Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Reactivation Issue: Microsoft Must Burn in Hell!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2007, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

/RANT on

I'm writing this after spending 1 hour and 40 minutes on the phone with Microsoft's various Indian telephone support people.

Last night I installed a gigabit NIC (network interface card) on my desktop computer which is running a fully legal bought-at-Best-Buy-in-the-box genuine copy of XP Pro. When I tried to boot the machine tonight, before logon I got a window that said that my computer configuration changed and I had to reactivate Windows. It also said that, if I didn't, Windows would stop working in 3 days. It then opened an activation window, I clicked on "Activate over Internet," it churned away and, after a minute or two, said, "Cannot connect. Try again later."

It then continued to boot into Windows and a little icon blinked on the System Tray indicating, "Activate Windows." When I clicked on it, it opened an Explorer window to a webpage that lectured me on the evils of counterfeit software and offered me the opportunity to "make my copy of Windows legitimate" for $149.

"...?," I thought.

Careful examination of the insulting and extortionate webpage revealed a link to "Activation information." This took me to another page instructing me to running the "Activate Windows" wizard under System Tools in the Accessories folder.

"Fine," I thought.

I opened Programs, Accessories, System Tools and discovered . . . THERE WAS NO "ACTIVATE WINDOWS" WIZARD.

After some more clicking around, I found a phone number for Windows Technical Support. This is where the real fun began.

First rep: "Thank you for calling Microsoft. My name is #$%^&. May I have your name please?"
Me: "No, you may not. My legal copy of Windows, which has run fine for 4 years, now tells me it must re-activate and the provided procedure doesn't work."
First rep: "No problem. I'll transfer you to Activation. Thank you for calling Microsoft"

After a few minutes, I get connected to a robot (a real one, not flesh and blood like the later robots I spoke with) that tells me . . . run the "Activate Windows" wizard under System Tools in the Accessories folder.

I hang up and call back.

Second rep: "Thank you for calling Microsoft. My name is #$%^&. May I have your name please?"
Me: "No, you may not. My legal copy of Windows, which has run fine for 4 years, now tells me it must re-activate and the provided procedure doesn't work. I want to speak to a supervisor, a real human being, and not be connected to another robot."
Second rep: "No problem. I'll connect you. Thank you for calling Microsoft."

After a few seconds, a supervisor comes on and I explain the situation. Again. The supervisor said, "No problem. I'll transfer you to activation. Thank you for calling Microsoft."

After a few minutes, I'm transferred to a poor connection answered by a man with a strong Indian accent.

"Oh boy," I think. "The Indian Help Desk."

Help Desk person: "May I have your case number?"
Me: "I don't have a case number. My legal copy of Windows, which has run fine for 4 years, now tells me it must re-activate and the provided procedure doesn't work."
Help Desk person: "You must have a case number. I'll transfer you to customer service."
Me: "Customer service just transferred me to you."
Help Desk person: "No problem. I'll open a case for you. May I have your first, middle and last name?
Me: "No, you may not."
Help Desk person: "But I can't open a case without your full name."
Me: "Okay, listen carefully. I own a legal, genuine copy of Microsoft Windows. It stopped working because of something that Microsoft put in the software. I'm calling from California, where I'm a lawyer. California has an implied warranty of merchantability and an implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose. Microsoft is in breach of these warranties, as well as the express warranty for the software that it sold me. Microsoft's obligations under the various warranties are not conditioned on my providing any personal information, nor do I intend to do so. Is that understood?"
Help Desk person: "Yes, sir. I understand. May I have your phone number?"
Me: "I just told you. I'm not giving you any personal information."
Help Desk person: "You will not be giving me your phone number?"
Me: "No."
Help Desk person: "In that case, may I have your first, middle and last name."
Me: "Get me a supervisor."
Help Desk person: "But sir, I cannot open a case number without your full name."
Me: "Okay. Either get me a supervisor or, Monday morning, I'm going to sue Microsoft in small claims court. Your choice."
Help Desk person: "Please hold sir, and I will get you a supervisor."

For the next hour or so, I was transferred from person to person, going through essentially the same routine until, finally, I was transferred to someone at "Product Activation" (also an Indian support office, but a very helpful person who didn't read from a script, actually new what he was talking about, and was sympathetic to the runaround I had been given) who gave me the secret code to run the Activation Wizard, at which point he was able to do a telephone re-activation and get my copy of Windows working again. While we were waiting for my computer to re-boot, I asked him why, after four years, Windows decided it needed to reactivate. He told me that a "signficant hardware change" could trigger it. I asked him whether installing a new NIC was considered a "significant hardware change." He told me that it was! I thanked him, hung up, logged onto FT and wrote this post so that I could ask this question:

Why shouldn't I file a class action suit against Microsoft for fraud, breach of warranty and breach of license?

