, nowadays people want 20 or 30 times that speed, and you can only push so much over powerlines.

The last big trial I heard of was with RWE in Germany, and it didn't last all that long. In the end it's probably quicker and cheaper to just dig fiber.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 7:55 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
Did you see the date of the article?
Yep. But I can't find anything really more recent and nothing about speed. If it dose give fiber like speed (30+mbps) I would see why it would take off. But if not why are two really smart companies (KKR and Texas Pacafic Group) banking on that the technology is ready for "Prime Time"?

Makes no sense to me yet. Unless it a smoke screen to where they really think future revenue will come from?
Old Feb 26, 2007, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Power over utility lines was going to be the next big thing, but it never took off,
I kind of thought that power over utility lines took off decades ago. I can't imagine not using it.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
I kind of thought that power over utility lines took off decades ago. I can't imagine not using it.
Its called PLT It works "kinda"

http://www.digg.com/tech_news/Netgea...r_power_lines_
Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by auh2o
If it dose give fiber like speed (30+mbps) I would see why it would take off.
Actually, fibre can carry near 10gbps with no problems at all (yes, that's GBPS).
Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:30 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by sundrop
I think you missed the "Power over utility lines" reference.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:31 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
well 200mbit...

if you just want to use it to built a LAN in your house, its up to 300mbit...

i think thats fast enough.

dp

http://www.testticker.de/ipro/tests/...060313004.aspx
Old Feb 27, 2007, 5:52 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Another problem that stalled acceptance of internet via power lines was "noise" to consumer and commercial communications devices. The unshielded wires that power companies use for distribution caused a lot of problems in tests. Commercial broadcasters, the FAA, and consumer electronics manufacturers all had problems keeping spurious interference out of equipment.

Ultimately this distribution system imploded because the power companies finally recognized the infrastructure costs exceeded expectations, they would eventually have to address the "noise" problem, and that demand for broadband was being met by other utilities (cable, DSL, Starbucks ).
Old Feb 27, 2007, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One other major problem the utilities don't mention is breakage of lines; one ice storm and 1000's of customers are without power AND internet. At least fiber is safe and buried in the ground.

I think some of the european utilities have found that wrapping fiber around their utility lines was a fairly cheap way of pulling lines, but somehow I just don't see it taking off.

Utility towers are vulnerable to the elements, need a lot of maintanence and any kind of work on them requires livewire work or shutting down part of a grid.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 7:43 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
One other major problem the utilities don't mention is breakage of lines; one ice storm and 1000's of customers are without power AND internet. At least fiber is safe and buried in the ground.

I think some of the european utilities have found that wrapping fiber around their utility lines was a fairly cheap way of pulling lines, but somehow I just don't see it taking off.
In my community, the local public power company has run fiber to all the houses and provides Internet and phone, and soon will provide TV service. The fiber is run along the utility poles and is subject to the same issues as the power lines when there are ice storms, high winds, or vehicles that take out poles. I'll still take their service over Charter Cable any day, it's faster, more reliable, and less expensive.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 8:05 am

Programs: UA former 1K MM
I've never seen a FlyerTalk thread with so much misinformation.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redburgundy
I've never seen a FlyerTalk thread with so much misinformation.
Well, be a big boy and provide what you think is the correct information. Just saying something is wrong and posting a won't help anyone.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 8:16 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
The Holiday Inn Colombo had this when I was there last year. I thought the speed was quite good...comparable to a 512K DSL line.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 8:23 am

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
I can only speak to the TXU and Current Communications deal here in Texas. It's not going nearly as fast as they proposed back in Dec/05. They ran into rights-of-way issues with cities. They were sued by AT&T last fall (now settled) for compromising their lines (RF interference) when adding the Current boxes to the power lines running on the same poles.

TXU invested a tidy sum into Current and in return Current gets 10 yrs of biz from TXU. They quickly figured out that the Intenet alone was not going to make them any money anytime soon.

So, they re-grouped in the last year and changed the approach. Current's system will also enable TXU to instantly detect service outages and, eventually, to monitor customers' electricity usage without having to read meters at each customer's home. It can also remotely turn the power off and on to homes or entire neighborhoods. They are installing these meters in central and near-east Dallas homes right now.

The revised pitch is the ability to read meters and monitor usage by the minute. Thus, they free up labor costs because nobody has to read the thing monthly anymore. The Current software will also monitor the Internet connections. Eventually, the money hook is to sell the technology to other electrical utilities and make major bucks from the licensing. And TXU and others could then market peak and non-peak rates tied to specific low/high demand periods of the day. And TXU can do this because electricity is deregulated in Texas, although that may change due to the consumer-rate raping they have been doing for the past 18 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.