Wiki Posts
Search

Software Nostalgia....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2007, 9:32 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by cblaisd
As I wish I had my old Commodore64. I've played with some of the C64 emulators and they are spookily accurate.

I used my old TRS Model 100 laptop well into the '90s for quick and dirty text stuff. (not that kind of dirty )
I also should have kept my trusty Compaq Portable w/ 300 baud and the Hayes Smart Modem 1200B inboard upgrade. Compuserve and GE Genie was all I used 20 years ago.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 1kBill
IIRC, WordPro got its start as a program called AmiPro, which I think was the first (Windows) WYSIWYG word processor. Lotus bought it as the word processor for their Smartsuite product.
Yup, it was AmiPro first. But before then, it was a DOS program called Samna Word. Writer's Digest magazine rated it #1 for writers (could even do 2 windows at once back then) with the caveat that it was too pricey for hobby writers. I think I bought a copy on sale for $300 way back in the mid-80s when I bought my first computer (double floppy, no hard drive).
Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Originally Posted by linsj
Yup, it was AmiPro first. But before then, it was a DOS program called Samna Word. Writer's Digest magazine rated it #1 for writers (could even do 2 windows at once back then) with the caveat that it was too pricey for hobby writers. I think I bought a copy on sale for $300 way back in the mid-80s when I bought my first computer (double floppy, no hard drive).
Ami Pro! That's the name I was trying to remember! It was a sweet word processor. Only reason I gave it up was because I couldn't send attachments to anyone else I knew.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 10:44 am

ahhh, those were the days...

I loved my Apple ][+ computer. That is NOT a Macintosh. (any time I ever mention it, people always say, "Oh yeah I had a Mac II also!" and I need to explain to them that Apple had another line of computers before the Mac).

I remember all the great software, especially the games... Choplifter, Rescue Raiders, Ultima, Castle Wolfenstein, etc...

Here is a site I just found with loads of Apple II links: http://home.swbell.net/rubywand/A2FAQs4MAJORSITES.html
And a place where you can play old Apple II games in your browser: http://www.virtualapple.org/.

Haha, just spent half an hour playing choplifter again... http://www.virtualapple.org/choplifterdisk.html

Oh yeah, and then there's all the boring software like Visicalc, Bankstreetwriter, etc...
Old Jan 27, 2007, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by redbeard911
Correct. Prior to Ami Pro, I used Lotus Symphony which combined a word processor and spreadsheet. You could toggle back and forth. I had to buy an aftermarket product to get WYSIWYG.
I used Ami Pro too. And what was the name of their spreadsheet?
Rita

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.