Community
Wiki Posts
Search

allofmp3.com

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2006, 1:03 pm

Good points, ScottC.

Also, what about 2nd hand stores and used sales from places like the Amazon.com marketplace and eBay? Why isn't the RIAA "Cracking down" on those sales? No one's making any royalties from that, and I've bought a number of used hard-to-find CDs on the order of $2 + shipping from eBay and Amazon.com marketplace.

Why no crackdown on this?
Old Mar 30, 2006, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Museekster: Are artists compensated for the downloads and how does this work in Russia?

Allofmp3: We pay monthly deductions to ROMS. The distribution of the royalties to the authors fully depends on ROMS. ROMS (as well as RAO) distributes the royalties based on sales amount.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 2:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by ScottC
Having seen several episodes of "MTV Cribs", I am convinced they don't need my support.
Bill Gates has a big house. Is it cool to steal Windows?

As noble as your statement is, money talks. Do you pick the more expensive stores for your CD's? Or make sure to never buy a CD when it is on sale?
Of course not. Does the wholesale price change when an item is on sale?
Museekster: Are artists compensated for the downloads and how does this work in Russia?

Allofmp3: We pay monthly deductions to ROMS. The distribution of the royalties to the authors fully depends on ROMS. ROMS (as well as RAO) distributes the royalties based on sales amount.
You say it's OK because AllofMP3 says it's okay? They're not licensed to sell music anywhere outside of Russia. Period.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised you defend them and discuss them on this site. How are they different from one of the torrent sites that charge for access?
Old Mar 30, 2006, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
The record execs./labels are making a killing and artists never see their fair share of it.
That's frequently, but not always, true. So what? That doesn't make buying what is effectively a stolen product okay. I imagine most artists would prefer you buy their album from the legitimate source, rather than paying a shady company selling something that doesn't belong to them.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by murphy
Bill Gates has a big house. Is it cool to steal Windows?
And therein lies the difference in our opinions. I do not see using allofmp3.com as stealing. In MY opinion it is a legal service. In your opinion it is an illegal service. Lets just agree to disagree on that one, and please excuse me while I go download the new Rod Stewart album.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
...please excuse me while I go download the new Rod Stewart album.
You had me until you said that.

Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
You say it's OK because AllofMP3 says it's okay? They're not licensed to sell music anywhere outside of Russia. Period.
Allofmp3.com does sell music in Russia. I think that's why people are concerned with buying music from them. People associate Russia with phishing, identity theft, payment fraud, etc. (Right or wrong, that's the perception.)

So it's not that Allofmp3.com is doing anything illegal - when you visit the site, you are buying music in Russia, with the sales transaction executing on a server somewhere inside that country. I would just wonder how secure my data is when I do it. (In fairness, I've never read or heard about them doing anything improper.)

I've thought about using them, I just haven't gone through with it yet due to those nagging concerns about security, even though they are probably unfounded.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:15 pm

And therein lies the difference in our opinions. I do not see using allofmp3.com as stealing. In MY opinion it is a legal service. In your opinion it is an illegal service. Lets just agree to disagree on that one, and please excuse me while I go download the new Rod Stewart album.
Why do you think it's legal? It's copyrighted material being distributed without the permission of the copyright owner. You don't just get to decide that it's okay because it works better for you. You really ought to provide a link showing it's legal outside of Russia. Even allofmp3 doesn't claim that:
The user bears sole responsibility for any use and distribution of all materials received from AllOFMP3.com. This responsibility is dependent on the national legislation in each user's country of residence. The Administration of AllOFMP3.com does not possess information on the laws of each particular country and is not responsible for the actions of foreign users.
http://music.allofmp3.com/help/help....gal&rnd=842226

I'd love to hear your rationale for why this is okay but grabbing MS Office from thepiratebay.org or torrentz.com isn't.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
Allofmp3.com does sell music in Russia. I think that's why people are concerned with buying music from them. People associate Russia with phishing, identity theft, payment fraud, etc. (Right or wrong, that's the perception.)

