Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simple USB 2.0 Switch?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2007, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Simple USB 2.0 Switch?

A while back I posted about my search for an +19" LCD panel with a switching USB 2.0 hub that's ganged with the input selector button; this would be a replacement for my antique Mitsubishi 900u 19" CRT.

To refresh your memories, I'm still using the 900u because it's got this one terrific feature (besides being a petty good, albeit humongous display): It has a built-in USB hub with 2 upstream and 4 downstream ports. Switching the display between the DB15 and BNC video inputs via the front-panel BNC/D-SUB button also switches between the upstream USB inputs, and allows me to toggle both my display and my keyboard/mouse between my laptop and desktop with a button press.

I've pretty much given up on that search. The only LCD display I found with a similar capability was an overpriced Sony model that's carried by very few retailers.

So, to make a long (and redundant) story short, I'm looking for a decent and inexpensive USB 2.0 switch, to be used with an as-yet-to-be-determined LCD display. I'm not looking for a KVM switch, as I'd prefer to be directly connected to the display from both my desktop and laptop, and not be limited by what the KVM switch can pass to it.

Any suggestions on the switch?
Old Feb 2, 2007, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I think I understand what you need, then it may be here:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...switch&x=0&y=0
Old Feb 2, 2007, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
If I think I understand what you need, then it may be here:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...switch&x=0&y=0
Huh. I didn't think to check Monoprice, and I just bought a DVI-D cable from them for my TV . . .

Unfortunately, they don't have exactly what I was looking for; I'd need to combine one of their switches with a couple of hubs to get the same functionality I have built into the Mitsubishi monitor. Could be quite the cable mess.

I've searched a number of other on-line retailers, but nothing quite seems to do what I want . . . 2 upstream ports, and 2-4 downstream ports. Push the button, and the downstreams get connected to the alternate upstream.

Thanks for the link, Scott!
Old Feb 2, 2007, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PorkRind
Huh. I didn't think to check Monoprice, and I just bought a DVI-D cable from them for my TV . . .

Unfortunately, they don't have exactly what I was looking for; I'd need to combine one of their switches with a couple of hubs to get the same functionality I have built into the Mitsubishi monitor. Could be quite the cable mess.

I've searched a number of other on-line retailers, but nothing quite seems to do what I want . . . 2 upstream ports, and 2-4 downstream ports. Push the button, and the downstreams get connected to the alternate upstream.

Thanks for the link, Scott!
Hmmm... It may not be exactly what you are looking for, but I use a Silex USB switch that converts the USB to ethernet and each machine on the lan can use any of the device hooked up to it.

Here is another, but it too will need a usb hub to work with more devices:

http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=p...aring%20Switch
Old Feb 2, 2007, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
Hmmm... It may not be exactly what you are looking for, but I use a Silex USB switch that converts the USB to ethernet and each machine on the lan can use any of the device hooked up to it.

Here is another, but it too will need a usb hub to work with more devices:

http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=p...aring%20Switch
Thanks, the IOGear doohickey is essentially the same as one of the Monoprice USB switches, at a 100% premium

I'm still amazed that no one builds a reasonably priced LCD panel that includes a USB switch. I mean, seriously, if they're going to give you two video inputs to switch between, it just seems a foregone conclusion that you're going to want to switch some peripherals too . . . like the freakin' keyboard and mouse?

Again, thanks for the help
Old Feb 3, 2007, 8:21 am

Programs: Northwest Platinum
Thanks, the IOGear doohickey is essentially the same as one of the Monoprice USB switches, at a 100% premium

I'm still amazed that no one builds a reasonably priced LCD panel that includes a USB switch. I mean, seriously, if they're going to give you two video inputs to switch between, it just seems a foregone conclusion that you're going to want to switch some peripherals too . . . like the freakin' keyboard and mouse?

I have some setups where there are two computers going to one monitor- is this what you are refering to? If so, what I have is a system where you push the button and it swithces the video input and swithces the periphrial output (the keyboard and mouse and monitor now work on the second computer... push the button and they are all connected to the first computer). Not sure if this is what you are looking for?
Old Feb 3, 2007, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sure that 99% of people only have one PC hooked up to their monitor, so the market for this is probably too small (I'd love it too). The monitor switching and inputs are probably just so you can select one input and leave it there, like most people will do. My Dell has 5 different inputs, and I still can't use software to switch them
Old Feb 3, 2007, 9:49 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
So what's the aversion to KVM? Signal degradation? Loss of sync options? Would those really be a problem? Not really sure. I did find at least one example of a KVM switch that has an additional USB hub in it: http://www.connectgear.com/KVMs/UG102.htm

Now that gadget has PS/2 ports on the front for keyboard/mouse input, which probably isn't exactly what you're looking for. But I think there is some hope in this arena. Overkill if you're not going to use the video portion of it, as this box costs, well, $70 here for example http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/s..._img&pi=Y&st=5

I'm only assuming you're looking to switch some additional items other than the keyboard/mouse, as you have mentioned the 4-port hub feature of the monitor you have, although you haven't mentioned what else you are looking to switch.

