Wiki Posts
Search

One PCMCIA slot to two PCMCIA cards?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2007, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

One PCMCIA slot to two PCMCIA cards?

Is there such a thing as an extender or adapter that will let me use two pcmcia/cardbus cards with a laptop that has only a single pcmcia/cardbus slot? I've googled for an hour and can't seem to turn up anything.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What kind of cards?

Sadly it isn't as easy as just splitting them, as each card is independently addressed.

There are some external (USB) PCCard readers, that may help solve your problem.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

One is a gigabit NIC, the other is a USB 2.0 card.

I've got an older Vaio laptop with a single slot that only has USB 1.0. I need to find a way to get it on my network at gigabit speeds and still add a USB 2.0 slot.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel
One is a gigabit NIC, the other is a USB 2.0 card.

I've got an older Vaio laptop with a single slot that only has USB 1.0. I need to find a way to get it on my network at gigabit speeds and still add a USB 2.0 slot.
You could consider a USB 2.0 card and adding a USB2.0 Gigabit adapter. Granted, you won't get the full gigabit, but at 480mbit it'll be faster than 100mbit.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
You could consider a USB 2.0 card and adding a USB2.0 Gigabit adapter. Granted, you won't get the full gigabit, but at 480mbit it'll be faster than 100mbit.
Said in my best Homer Simpson voice: D'oh!

Of course, I should have thought of that. That's the perfect solution, thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Keep in mind that a 32-bit cardbus card operating at the absolute optimal configuration of 33mhz data rate in double word mode yields a theoretical maximum 132mb/s. It is unlikely you will see much greater throughput than a 100mbps card, and I would suspect that if you have a 10/100 card built into your computer it will run faster than a 10/100/1000 card plugged into a usb port plugged into a PCMCIA cardbus slot. YMMV!
Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
Keep in mind that a 32-bit cardbus card operating at the absolute optimal configuration of 33mhz data rate in double word mode yields a theoretical maximum 132mb/s. It is unlikely you will see much greater throughput than a 100mbps card, and I would suspect that if you have a 10/100 card built into your computer it will run faster than a 10/100/1000 card plugged into a usb port plugged into a PCMCIA cardbus slot. YMMV!
Right now, I'm running another laptop (a cheapie Toshiba) with a gigabit PCMCIA card. I'm definitely getting dramatically faster throughput than with the laptop's built-in 100 megabit NIC.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
That certainly could be. I've seen a great variance in how fast those internal adapters work, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.