High CPU Utilization by Firefox 2.*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High CPU Utilization by Firefox 2.*

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2007, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K (3.52MM BIS miles) AA EXP (3.64MM)
I think I may have found the problem and it's not (at least at this point) Forecastfox...
Typically I'll have 2-3 separate instances of F/F running each with multiple tabs.
This last week I've limited myself to one instance with more tabs...CPU has remained 'calm' so far...haven't watched memory as I have 2gb and was never close to running out.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 9:09 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
This thread was timely as I had noticed that FF was using up usually 120mb and up to 160mb of memory (no CPU issues for me). Now I understand when I open many tabs, but when I close them the memory usage doesn't drop.

So I uninstalled unused extensions and disabled ForecasFox but this didn't seem to help.

Then I found this which did the trick - http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-.../1327586/posts
Old Feb 9, 2007, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by alect
Then I found this which did the trick - http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-.../1327586/posts
Why 16384 instead of 16000? Because computers use base-12 counting. Thus 16 megabytes = 16384 bytes. Likewise, if you want to double that and allocate 32MB, you'd enter 32768.)
I don't believe anything he said after reading that.

BTW, I'm not having any cpu utilization problems with FF2.x. But I don't run things like forecastfox or anything else that does anything in the background that could increase cpu utilitzation when I don't need it. I have Fasterfox, fireftp, flashblock, flashgot and linkification installed. (in addition to talkbalk and Dom Inspector.) I don't enable the cache-ahead features in fasterfox.

There's probably a memory leak in 2.x. I'm sure it will be plugged eventually. If you want to reclaim the leaked memory, you have to completely restart ff. If you have enough memory in your system, it probably doesn't matter. If you run taskmgr and look at the performance pane, if your peak commit charge is greater than the amount of physical memory you have installed, then you could benefit from more memory, or perhaps by restarting ff.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Feb 9, 2007 at 10:37 pm
Old Feb 9, 2007, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by osamede
I have had this 100% CPU problem on not only FireFox 2.x but alos the final two versions of Furefix 1.xx.
I have the same problem with Netscape 8.1.2, and it apparently runs a program called "updatelists.exe", which also comes online and takes up almost 100% CPU time - anyone can confirm this?
Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:51 am

Programs: AS, DL
Well, after watching things for a few more days I am finding that the memory usage still creeps up like everyone else has reported, but the CPU usage is still behaving itself without the forecast fox. I haven't really had any time to do much more since I posted. I can live with fairly high memory usage until I can take the time to tweak much easier than I can live with high CPU utilization. Gotta admit, somehow this whole experience leaves me just a little bit disappointed with Firefox. Guess I'll just have to try to be patient and wait for an incremental fix to the slow memory leak....I'm not going back to IE!!!
Old Feb 10, 2007, 8:47 am

If you really want to, you could find the bug in bugzilla and add yourself to the cc-list. I'm sure they will plug some of the memory leaks eventually.

-David
Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL DM
Google Toolbar??

Just after reading this, a friend asked me to look at some funny behavior on his machine (Thinkpad T-series, I beleive)

I don't think it was related to the actual problem, but I also noticed that his CPU usage was unusually high. Checked and it was only when FF was running, but he wasn't running nay of the suspected add-ons.

The only thing there was google toolbar. I removed it and the CPU usage was down. Downloaded it again from google and reinstalled and no bump in usage.

It may have been because I chose not to enable page ranking and I have no idea if he had it enabled before, or it may have been a new revision of the toolbar software, but maybe that'll be a clue for someone else.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 7:49 pm

Didn't the google toolbar have a folding@home option at one time? I seem to recall that it did, but I don't know if you had to download a special version to get the f@h stuff included or not, and I'm not sure if it still exists or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Toolbar

According to the wikipedia article, Google Compute (the f@h tie-in) ended in 2005.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Feb 10, 2007 at 7:56 pm
Old Feb 10, 2007, 8:33 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Another interesting read:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Memory_Leak
Old Mar 1, 2007, 5:30 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
It seems the problem of memory usage and CPU usage is at least partially caused by ForecastFox. Of course, Firefox and ForecastFox are blaming each other for the problem.

Now, with the release of 2.0.0.2 of Firefox and 0.9.5.2 of ForecastFox, the CPU problem seems to be gone. It may take a few days of usage before I notice any different regarding the memory issue, but now, my Firefox hardly registers in CPU utilisation...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.