Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

1 item carry on restriction - how to fit all this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2007, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.

15.4" laptop
1 DSLR body
1 DSLR 18-55 lens
1 DLSR 50-200 lens
1 Digital camcorder

And all the other bits and pieces like iPod, travel dcuments, ziploc bag (Which reminds me. Got to go get that.), reading material and so on.

Now, how do I get all of that in a carry on within size restrictions?

Also, how do I get it on a small plane that may require a gate check!

No problem keeping laptop in it's own sleeve so that can easily be taken out. But what about the camera equipment!?

ARGH!

/E
Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:03 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Emma65
15.4" laptop

No problem keeping laptop in it's own sleeve so that can easily be taken out. But what about the camera equipment!?

ARGH!

/E
Do you have a macbook pro (15.4")? This wont answer your question but can I recommend a product called speck clear plastic case I dont work for the company or anything but it is best thing on earth. I hated that they made me take my notebook out of the case and then put it through on the plastic containers and get all scratched.

If you are professional photographer I would suggest fedex and insurance. I had to take a projector with me and I looked at the pros and cons and just decided to mail it. The other suggestion would be to buy a hard case with foam inside and gate check if it is an RJ . No way around it.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Buy a max size roll-aboard, and a slim laptop case. Everything should easily fit in the roll-aboard (with room for good padding/protection). Put the laptop case inside the roll-aboard to go through security, and take it out as soon as you are through.

Book, iPod, etc should fit in the laptop case, so no problem if you have to gate check the roll-aboard (so long as you packed the camera stuff properly).
Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:14 am
cpx

Programs: Many
But what about the camera equipment!?

ARGH!

/E
i generally put all of em in soft padded pouch and dump them in my backpack.

i also have a camera backpack that can carry 2-3 cameras and 3-4 lens,
but not very convenient if you have carry on limits. so i use a regular backpack.

or carry a soft duffle.. you won;t have to gate check it.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dgwright99
Buy a max size roll-aboard, and a slim laptop case. Everything should easily fit in the roll-aboard (with room for good padding/protection).
Got both and that is what I am thinking of doing.

I am thinking of getting a Crumpler Daily for lugging around in town.

/E
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

15.4" laptop
1 DSLR body
1 DSLR 18-55 lens
1 DLSR 50-200 lens
1 Digital camcorder
I use a LowePro MiniTrekker camera back pack, which is relatively small -- well under the max carry-on size for international travel.

It holds:

VX2000 camcorder w/ lens shade (much larger than a consumer camcorder)
Canon 10D digital still camera (somewhat larger than typical consumer SLR)
Vaio laptop
3 lenses for the 10D (wide angle, normal and tele)
1 lens for the VX2000 (wide angle -- quite large)
4 batteries for the VX2000
2 batteries for the 10D
8 miniDV tapes
Panasonic MD audio recorder
Charger for the VX2000 batteries
Charger for the 10D batteries
Raincape for the VX2000
Lapel mike for the Panasonic MD recorder
Various filters for both cameras

And, when forced to because of carry-on limits:

My various prescription meds.
Two mini-bottles of vodka
My and my wife's passport
A magazine or book
Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PTravel
I use a LowePro MiniTrekker camera back pack, which is relatively small -- well under the max carry-on size for international travel.

It holds:

// snipped long list //

Wow!!!!!

I really don't like backpacks but ... wow!

/E
Old Feb 10, 2007, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow!!!!!

I really don't like backpacks but ... wow!

/E
I've carried this backpack on board on non-US international and domestic carriers in Asia, Europe and South America. It's usually way over on weight, but I've never had it weighed -- it looks to small and, in the US, counts as a "camera bag," i.e. my "personal item." It requires very careful packing to get this much in it, but I do it all the time and have never had any damage to the gear. I should add that it also has a pocket and hold-ons for carrying a full-size tripod on the outside. I haven't tried that on an airline because I'm not sure whether security would allow it (my tripod is a $600 carbon-fiber job with a $150 video head, so I'm not about to abandon it if security squawks).

I'd add that I'm not real fond of backpacks, either, but I find it useful -- when we go out for the day, I'll empty and just put the gear that I'll need, plus sweaters, hats, sunscreen, etc. It's light, and if it starts to rain, we just dump the camera gear into it as its also rain-proof.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
My Antler laptop brief currently carries:

1. HP nc6000 laptop + power supply.
2. Portable hard disk.
3. HP iPAQ hx4700.
4. Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 in small camera case.
5. Nikon D40 body (currently poorly - sob).
6. 88-55mm lens.
7. 55-200mm lens.
8. Blackberry.
9. Assorted cables.

I don't like the fact that current restrictions force me to carry the D40 body sans lens as this just increases the risk of dust on the sensor (and a combination of sensor nasties stuck on sensor by humid conditions means that my D40 needs a service - a good reason to be crying into my beer ).

Regards
I
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:36 pm
cpx

It requires very careful packing to get this much in it, but I do it all the time and have never had any damage to the gear.
Just curious how you manage to pack a Vaio in there? Don't see any compartment for a computer in there.

But in general I love LowePro I have a couple of small bags that I lug around once in a while.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:20 am

Programs: UA G-1MM/*G, B6 Mosaicm, DL G, HH S, Bonvoy(...?) Plat, Avis PS, Hertz 5*, Nat ExVIP
Thumbs up Quantaray Urban Gear U100 Pro Backpack

I had the same issue a few months ago on a trip to New Zealand, so I bought a Quantaray Urban Gear u100 Pro Backpack for my Nikon D70, four lenses, recharging pack, filters, etc., etc. I could have easily put a camcorder in there, as well. I carry a MacBook Pro 15" widescreen and it fits neatly in the dedicated pouch in the back. $79.99 at Ritz Camera.

I like the bag a lot... I stayed in a rather seedy Comfort Inn in the Wellington Castro District and decided it best to carry the bag around, fully loaded, for the day. My back felt fine, even with all the hiking.

Timothy
Old Feb 13, 2007, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cpx
Just curious how you manage to pack a Vaio in there? Don't see any compartment for a computer in there.
There isn't. I put in the zippered pouch on the back of the backpack. My current Vaio is a V505-AX, and fits just fine. I just ordered an SZ-series Vaio, which is the same width but longer because it has a wide screen. I expect that it will fit as well.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 5:02 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I got basically all of that and also
Tripod
Chargers
Portable Hard Drives
sunglasses
PSP
and a bunch of electronics.
Also my freedom baggie, baggie of emergency meds

I got a laptop/small rollerboard bag from Marshalls that fits basically everything. its a Kenith Cole bag. think it was like $100. It has "2" bags, a laptop bag that fits into the roller bag.

Actually this bag if you take out the laptop bag from it is small enough to fit in the overhead on the CRJ UX flights.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 6:09 pm
cpx

There isn't. I put in the zippered pouch on the back of the backpack. My current Vaio is a V505-AX, and fits just fine. I just ordered an SZ-series Vaio, which is the same width but longer because it has a wide screen. I expect that it will fit as well.
I see they have a similar backpack with a pocket for a laptop... Looks interesting.. but I like your idea ^ thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2007, 6:18 am

Any standard bag can take most of the stuff you have, then just stick the SLR in one of these light neoprene sleeves and sling around your neck/shoulder.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...x=7&Submit.y=5

Last edited by osamede; Feb 15, 2007 at 6:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.