Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Help! Laptop consumes too much power to use power port??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help! Laptop consumes too much power to use power port??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2007, 9:54 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Can those with the IGOs tell me if they have an empower plug? I am looking at the igo everywhere 130. I fly AA mostly which i understand has a standard car type adapter. But I fly partners internationally and need empower. I cant tell in my research if the DC cord has an empower connector or not on them. Although I found in another link for a $13 adapter. Just dont want to keep getting more cords to eliminate them....
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:09 am

Make sure you have enough power in your battery to boot up. Then plug in, an then remove the battery.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 11:21 am

tenmoc, the empower plug is located just underneath the car plug. You press a tab on the end to remove it and expose the empower plug.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Didn't your iGo adapter come with both AC and DC/cigarette/Empower connectors? The reason I first bought my iGo was to eliminate carrying the manufacturer-provided brick. In fact, the iGo, plugged into AC power, is powering the laptop right now
Sorry, I meant to say that I bought the 70W iGo, whose tip only powers the LT, not charges it.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVP, HH Diamond, *Wood Plat
Originally Posted by ntamayo
Had the same prob with my Dell Precision M60. My 90W adapter far exceeded the power onboard. Followed the previouly mentioned advice of removing the battery.

Ended up buying the iGO Everywhere 130, which powers the LT but doesn't charge the battery. However, I still have to carry the brick in my luggage to recharge while on ground. Not exactly a keen solution.

If only Dell came up with a small gizmo that charges only the battery and has an adapter for iGO.
I have a Dell brick that does AC, 12V car, and Empower. It's for the D600, but they might have one for other LT's.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL DM,Marriott Plat
Another option is the APC Universal Notebook Battery. I'm able to get six plus hours out of mine. Not the cheapest solution, but then I'm no longer dependent on airline power.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by georgehf
I have the same thing from Kensington but it's a 120W. It works great for all of my devices with ac/dc/cigarette, 110v/220v... even on AA. Never tried the empower but it has the adapter.
I've got one as well.

It works on the CO 110v outlets, and on bmi long haul, but keeps tripping on BA, AA and KLM.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
I bought an inverter (don't remember the wattage at this point) from Sharper Image years ago, and it fried on the plane with smoke and that nice electrical fire smell. It definitely got the FA's attention. I brought the unit back for a replacement, and that one fried on the first use too. I then spent half as much at Target, and have had no problems.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:25 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Starwood Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Didn't your iGo adapter come with both AC and DC/cigarette/Empower connectors? The reason I first bought my iGo was to eliminate carrying the manufacturer-provided brick. In fact, the iGo, plugged into AC power, is powering the laptop right now
One problem with Dells is that the power connector uses a proprietary center pin - 3rd party adapters like iGo, Targus, etc are only able to run the laptop, not charge it. Thus, when I travel I need to bring both the iGo or Targus (have both, one is European) as well as the original Dell brick if I want to be able to charge the laptop. However, as other posters have pointed out at least I don't have to lug around the specific chargers for my cell phone, Palm, iPod, etc.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
Originally Posted by dane1
One problem with Dells is that the power connector uses a proprietary center pin - 3rd party adapters like iGo, Targus, etc are only able to run the laptop, not charge it. Thus, when I travel I need to bring both the iGo or Targus (have both, one is European) as well as the original Dell brick if I want to be able to charge the laptop. However, as other posters have pointed out at least I don't have to lug around the specific chargers for my cell phone, Palm, iPod, etc.
My Kensington 120W adapter both powers and charges my Dell D610.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.