Wiki Posts
Search

External CD/DVD problems

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2007, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
External CD/DVD problems

I have a Toshiba Satellite A35 that I use as my traveling laptop. I've been backing up my data files to an external DVD burner (HP DVD 740), and also have an external CD burner (ATAPI CD-RW) attached through a D-Link USB hub. A couple of weeks ago the write functions on both the external DVD and CD stopped working. I can still read from discs, but not write. I hooked up an older TDK DVD burner and have the same problem, it reads but won't write. Given that all 3 used to work and I haven't made any changes (other than updateing virus signatures), what might cause them to stop writing, and what can I do about it other than buying a new laptop?
Old Jan 22, 2007, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Nobody has any suggestions?
Old Jan 22, 2007, 5:58 pm

What software do you use to write to the CD/DVD media?

Do you have any software which emulates a CD/DVD drive (e.g. for mounting ISOs)?
Old Jan 23, 2007, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phlflyer927
What software do you use to write to the CD/DVD media?

Do you have any software which emulates a CD/DVD drive (e.g. for mounting ISOs)?
1. I've successfully used both NTI CD & DVD maker and Nero. I've also just dragged and dropped files to the CD burner using Windows Explorer. None of them work any more, they give me a message that says "No supported drive detected" or something like that. (I'm traveling right now, the drives are at home.)

2. No, I don't have CD/DVD drive emulation software
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1P, HH Gold, SPG Gold
what kind of device does device manager and nero show it as? About the time it stopped working, did you do anything to your pc and/or network.

Try plugging in an external dvd drive directly without the dlink and see if that works (to take the hub out of the equation).
Old Jan 23, 2007, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bobes
what kind of device does device manager and nero show it as? About the time it stopped working, did you do anything to your pc and/or network.

Try plugging in an external dvd drive directly without the dlink and see if that works (to take the hub out of the equation).
I'll check the device manager when I get home Saturday. Nero and NTI CD&DVD Maker both show "No Supported Drive detected." I didn't do anything with the pc and/or network other than my usual update of virus signatures.

I have tried a direct link without the USB hub and get the same problem.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 7:46 am

Programs: UA former 1K MM
Do they work OK when connected to a different computer?
Do you have the latest drivers from the manufacturer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.