Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sao Paulo Prepaid SIM

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2006, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Sao Paulo Prepaid SIM

I will be going to Sao Paulo, Brazil mid-July this summer and am looking for a prepaid SIM to use while there. I've seen a few on the net but those seem to be geared towards users in Rio de Janeiro. Ideally I'd like one that would get me a local number in Sao Paulo and the ability to call back to the US at a reasonable rate. My hunch is that there are some to be had once I arrive in Brazil but it would be nice to get one in advance.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 12:18 am

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
Originally Posted by celloville
I will be going to Sao Paulo, Brazil mid-July this summer and am looking for a prepaid SIM to use while there. I've seen a few on the net but those seem to be geared towards users in Rio de Janeiro. Ideally I'd like one that would get me a local number in Sao Paulo and the ability to call back to the US at a reasonable rate. My hunch is that there are some to be had once I arrive in Brazil but it would be nice to get one in advance.
I've bought UK and all-country SIMs from Telestial in the past and the service has been good. I would buy from them again (haven't checked on their availability for Brazil though).
Old Feb 24, 2006, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PhoenixCMC
I've bought UK and all-country SIMs from Telestial in the past and the service has been good. I would buy from them again (haven't checked on their availability for Brazil though).
Thanks for that info. It looks reasonable (rates/roaming/number). I might go with that one if I can't find one that has a local Sao Paulo number.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 8:00 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
As far as I know you can get a SIM card at any mall. All Shopping Centres will have Telecom Reps that will gladly sell you a SIM card for your phone... Look for TIM and CLARO - these are the Telecom Operators for Sao Paulo you might be interested...
Old Feb 25, 2006, 8:23 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by pb9997
As far as I know you can get a SIM card at any mall. All Shopping Centres will have Telecom Reps that will gladly sell you a SIM card for your phone... Look for TIM and CLARO - these are the Telecom Operators for Sao Paulo you might be interested...
I have bought prepaid SIMs in many countries around the world, but when I tried to do this in Sao Paulo, they asked me for some sort of national identity card and other info that I didn't have. I had to drag a local with me to the mall to supply his info before I was successful in getting one.

The only reason I mention this is that if you plan to get a prepaid SIM in Brazil, I recommend doing it at the airport, where they are certainly accustomed to dealing with arriving foreigners, versus at the local mall, where they might not know how to handle that.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

One more similar question. Are there sim's that have prepaid GPRS available? It's probably stretching my luck trying to find this but it might be worth a shot. Thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2006, 2:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime PLT, Silver EK Skywards
It's true that they will ask you to provide some documentation. This was implemented a while back as a means to prevent fraud and crime. Many criminals were using these disposable SIM chips that were 100% untraceable.

I don't know what a foreign national could provide in terms of identity. I'll find out and try to post back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.