Study on cell phones

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Study on cell phones

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2006, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Study on cell phones

This is NOT UA specific, but is brought up so often on this forum (the only 1 I read) so I will post here, and if the Mods move it to OMNI or wherever, so be it.

Seems Carnegie Mellon did a study and cell phones DO disrupt navigation equipment...

From USA Today..
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...s-planes_x.htm

"Granger Morgan, head of Carnegie Mellon's Department of Engineering and Public Policy Department, said the activity recorded shows that the use of electronic devices should be limited on airplanes.

Morgan said the disruptions are enough to impact a plane's navigation or other systems."

No word on your Bose headphones though.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 6:52 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Article Doesn't Support Itself

The article cited requires further inquiry, because it doesn't support itself.

What it refers to is the fact that they took a spectrum analyzer onboard and learned that people use their cellphones even when they are not supposed to do so. (I could have told them that without doing a study). One thing I can't tell from the "study" is whether it included use of email (i.e. - Blackberries, which I see even more than cellphone) or only voice devices.

But the article does not include *any* information to lead me to believe that they established an actual effect on flight instruments. That is, the only equipment it refers to is the spectrum analyzer. I am not a EE, so I would request that one of you speaks up. Just because they proved that people do sometimes use cellphones, do you see anything in the article which makes it seem like they correlated such usage to interference?
Old Mar 1, 2006, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
Originally Posted by sbrower
The article cited requires further inquiry, because it doesn't support itself.

What it refers to is the fact that they took a spectrum analyzer onboard and learned that people use their cellphones even when they are not supposed to do so. (I could have told them that without doing a study). One thing I can't tell from the "study" is whether it included use of email (i.e. - Blackberries, which I see even more than cellphone) or only voice devices.

But the article does not include *any* information to lead me to believe that they established an actual effect on flight instruments. That is, the only equipment it refers to is the spectrum analyzer. I am not a EE, so I would request that one of you speaks up. Just because they proved that people do sometimes use cellphones, do you see anything in the article which makes it seem like they correlated such usage to interference?
very informal survey with light plane drivers, but no one has ever seen any interference. We use the same radios and instruments as the "big boys" and the phone is much closer to our radios and antenna.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 2:48 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This article is interesting reading but useless in a scientific capacity. Furthermore, the study as described in the article differs from what the first paragraph implies:

"Talking on cellphones or using laptops on an airplane could disrupt cockpit operations, especially global positioning devices that are increasingly being used to help land planes safely, according to a new study."

To test this,

"Researchers monitored radio emissions from passengers on three airlines with the support of the Transportation Security Agency. The emissions were tracked using a broadband antenna that was attached to a portable spectrum analyzer in a piece of carryon luggage."

Seems to me they are measuring the quantity EM emissions but not whether these emissions interfere with aircraft operation!

Wait, here it is-- the conclusive evidence!:

"Morgan said the disruptions are enough to impact a plane's navigation or other systems."

Well, Morgan said so, so it must be true. Bad study, worse article. Nuff said.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by hawkxp
very informal survey with light plane drivers, but no one has ever seen any interference. We use the same radios and instruments as the "big boys" and the phone is much closer to our radios and antenna.
Plus, the big iron has much better shielding on their avionics.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
I'll certainly look at the report when my issue of IEEE Spectrum arrives, but according to the USA Today article, no attempt was made to see if RF emissions from cellphones had any effect on avionics or radionavigation. A study published in the IEEE Journal of Electromagnetic Compatibility a year or two ago specifically studied cellphone emissions from the passenger compartment on a commercial airliner (not in the air), and found that they were not on frequencies that could affect avionics or radionavigation.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 2:56 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Ari
Wait, here it is-- the conclusive evidence!:

"Morgan said the disruptions are enough to impact a plane's navigation or other systems."

Well, Morgan said so, so it must be true. Bad study, worse article. Nuff said.
As an old professor I had would say - "The proof is trivial" or "The proof is left as an exercise for the interested student."

