Multiple remote users control one computer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multiple remote users control one computer

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2006, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Put windows server on it. It can handle multiple connections.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 8:52 pm

Programs: Haven't been flying for a while... :(
Originally Posted by thegeneral
Put windows server on it. It can handle multiple connections.
... so can Windows XP. Not that it'd do the OP any good; Windows Server's Terminal Server is expressly not what was needed, but rather a way to share the same screen across multiple users. Windows XP Remote Desktop is the closest you'd find, but that doesn't provide the service for multiple users.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AC
Just OK

Here's an update: Using TightVNC Server and View works great at letting multiple people connect to one computer, all at the same time.

However, my colleagues (on a LAN) are complaining that it doesn't refresh enough. They will use a program (like Excel even) and scroll around or make changes, and not see it on the screen. Sometimes they'll open up a program and just see the outline of the window, but none of the content.

As a result, they end up just logging in with GoToMyPC or LogMeIn, which both work great but only one person can use at a time.

Anyone have a solution to this? Is there a better viewer? Or a different flavor of VNC that will allow multiple simultaneous connections?
Old Mar 19, 2007, 5:54 pm

This likely occurs because the VNC server doesn't notice all the changes to the server's desktop. You might try changing the "capture method" in the VNC server settings to poll for changes rather than using hooks, if such an option is available. It is available in RealVNC; don't know about TightVNC but it's worth a look.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 11:22 am

Windows Remote Desktop

Originally Posted by Capite
...Anyone have a solution to this? Is there a better viewer? Or a different flavor of VNC that will allow multiple simultaneous connections?
Windows Remote Desktop comes standard with XP Pro and can be slightly modified to allow for multiple users to login simultaneously. More information and walkthrough:

http://sig9.com/articles/concurrent-remote-desktop

Possible to view/control remote computer as well as share files and sound. Excellent solution without additional software. I find it much quicker than VNC.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

@ ttjoseph: hmm... no "capture settings" anywhere I can find on TightVNC. Maybe I'll find a different viewer.

@ driftings: WinXP simultaneous users on Remote Desktop is interesting; unfortunately I checked out the link and each connection must be logged in under a different Windows account - we are trying to be logged in and seeing the same thing on the screen.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 2:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
For remote application use, UltraVNC is much better than TightVNC. It does a much better job of seeing screen updates, since it actually uses a video driver to watch the screen.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by murphy
For remote application use, UltraVNC is much better than TightVNC. It does a much better job of seeing screen updates, since it actually uses a video driver to watch the screen.
Thanks for that. I am testing out UltraVNC now. Do I have to enable some setting or plugin or something to use the video driver you talk about? Is it the "optional Mirror Driver"?
Old Mar 25, 2007, 2:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Capite
Thanks for that. I am testing out UltraVNC now. Do I have to enable some setting or plugin or something to use the video driver you talk about? Is it the "optional Mirror Driver"?
Yes, that's it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.