Prepaid French GPRS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prepaid French GPRS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA G-1MM/*G, B6 Mosaicm, DL G, HH S, Bonvoy(...?) Plat, Avis PS, Hertz 5*, Nat ExVIP
Prepaid French GPRS

Hey!

So, I'm talking at lunch with a friend and he's going on a cycling tour across France next month. Like me, he can't be away from his email.

So, does anyone know of a French prepaid SIM that supports open Internet access over GPRS? He only needs it for a month.

Timothy
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, both SFR and Orange offer GPRS on prepaid, expect to pay around .15 euro cents per kb transferred. Bouygues does not offer prepaid GPRS unless something changed recently.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why is data so expensive? Because they can get people to pay for it, or is it actually expensive for them?
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doppy
Why is data so expensive? Because they can get people to pay for it, or is it actually expensive for them?
GPRS is pretty much always expensive in Europe. On my corporate accounts I used to pay EUR35 for just 25Mb of data. Now on T-mobile I get unlimited for $19.95, that is unheard of in Europe.

It isn't expensive for them, and their networks were made ready for it years ago, it is for the same reasons that they will charge you 30 euro cents just to send an SMS message, because they can.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 12:59 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I hate to resurrect an old thread, but has it gotten any better for GPRS data in France since this thread was started? I know there are some 'unlimited' deals in the UK, but is there anything similar in France?
Old Jul 9, 2007, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Not as of last year. French prepaid GPRS was so expensive that I found it was cheaper to use my UK prepaid SIM and roam for data.

Actually, Orange now appear to offer unlimited Orange World access for €6/month. But it's not clear whether (as in the UK) that means all internet access, or just a walled garden.

In general though, the cost for GPRS on prepaid is €0.015/Kb. Ouch.

Last edited by typical; Jul 9, 2007 at 5:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.