Reminds me of the old Far Side cartoon with the proof on the blackboard and a box in the middle that says "and then a miracle occurs".
Old Mar 1, 2006, 2:58 pm

Programs: MP Platinum
I would think the study tends to prove the opposite. Since it proves that cell phones are being used during a (statistically significant?) number of take off and landings, and planes are not falling out of the sky and landing on terminals, I would say that supports the "cell phones are safe" argument.

Thousands of flights, millions cell phones, they are NOT all off.

Is it a triple blind test if the experimentor doesn't have a clue?
Old Mar 1, 2006, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA
How inconclusive... how can that get published in IEEE Spectrum
Old Mar 1, 2006, 3:49 pm

The USA today article is pretty bad. Mcpaper does it again.

I found the real study: http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/mar06/3069. It addresses many points brought up in this thread.

Basically it only proves that cell phones in various electromagnetic ranges are being used on planes. It needs supporting data from NASA studies such as this to show that it is dangerous to GPS systems.

The view is that intermodulation (mixing of PED signals) is the real problem here. These "spurious emissions" have been show to cause interference on navigational frequencies, which are separate from the various cell phone frequencies.

mahasamatman, if the GPS navigation system on a plane shielded out all of the electromagnetic signals, wouldn't it be useless? The spurious emissions are the hazard here it seems.

hawkxp:
One phone would not operate on the frequencies for the instruments. However, multiple phones may cause intermodulation. I think they definitely need more research before rushing to approve cell phones for airplane use.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by dohvegas
if the GPS navigation system on a plane shielded out all of the electromagnetic signals, wouldn't it be useless?
No. It's the antenna that needs to receive the satellite signal, not the actual avionics box. And the antenna should be shielded from everything below it and only receive signals from above as well. As long as the signal from the antenna can make it to the box (the cable is shielded as well), you're good to go.

It's pretty much the same for the communications equipment - shield the box and cables as well as possible, and make sure the antenna is shielded from spurious transmissions.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 4:26 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Since not UA-specific, I am moving to Travel Technology.

And for the op -- or anyone else -- even if there is a forum you don't read regularly, it's easy enough to subscribe to this or any other thread.

cblaisd
Moderator, United
Old Mar 1, 2006, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Since not UA-specific, I am moving to Travel Technology.
It looks like TravelBuzz has most of the cell phone in flight threads, e.g.:

Cell phone use in flight - inevitable?
Will Cell Phones be eventually allowed on flights- your guess?
Cell Phones In-Flight ?
FCC considering cell phone use in flight
Old Mar 2, 2006, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
A couple of other possibly relevant journal articles:

Electromagnetic Interference Assessment of CDMA and GSM Wireless Phones to Aircraft Navigation Radios
http://library-dspace.larc.nasa.gov/...21dasc-jje.pdf

Investigation of spurious emissions from cellular phones and the possible effect on aircraft navigation equipment
Kuriger, G.; Grant, H.; Cartwright, A.; Heirman, D.;Electromagnetic Compatibility, IEEE Transactions on Volume 45, Issue 2, May 2003 Page(s):281 - 292
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/iel5/15/2...isnumber=27034
Old Mar 3, 2006, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
One of the nightly snooze shows (NBC I think) had this absurd story the other day. What a load of crap. They CM folks were shocked (shocked!) to learn that people were using unauthorised electronic devices like cellphones in flight. Nobody bothered to mention how many of the devices were simply left on by accident. The big fear they tried to promote is that GPS data would be mangled and cause a crash.

Aha -- I found it. NBC Nightly News story here. The absurd headline? "Don’t risk it: Turn off your cell phone on planes." It comes complete with video.
According to scientists and government officials, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that suggests battery-operated devices, including cell phones, computers and handheld games — especially those with wireless signals — might disrupt critical aircraft navigation systems.
And from the CM guy:
We also found quite a lot of interference in the GPS band — that’s the global positioning satellite band — and that’s really troubling because increasingly airlines are using this for precision approach.”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.