Wiki Posts
Search

Identity Theft and My New Tech Needs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Identity Theft and My New Tech Needs

This past May, I discovered someone had stolen my identity. We got it early enough that the $17k run up in my name was not my responsibility. Everything was quiet during the summer. Two weeks ago, a $6950 balance transfer from a Capital One credit card (which I don't have and which is not according to my credit report issued in my name) onto my AMEX went through. I caught it (here in Russia) via a random check of my AMEX account. I called that number on the back of the card and the lady, Brenda, I spoke with said she'd start an investigation and note the charge on my account as fraudulent. Two weeks later, I check back on line and the charge is still there. I call that number back and find out that there is no note about it on my account after all. Very strange but that is for another forum.

The two weeks I was away from email I only had a cell phone with me. The identity theft issue, the need to stay constantly on top of my personal accounts, traveling more than ever, and the unfortunate reality that the first line of defense (Brenda in this case) does not always perform as promised and must be followed up on has me needing to seriously upgrade my connectability. Here's my challenges and I'd appreciate any helpful input you might offer:

1. I am in the US about half the year and in Russia (Siberia no less) the other half. Long term contracts with mobile providers are counter productive (cost wise) for me. I pay for all of my U.S. based cell phone expenses. The NPO I work for pays for most of my Russian expenses. Point here is that a long term contract hits me right in the pocketbook (so does identify theft I guess).

2. Having email and internet connectability at all times is a must for me.

3. Having a unit that works in Russia, Germany, and Ukraine as well as the States is a must.

4. I'd like to have something that runs Outlook effectively.

5. Hot spots, while growing more common and even free in some places, are still a bit of a rarity where I live and work in Russia. The GSM standard though is alive and well here through Russian companies MTC, BeeLine, and Megafone. I am a MTC customer now but would gladly jump to another if needed.

6. I travel with a lot with groups (i.e. kids, elderly) that need my full attention and free hands while traveling so lugging a notebook around is becoming less and less possible. In the pocket or on the hip is best.

7. I am hard on my phones and so are the -40 temps I work and travel in during the winter here.

8. In the States, I am currently on month #2 of a 12 month contract with T-Mobile.

9. I want as secure a unit as possible. Any phones/PDAs known to be more/less secure than others? Does that depend on the phone, software, provider, or all three maybe?

The Treo 600 was good to me option wise but mine was an apparent lemon. I kept a hex wrench with me all the time and used it constantly to fiddle with the "innerds". I'm afraid to go down that route again. The 650 looks ok but I need something ultra sturdy. Not sure about it.

So...given those painful realities, what insight might you have? Any other information you need to know?

Identity theft is a horrifying. I'll do whatever I need to stay on it.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Skype?

Originally Posted by woody125
1. I am in the US about half the year and in Russia (Siberia no less) the other half. Long term contracts with mobile providers are counter productive (cost wise) for me. I pay for all of my U.S. based cell phone expenses. The NPO I work for pays for most of my Russian expenses. Point here is that a long term contract hits me right in the pocketbook (so does identify theft I guess).
Not an elegant solution, but I have a Skype account, with a local US phone number. I can forward my normal US phone numbers to this account, and I paid for the voicemail option, so can easily access these.

I can even answer the phone as it's coming in, if my laptop is on, and I'm close enough to the computer. I can also call the US for 2 cents or so a minute from outside the US, or free until the end of the year when I'm inside the US.

I had problems with my Paypal card being "locked" when I was in Australia and Thailand this year. If I would have had to pay for calling them on a normal line I'd be broke!
Old Nov 16, 2006, 2:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
Same here. I got some one opens 16 accounts all under my name. Some credit cards, some in installments. It was discovered accidentally by a policeman who caught a theft in possession of a brand new credit card under my name. One time, I got the bank clerk stole my debit card too! So, this thing does happen in the US.

I did the following. I login to Experian and got a free credit report which contains all the outstanding credits items. Then I disputed everyone of them. Just this morning, I got the three replies from them that most of the collectors and banks agreed to drop the bad credits from my file. I did not even need to make one phone call so far. However, Capital One does not want to release me. I guess I need to work with them or just let it be. My credit is now being ruined. I guess I need to be on cash basis from now on.

So, go to Experian website and start the cleanning process. Sign up for their service which costs around 10 dollars a month. If anyone touches your credit report, you will get notified immediately.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 2:34 am
aly

my 2 cents..

i can also suggest that in addition to the previously mentioned solutions;

u use an encryption technology s/w; i am not too familiar with them but i have heard of PGP (pretty good privacy) for your laptop, and skype is supposed to be hack-safe as well...

good luck in siberia,

a.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Hotspring
... Capital One does not want to release me. I guess I need to work with them or just let it be..
Similar situation with me and Discover Card. I had to get a lawyer to write them a letter. After that it cleared from my Credit Report when I contested it.

They probably believe that you owe them ... think of all the crap stories their collection dept probably hears day in and day out. From my experience, any of their attempts to "work with you" will merely be attempts to squeeze cash out of you that you dont owe them.

If it were me, I'd quit talking to them and get advice from a lawyer I trust.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Thanks to those who have responded. I sincerely appreciate it.

I might need to clarify my need here a bit more. I feel that I'm on top of the ID theft issue as a whole when I am near a phone, email, and the web. A phone is a constant with me. Email and WWW access are not always with me. I'm looking for an all in one unit that meets the above criteria as well as it needs to handle Russian language fonts for www sites, email, and SMSes.

Equifax knows me well right now as do the other two credit reporting agencies. If anyone burps and it sounds anything like my SS#, I am notified immediately but only if I have a email, www, and/or phone access.

So, the all in one unit is what I'm looking for.

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.