I am beyond furious that (1) it took me more than an hour and a half to re-activate software that I am legally licensed to have and use, and (2) Microsoft demands personal information to which it has absolutely no legal entitlement before it will remove the virus (which is how I characterize this "feature") that interferes with my legal use of the product under the license.

/RANT off

How many of you have gone through this idiocy?
Old Jan 19, 2007, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by PTravel
/RANT on

I'm writing this after spending 1 hour and 40 minutes on the phone with Microsoft's various Indian telephone support people.

Last night I installed a gigabit NIC (network interface card) on my desktop computer which is running a fully legal bought-at-Best-Buy-in-the-box genuine copy of XP Pro. When I tried to boot the machine tonight, before logon I got a window that said that my computer configuration changed and I had to reactivate Windows. It also said that, if I didn't, Windows would stop working in 3 days. It then opened an activation window, I clicked on "Activate over Internet," it churned away and, after a minute or two, said, "Cannot connect. Try again later."

It then continued to boot into Windows and a little icon blinked on the System Tray indicating, "Activate Windows." When I clicked on it, it opened an Explorer window to a webpage that lectured me on the evils of counterfeit software and offered me the opportunity to "make my copy of Windows legitimate" for $149.

"...?," I thought.

Careful examination of the insulting and extortionate webpage revealed a link to "Activation information." This took me to another page instructing me to running the "Activate Windows" wizard under System Tools in the Accessories folder.

"Fine," I thought.

I opened Programs, Accessories, System Tools and discovered . . . THERE WAS NO "ACTIVATE WINDOWS" WIZARD.

After some more clicking around, I found a phone number for Windows Technical Support. This is where the real fun began.

First rep: "Thank you for calling Microsoft. My name is #$%^&. May I have your name please?"
Me: "No, you may not. My legal copy of Windows, which has run fine for 4 years, now tells me it must re-activate and the provided procedure doesn't work."
First rep: "No problem. I'll transfer you to Activation. Thank you for calling Microsoft"

After a few minutes, I get connected to a robot (a real one, not flesh and blood like the later robots I spoke with) that tells me . . . run the "Activate Windows" wizard under System Tools in the Accessories folder.

I hang up and call back.

Second rep: "Thank you for calling Microsoft. My name is #$%^&. May I have your name please?"
Me: "No, you may not. My legal copy of Windows, which has run fine for 4 years, now tells me it must re-activate and the provided procedure doesn't work. I want to speak to a supervisor, a real human being, and not be connected to another robot."
Second rep: "No problem. I'll connect you. Thank you for calling Microsoft."

After a few seconds, a supervisor comes on and I explain the situation. Again. The supervisor said, "No problem. I'll transfer you to activation. Thank you for calling Microsoft."

After a few minutes, I'm transferred to a poor connection answered by a man with a strong Indian accent.

"Oh boy," I think. "The Indian Help Desk."

Help Desk person: "May I have your case number?"
Me: "I don't have a case number. My legal copy of Windows, which has run fine for 4 years, now tells me it must re-activate and the provided procedure doesn't work."
Help Desk person: "You must have a case number. I'll transfer you to customer service."
Me: "Customer service just transferred me to you."
Help Desk person: "No problem. I'll open a case for you. May I have your first, middle and last name?
Me: "No, you may not."
Help Desk person: "But I can't open a case without your full name."
Me: "Okay, listen carefully. I own a legal, genuine copy of Microsoft Windows. It stopped working because of something that Microsoft put in the software. I'm calling from California, where I'm a lawyer. California has an implied warranty of merchantability and an implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose. Microsoft is in breach of these warranties, as well as the express warranty for the software that it sold me. Microsoft's obligations under the various warranties are not conditioned on my providing any personal information, nor do I intend to do so. Is that understood?"
Help Desk person: "Yes, sir. I understand. May I have your phone number?"
Me: "I just told you. I'm not giving you any personal information."
Help Desk person: "You will not be giving me your phone number?"
Me: "No."
Help Desk person: "In that case, may I have your first, middle and last name."
Me: "Get me a supervisor."
Help Desk person: "But sir, I cannot open a case number without your full name."
Me: "Okay. Either get me a supervisor or, Monday morning, I'm going to sue Microsoft in small claims court. Your choice."
Help Desk person: "Please hold sir, and I will get you a supervisor."

For the next hour or so, I was transferred from person to person, going through essentially the same routine until, finally, I was transferred to someone at "Product Activation" (also an Indian support office, but a very helpful person who didn't read from a script, actually new what he was talking about, and was sympathetic to the runaround I had been given) who gave me the secret code to run the Activation Wizard, at which point he was able to do a telephone re-activation and get my copy of Windows working again. While we were waiting for my computer to re-boot, I asked him why, after four years, Windows decided it needed to reactivate. He told me that a "signficant hardware change" could trigger it. I asked him whether installing a new NIC was considered a "significant hardware change." He told me that it was! I thanked him, hung up, logged onto FT and wrote this post so that I could ask this question:

Why shouldn't I file a class action suit against Microsoft for fraud, breach of warranty and breach of license?

