Community
Wiki Posts
Search

travel kettle

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2006, 11:58 am
Original Poster

travel kettle

I am a flight attendant for UAL... I love the electric kettles in rooms at international layovers... I hate the coffee makers in US hotel rooms. I question how clean they are,( all of those rumors about housekeepers cleaning them with bathroom cloths and toilet brushes!!!) and water does not get quite hot enough to make noodles and oatmeal, etc... (i call it astronaut food)...

I have searched online to try and buy mini travel kettles... they all seem to be from the UK, so would not be the right plug in for North America. Does anyone know where I could get a good, small, travel kettle?? thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2006, 1:05 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
not just the wrong plug , but the wrong voltage too !

Rally
Old Jan 19, 2006, 1:06 pm

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Before I picked up my Zujiroshi hot water pot (great for the kitchen, much too big for travel), I used a Bodum mini-electric kettle. Very light weight and holds .8 litres. I picked mine up a long time ago at the Crate & Barrel outlet store for $10, but you should be able to find it for under $20 ...
link: Bodum mini kettle
Old Jan 20, 2006, 8:44 am
Pyg

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by goose77
I am a flight attendant for UAL... I love the electric kettles in rooms at international layovers... I hate the coffee makers in US hotel rooms. I question how clean they are,( all of those rumors about housekeepers cleaning them with bathroom cloths and toilet brushes!!!) and water does not get quite hot enough to make noodles and oatmeal, etc... (i call it astronaut food)...

I have searched online to try and buy mini travel kettles... they all seem to be from the UK, so would not be the right plug in for North America. Does anyone know where I could get a good, small, travel kettle?? thanks!

I don't have a Kettle tip for you but I do second your opinion about the cleaniness of the coffee pots. I woke up one morning and made coffee (I'm a coffee nut so I bring my own coffee). Instead of enjoying my brew, it tasted like someone had put soap in my coffee pot. UGH. I had to toss out the coffee.

I haven't seen anyone use a toilet brush to clean a coffee pot, but I have seen how some housekeepers clean the glasses that they leave near your ice bucket. I walked in a guestroom and the housekeeper was in the bathroom and had those glasses in the sink with the hot water turned on. I suspect that the same rag they were wiping down the shower with was going to be the same one they wiped used to wipe down those glasses.

If they aren't wrapped in plastic, I don't use them.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Hey thanks... I will search for that brand of kettle... and I think I will def. start paking a cup and a mug of my own too. God only knows what germs I have consumed in my hotel room in the last 6 years of flying! Hopefully all the vodka I have consumed "unwinding" has killed them!
Old Jan 20, 2006, 11:52 pm

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
You can also find really basic heating elements that are designed to be plugged in and submerged into a container of water. That would certainly save space. Of course, you'd have to be sure that wherever you stay has at minimum a ceramic coffee mug, or some other container that would not melt if the heating element happened to touch the side of the container.

I found an example of one here: http://www.goinginstyle.com/gis/body...id=7&pf_id=108
Old Jan 21, 2006, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by goose77
You can make the UK one work, I've been doing it for 10+ years. The 240v UK kettle will work fine in the US, it just takes longer to heat up. Since it is only a heating element, there's no cycles to worry about. The plug -- you can buy a UK to US adapter and use it like that, but it adds some bulk/weight. I bought a replaceable European two-pin plug, cut off the British plug, and wired that in. Took five minutes, and I use it with an adapter in the US.

Last trip through LHR I bought a replacement kettle because I can't believe that the one I'm using was bought circa 1993-1994 in London and still going strong on 15-20 trips a year.

Cheers,
Leo
Old Jan 21, 2006, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I use the wonderful Zujiroshi at home!

Originally Posted by Rampo
Before I picked up my Zujiroshi hot water pot (great for the kitchen, much too big for travel), I used a Bodum mini-electric kettle. Very light weight and holds .8 litres. I picked mine up a long time ago at the Crate & Barrel outlet store for $10, but you should be able to find it for under $20 ...
link: Bodum mini kettle
But when travel I use the light weight plug in coil. I carry some disposable cups made of heavy paper (10 for $2.50 at my grocery store). They have a plastic sipping lid. I've made tea, noodles, instant potatos and other sorts of astronaut food. The coils last about a year now that they are made in China. I also carry plastic spoons, forks and knives. I don't touch what the maids do. I stay healthier that way.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 12:51 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
what kind of store would you find the metal "coil" heaters in ?

I remember them but have no idea where to look for them here in California ,
or if I was in Europe

thanks

Rally
Old Jan 21, 2006, 3:27 pm

==> 110Volts Runs On 240Volts Safely - With a Diode <==

I always carry a water heating coil rated at 110 Volts. They are more compact, more adaptable to any type of container / quantity of water.

To use the 110 Volt unit on a 240 Volt supply have some handy person make you an adapter, with a plug on one end and a socket to suit the heater on the other end, with a 600PIV / 10AMP DIODE in ONE WIRE. Use TEFLON SLEEVING to cover the diode (heat resistant).

<-------(DIODE)-------------------------<
240 Volt supply . . . . . . . 110Volt equipment
<----------------------------------------<

Basically the diode chops half the cycle off the incoming power which effectively cuts the supply voltage in half. This is good for hair dryers, heating elements NOT for razors or electronic goods especially computers.

Get a Vietnamese drip coffee unit (USD$2) < http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...2520filter.jpg > then you can enjoy REAL coffee!

Last edited by J Houston; Jan 21, 2006 at 3:30 pm
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:07 am

travel kettle

Hi, I know what you mean. You could try the Cookworks Travel Kettle from Argos in the UK. I believe it's dual voltage and is switchable underneath the kettle. Good luck! Here's a link http://answers.argos.co.uk/answers/1.../questions.htm
Old Feb 22, 2012, 6:19 am

Programs: HA PUALANI GOLD
HI goose77
i did a search on e-bay for travel coffee maker found 129. you might go there and find what you.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: None anymore
A great travel 'pot' from a previous thread. Sanyo Travel Cooker

Honestly for $100 you can't beat it IMHO..
Plug adapters are less then $3.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 7:05 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Look underneath the kettle

Originally Posted by cefntilla
Hi, I know what you mean. You could try the Cookworks Travel Kettle from Argos in the UK. I believe it's dual voltage and is switchable underneath the kettle. Good luck! Here's a link http://answers.argos.co.uk/answers/1.../questions.htm
Yes, many of these kettles are built to run on 110 or 240V. Look underneath them. Either stamped on the plastic or on a label you should find 110-240V if it''s able to operate at dual voltage. Then just use a standard cheap plug converter you can pick this up anywhere.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Flahusky
A great travel 'pot' from a previous thread. Sanyo Travel Cooker

Honestly for $100 you can't beat it IMHO..
Plug adapters are less then $3.
This is the best that I have used. Mine is 7 yrs old. It was recommended by a colleague who's unit was already 8 yrs old and still going strong after 15 yrs.

With one of these you can get a real meal as opposed to instant noodles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.