I bought a mini KVM switch recently (Belkin Flip, it was in stock at Best Buy and I needed it that weekend) that works well for switching those items, but it's not a screen I stare at much. We have two Mac minis acting as servers, and it switches the KVM for those. The best feature of it is the "remote" button, not wireless but it means you can have the cabling out of the way and a single button in the front to switch. Yes, you can do software hotkey switching (even on that gadget, even with Macs apparently), but I like the simplicity of the hardware option.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You could always do what I did, go with a software km switch. I use Multiplicity but I've also heard good things about Synergy.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 11:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Not sure why you say you don't want a KVM - I suspect that you may have been put off by the kind of thing Belkin, IOGear, etc make. A good one will do what you want with not problems, but will cost you a fair bit of meney - here's why:

Switching USB2.0 with a mechanical switch is a no-no. You can just about do it and make spec using very high quality analog multiplexors if the switch is very close to either the upstream or downstream ports with carefully matched signal traces to the upstream or downstream chip. Some blade server backplanes do this. The only right way to do this if you want to plug in cables both upstream and downstream is to build a hub with 2 upstream ports - which would require the use of an FPGA with external USB transceivers, as there is no "standard silicon" with this feature, and technically, such a product is not compliant with the USB spec (which is silly, but that's the way it is).

A similar problem applies to the video - for a quality signal you are going to need a video buffer/switch chip inside the KVM box - and if they have engineered it right you won't be able to tell the difference between the KVM and what you have now. The higher quality KVM boxes have this, the cheap ones don't. Better still would be a DVI switch, but I haven't seen a KVM with DVI switching capability.

You probably won't want to spring for the kind of prof. quality KVM that Avocent make at "new" price, but you may be able to find one on ebay at an attractive enough price to make it worthwhile.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 3:17 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, Hertz #1 5*, CO, AA
I got myself a linksys KVM switch, works great! Also got myself a linksys usb hub which is great. The only downfall to each is that they need to be plugged in, but oh well lol. THe linksys kvm is not usb, but i just use a ps/2 to usb converter and it does the job. I personally dont see any drawbacks to this switch...got it off amazon for a great price (I wanna say $20?)
Old Feb 4, 2007, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dgwright99
Not sure why you say you don't want a KVM - I suspect that you may have been put off by the kind of thing Belkin, IOGear, etc make. A good one will do what you want with not problems, but will cost you a fair bit of meney - here's why:

Switching USB2.0 with a mechanical switch is a no-no. You can just about do it and make spec using very high quality analog multiplexors if the switch is very close to either the upstream or downstream ports with carefully matched signal traces to the upstream or downstream chip. Some blade server backplanes do this. The only right way to do this if you want to plug in cables both upstream and downstream is to build a hub with 2 upstream ports - which would require the use of an FPGA with external USB transceivers, as there is no "standard silicon" with this feature, and technically, such a product is not compliant with the USB spec (which is silly, but that's the way it is).
This really doesn't make sense to me. The connectors on USB cables are pretty crude, electrically speaking, and they're designed to be "plug 'n' play." You can disconnect and reconnect at will. Since switching them is effectively unplugging them from one host and plugging them into another, what's with all of the fine tolerances and high-quality multiplexors?

A similar problem applies to the video - for a quality signal you are going to need a video buffer/switch chip inside the KVM box - and if they have engineered it right you won't be able to tell the difference between the KVM and what you have now. The higher quality KVM boxes have this, the cheap ones don't. Better still would be a DVI switch, but I haven't seen a KVM with DVI switching capability.

You probably won't want to spring for the kind of prof. quality KVM that Avocent make at "new" price, but you may be able to find one on ebay at an attractive enough price to make it worthwhile.
Many of the dual-input LCD displays offer VGA as one input port, and DVI as the other. I am replacing the video card in my desktop with a more modern nVidia adapter with DVI, and will be using my laptop on the VGA input.

Hmm. I just realized there's more than one way to skin a cat . . . if I get a USB2 switch with 2 upstreams and 1 downstream, all I need is an LCD panel with switchable DB15/DVI that has a conventional USB2.0 hub built into it. Hook laptop and desktop up to ports A and B on the upstream side of the switch and the downstream port to the hub in the monitor, mouse and keyboard conect to the monitor's hub . . . duh. Still a bit more of a cable mess, but better than a keyboard/mouse mess

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.