I am beyond furious that (1) it took me more than an hour and a half to re-activate software that I am legally licensed to have and use, and (2) Microsoft demands personal information to which it has absolutely no legal entitlement before it will remove the virus (which is how I characterize this "feature") that interferes with my legal use of the product under the license.

/RANT off

How many of you have gone through this idiocy?
I have some slightly used Bose QC2s that you would ******* love!
Old Jan 19, 2007, 10:30 pm

I got angry just reading this! I feel like lodging a complaint now. What is your name and I will pass it along?
Old Jan 19, 2007, 10:40 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Any hardware change to the system, network card, hard drive, processor upgrade, video card upgrade can trigger a reactivation. It's been that way for ages.

They base the activation on some combination of unique indntifiers of your hardware, change enough of it and it thinks you are using it on a different machine.

Sucks to be sure, but it's been that way for a while. You could have made up a name and probably cut an hour off the phone call.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 10:43 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Sue! Sue! Sue!
Old Jan 19, 2007, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alect
Sue! Sue! Sue!
I'm a little sensitive to the issue because I just finished a case in which one of my clients was sued by Microsoft. I can't provide any details but, for the last year or so, I heard an awful lot about Microsoft's intellectual property rights in the process. This blatant violation of license and subsequent attempt to extort marketing information is just too over the top.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 10:55 pm

I'm a little sensitive to the issue because I just finished a case in which one of my clients was sued by Microsoft. I can't provide any details but, for the last year or so, I heard an awful lot about Microsoft's intellectual property rights in the process. This blatant violation of license and subsequent attempt to extort marketing information is just too over the top.
Q: What is your name.
A: Charles Manson
Q: What is your address:
A: P.O. Box 8800. Corcoran, CA 93212

Easy as pie
Old Jan 19, 2007, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You should. It is my understanding that class action suits net the lawyers millions of dollars in fees. I would not begrudge you a single one. ^
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:00 pm

Programs: I fly whomever offers the best flight(s) where and when I want to go (with some exceptions...)
Originally Posted by alect
Sue! Sue! Sue!
Or... you know... buy a Mac (and get a better computer while you are at it).

I remember the first time I was on the phone with Qwest for a DSL outage at my house...

Quoting:
me: "You know, my modem has crashed more than my PC has"
Qwest: "we're really very sorry about this; most of our customers really are very happy with our reliable service."
me: [after a moment of quiet reflection] "you misunderstand me-- my DSL modem has now crashed once, and my mac has never crashed..."
Qwest: "oh"
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by birdstrike
You should. It is my understanding that class action suits net the lawyers millions of dollars in fees. I would not begrudge you a single one. ^
Indeed, and if Charlie does in fact surf, get him involved as a plaintiff after you enter him in their database!
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:29 pm

This is why my desktop is still running Windows 2000 Pro and given my current usage pattern I have absolutely no intention of "upgrading" until their extended support runs out in 2010..
Old Jan 20, 2007, 7:27 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Microsoft, like any other large Corporation, will keep their 'business as usual' practices until they get hit with legal costly issues.

As long as they're able to stuff their sw with virus, people willingly spend hours on the phone to get it removed - everything is Ok - eventually MS may dissuade illegals from using their sw, even if it causes huges inconvenience to the vast majority of legal users.

If I were you and had the time and knowledge - I'd sue them.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sue them because YOU triggered a well documented anti piracy feature?

Good luck with that.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 8:31 am

Programs: United GS, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AC
Originally Posted by ScottC
Sue them because YOU triggered a well documented anti piracy feature?

Good luck with that.
Well-documented, maybe, but not consistent. I just changed the processor on one of my computers (from a single- to dual-core AMD), and I didn't have to re-install or re-activate.

Anyway, I hope OP does have luck suing them. Supposedly Windows Vista will be even worse -- it is only allowed to be transferred to a new computer once, and Microsoft wont' even say what 'new' means, so it could just be a small hardware change. After that, you have to buy a new copy, whether or not you provide them with your personal information.

btw, ScottC, The OP can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the issue is not that re-activation is necessary, but that they try to trick you into buying another copy instead of re-activating, then if you persist they demand your personal information when you attempt to re-activate. Those two items probably aren't in the license agreement!
Old Jan 20, 2007, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Replacing the NIC by itself shouldn't trigger a reactivation but it comes close to the threshold. The problem is one of the pieces of system identification information is the MAC from the NIC.

Did you perhaps do something else in the last 4 months? You could have had another change that was below the threshold and then added the NIC on top of it and put it over the limit. Various changes have various point scores, too many points and you need to reactivate.

Note, also, that many people with apparently legitimate copies of Windows have had trouble because the manufacturer did something they shouldn't have. Sometimes innocently (they had the licenses, they just copied the HD image), sometimes not so innocently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.