So it's not that Allofmp3.com is doing anything illegal - when you visit the site, you are buying music in Russia, with the sales transaction executing on a server somewhere inside that country. I would just wonder how secure my data is when I do it. (In fairness, I've never read or heard about them doing anything improper.)

I've thought about using them, I just haven't gone through with it yet due to those nagging concerns about security, even though they are probably unfounded.
What put my concerns at ease is that they don't process their own payments; they have it outsourced to Chronopay; a Dutch based payment processor.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I buy through allofmp3.com and happily handed over my credit card details, I think all cards have some kind of online fraud guarantees anyway. As far as I am concerned I'm paying for the music and the artist is getting some royalties, it's not theft. Someone else can figure out the legality of it and should someone from the record industry here in the UK demand I stop using it with some legal authority, I will. I stopped using napster when it became illegal, I'll go the same way with this.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:18 pm

Copyright licenses grant distribution rights. No matter where their server is, they're distributing it to your computer. If your computer is outside Russia, then they don't have the right to do this.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why do you think it's legal? It's copyrighted material being distributed without the permission of the copyright owner. You don't just get to decide that it's okay because it works better for you. You really ought to provide a link showing it's legal outside of Russia. Even allofmp3 doesn't claim that:
The user bears sole responsibility for any use and distribution of all materials received from AllOFMP3.com. This responsibility is dependent on the national legislation in each user's country of residence. The Administration of AllOFMP3.com does not possess information on the laws of each particular country and is not responsible for the actions of foreign users.
http://music.allofmp3.com/help/help....gal&rnd=842226

I'd love to hear your rationale for why this is okay but grabbing MS Office from thepiratebay.org or torrentz.com isn't.
And therein lies the difference in our opinions. I do not see using allofmp3.com as stealing. In MY opinion it is a legal service. In your opinion it is an illegal service. Lets just agree to disagree on that one, and please excuse me while I go download the new Katie Melua album.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:22 pm

And therein lies the difference in our opinions. I do not see using allofmp3.com as stealing. In MY opinion it is a legal service. In your opinion it is an illegal service. Lets just agree to disagree on that one, and please excuse me while I go download the new Katie Melua album.
Why do you think it's legal? I'm really curious, but you seem unwilling or unable to answer that question. Because you want it to be?
Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I would just wonder how secure my data is when I do it. (In fairness, I've never read or heard about them doing anything improper.)
If you're that concerned, you could use a virtual credit card number offered by Citibank/Discover Card. And to up it even further, you can buy a gift card through XRost and use PayPal (without logging into your account) to complete the transaction.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:58 pm

Why do you think it's legal? I'm really curious, but you seem unwilling or unable to answer that question. Because you want it to be?
There own prosecutors do not think the site is violating any laws.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4328269.stm

'Legal okay' for Russian MP3 site

A Russian website offering MP3 tracks for sale has been cleared of breaching copyright laws, say reports.
Last month the International Federation of the Phonographic Industries (IFPI) urged Russian authorities to take action against AllofMP3.com.

But Moscow prosecutors will not take legal action because Russian copyright laws do not cover digital media, according to news agency Tass.

The IFPI said it would fight the ruling if the Tass report was correct.

In a posting on its website AllofMP3 said the service was legal and that it was licensed to sell the MP3 tracks by the Russian Multimedia and Internet Society.

But the IFPI said the site was "unlicensed to distribute our members' repertoire inside Russia and in all major markets".

According to Tass, prosecutors had decided not to pursue with legal action because Russian copyright laws only cover physical media such as CDs or DVDs and not digital files such as MP3s.

"We have received no confirmation of any decision and we do not expect it for some time," a spokeswoman for the IFPI said.

"However if it is true that the prosecutor has not taken the case this would be very disappointing considering the blatant and large-scale infringement that continues to take place.

"If these reports are confirmed we will take the case further."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.