Wiki Posts
Search

USB headset recs for Skype?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2006, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
USB headset recs for Skype?

I travel overseas frequently and I have been looking for a reliable and inexpensive way to keep in touch with family in the US. I used Skype for the first time today, and I was pretty impressed -- wish it hadn't taken me so long to trying it out!

I have a pair of Gigaware headphones sold by Radio Shack. I noticed some problems with mute coming on randomly, which is apparently a common complaint with this model.

Anyway, I am so sold on Skype now that I'd like to buy a very nice USB headset for making calls. I have had good success with Sennheiser audio headphones in the past, so I was thinking about buying a pair of the 135s, 145s, or 155s. Before I took the plunge, though, I am hoping that some FT friends can make recommendations. Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by gbjd1205
I travel overseas frequently and I have been looking for a reliable and inexpensive way to keep in touch with family in the US. I used Skype for the first time today, and I was pretty impressed -- wish it hadn't taken me so long to trying it out!

I have a pair of Gigaware headphones sold by Radio Shack. I noticed some problems with mute coming on randomly, which is apparently a common complaint with this model.

Anyway, I am so sold on Skype now that I'd like to buy a very nice USB headset for making calls. I have had good success with Sennheiser audio headphones in the past, so I was thinking about buying a pair of the 135s, 145s, or 155s. Before I took the plunge, though, I am hoping that some FT friends can make recommendations. Thanks in advance.
not exactly what you are asking for but have a look here www.mplat.com
Old Nov 30, 2006, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Sorry I wasn't clearer. I'm looking for recommendations for USB headsets. Thanks~~
Old Dec 14, 2006, 11:47 am
Original Member

Wow, nobody has a recommendation? I wanted one too!

QL
Old Dec 14, 2006, 11:55 am

I use my bluetooth ear piece and a USB bluetooth dongle. Then I am not tied down in front of my computer while in the hotel room. I have the bluetooth ear piece with me anyway along with my cell phone.Very compact, inexpensive and works well.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:51 pm
Original Member

I use a Plantronics DSP400 that I purchased off Amazon.com
Old Dec 14, 2006, 2:13 pm

I use a USB phone from Vondoo

http://www.vondoo.com/
Old Dec 14, 2006, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
This Netgear WiFi phone is rather cool!
http://tools.netgear.com/skype/
Old Dec 14, 2006, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA; DL;
I got one of the USB headsets that Radio Shack recommended (not sure brand but was about $50) but I can tell you that I wished I had gotten a bluetooth one. My only concern with a wireless option is that it won't cancel out ambient noise like the regular headset does.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 3:21 pm

Programs: LH-FTL, BRgold, EKsilver, FB silver, IHG-RA
Originally Posted by sggolf
I use a Plantronics DSP400 that I purchased off Amazon.com
I second the Plantronics DSP 400 USB headset. I've tried several USB phones, but went back to the DPS 400 headset. The sound quality with Skype is really awesome.

LESS BULKY ALTERNATIVE: Retractable mono headset + USB soundcard
Yet, in my search to travel with less bulk, I tend to use the DSP 400 at the office only lately. And while traveling I use a cheap compact retractable mono headset with microphone (the ZIP-AUDIO-PC1 from Ziplinq). Which I combine with the Turtle Beach AudioAdvantage usb soundcard. The latter allows me to hear the ringer on incoming Skype calls through my laptop speakers as well (instead of through the headset only for non-USB connections). Saves a lot of bulk and weight, without giving in too much on sound quality.

My attempts to get a decent sound quality on Skype with my Plantronics Discovery 655 BT headset have failed so far.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Count me as another satisfied Plantronics DSP 400 user.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 7:07 pm

USB wired Logitech headset. I use it everyday and on trips. Had the Skype logo on the box. I go with wired as to not deal with the possibility of interference/data loss/transfer. Works very well.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Pointeater
USB wired Logitech headset. I use it everyday and on trips. Had the Skype logo on the box. I go with wired as to not deal with the possibility of interference/data loss/transfer. Works very well.
Same here for my road travel, plus my PocketPC as a backup. At home I have the Netgeard Skype Adapter and connect it to a regular phone.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

About 5% of the time I am happy with the foldable Plantronics DSP 400 units. The other 95% of the time I am happy with the built in mic and loudspeakers on the Thinkpad T42 and T40.

MisterNice
Old Dec 15, 2006, 6:57 pm

Programs: US Chairman
I use the Logitech 350 USB headset. Works great! At Target for $40.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.