Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Mac?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2007, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Also, it seems to me that Macs have a much longer usable life than PC's, due to the "lightness" of the OS.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 2:21 pm

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
Originally Posted by goaliemn

I'm debating between the 2 intel dual core models. Would it be better to go with a slightly slower CPU and get more memory, or the faster proc and not as much memory? I hate the fact you can't get the superdrive with the slower processor That's another big draw for me.

I see mentions of the new OS coming out this spring. If I bought a Mac Mini now, would I have to buy the OS, or does mac usually offer some sort of discount for "recent" purchases?

Thanks
Get more ram...it will make a much bigger difference than the difference in the processors....get as much ram as you can afford.

Apple has in the past offered free upgrades if you are with in a certian period and discounted upgrades after that...then full upgrades for everyone else
Old Feb 22, 2007, 4:07 pm

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
Originally Posted by SpaceBass
I used to agree that they *seemed* more expensive, but I made the argument that if you speced out a similar PC it would be about the same...It had been a while since I'd taken a close look, so I decided to check again.

Here's dell's offering (with Vista):
http://www.archatechs.com/dell.tiff
$1975.00

Here's a black Macbook:
http://www.archatechs.com/apple.tiff
$1,499.00 (before education discount, if one applies for you)

As best as I can tell, the Dell does come with a better video card, so maybe you can justify an additional $100 for the dell...but they only offer G (or A/G) wireless cards where the Mac's come with N chips...
Of course the mac comes with iLife, which I'd personally value at about $100...so maybe its a wash.

Bottom line, it appears that PCs actually cost more!
For a balanced comparison, shouldn't the comparison be between the Dell and a MacBook Pro?
Old Feb 22, 2007, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
Also, it seems to me that Macs have a much longer usable life than PC's, due to the "lightness" of the OS.
Care to be more specific on your definition of a "much longer usable life"?
Old Feb 22, 2007, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Somewhere Over the Atlantic
For a balanced comparison, shouldn't the comparison be between the Dell and a MacBook Pro?
Why? The Macbook seems like a pretty close comparison.
Check the specs in the graphics...

Last edited by SpaceBass; Feb 22, 2007 at 4:47 pm
Old Feb 22, 2007, 5:52 pm

Programs: United MP
The Mac costs a lot more. Yes, the Mac is probably better than the PC, but is it hundreds of dollars better? Only you can decide. For me, it isn't worth the extra money. I have a 5 year old Dell Inspiron, and a 4 year old Sager, still running great with XP. I don't think you need to worry about whether they will last long, they will.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 5:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Now here is a quirk that makes no sense to me.

If I go to the apple.ca site and purchase there with the educational discount section, right up until the final page they don't charge sales tax on the order. A savings of 15% in Ontario.

If I go to the apple.com site and do the same thing, they charge me the CA sales tax, 8.75%.

Did I miss something here?
Old Feb 22, 2007, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by Somewhere Over the Atlantic
Care to be more specific on your definition of a "much longer usable life"?
I just purchased a 7 year old 450 MHz Powermac desktop that is still perfectly usable, with current software.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
The Mac costs a lot more.
Thats just it....I'm not sure they do (at least apples to apples, oranges to oranges...as they say)

http://www.archatechs.com/dell.tiff
http://www.archatechs.com/apple.tiff
Old Feb 22, 2007, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
I just purchased a 7 year old 450 MHz Powermac desktop that is still perfectly usable, with current software.
There are probably 50 million users of Windows 9x who, although not employing XP/Vista or Office 2003, will tell you the same thing, satisfactorily running software that many on this forum would deem antiquated. A computer's usable life isn't exclusively predicated on running the latest software.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by SpaceBass
Why? The Macbook seems like a pretty close comparison.
Check the specs in the graphics...
I did. For the individual differences, there is no comparison--especially for anyone running graphics-intensive apps.

Here are the differences:

*Video subsystem--The Macbook 2.0 uses an integrated graphics chipset (Intel GMA 950 with 64M shared memory), while the Dell and the Macbook Pro use add-on video cards with vastly greatly memory and horsepower. The Dell model uses an NVidia model with 512 M video memory, while the Pro uses a more-modest ATI Radeon with 128 MB. This is more than a $100 difference in price.
*Screen size--The Macbook 2.0 has a 13.3" screen, while the Dell has a higher-resolution 15.4" screen, similar to the Pro's 15.2. The supported native resolution of each translates into a difference of 1280x800 vs. 1440x900.

The component costs for the superior video card and lcd panel easily account for the price difference. When looking at the differences, you also see the hardware similarity between the Dell and the Pro.

Last edited by Somewhere Over the Atlantic; Feb 22, 2007 at 9:12 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 22, 2007, 9:30 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Why Mac?
It's easy to use
Looks good
Never need tech support
No viruses
Mac is beloved by HOM^
Old Feb 22, 2007, 9:53 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf
Now here is a quirk that makes no sense to me.

If I go to the apple.ca site and purchase there with the educational discount section, right up until the final page they don't charge sales tax on the order. A savings of 15% in Ontario.

If I go to the apple.com site and do the same thing, they charge me the CA sales tax, 8.75%.

Did I miss something here?
California doesn't have sales tax exemptions for educational use. Its been 30 years since I lived in Ontario (Univ Waterloo, B.Math '76) but back then at least Ontario (and Revenue Canada) had more enlightened policies toward education w.r.t. taxes.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:03 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
The price issue is more one of choices not of "the Mac costs more". It doesn't cost more if you compare like stuff. If instead you say, well, Apple's low end laptop costs $1100 and I can get a low end Windows laptop for $600, well, that's true. If you stop there, though, you're leaving out the fact that a $500 laptop is somewhat lacking in various areas.

As for the "usable life" remarks, this can vary quite a lot from user to user and what you're trying to do with the machine, but at work we've been able to keep our Macs usefully employed (as everyday office machines) much longer than our Windows boxes.

No CA sales tax if you order from ExperCom. You may not be able to preserve the edu discount, but they should have some other discount available. And maybe saving the sales tax is a bigger savings than the edu discount.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 6:21 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by CrazyOne
The price issue is more one of choices not of "the Mac costs more". It doesn't cost more if you compare like stuff. If instead you say, well, Apple's low end laptop costs $1100 and I can get a low end Windows laptop for $600, well, that's true. If you stop there, though, you're leaving out the fact that a $500 laptop is somewhat lacking in various areas.
They keep saying that, but it never works out that way in real life. That also doesn't include the cost of software that Windows users already use and the need to buy it again for the Mac. That cost is way too high for me, and is probably the real reason I haven't switched to a Mac.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.