International Laptop NET Access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2003, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)

This is probably a dumb question, but here goes.
I finally will be dragging a laptop with me to places like HKG, BKK, SIN, etc. For US use, when there is no WiFi or high speed access in the hotels I am in, I simply fall back on my old AOL accout, where they seem to have plenty of "free" access numbers everywhere at dial-up speeds.
In planning for Asia, I notice that using an AOL number usually means a $4-6 per hour extra charge.
So the is there an alternative to avoid this when I am not able to get to a WiFi or high spped connection for a daily fee in my hotel?
Thanks
Ed
Old Dec 27, 2003, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$4-$6 an hour isn't bad actually, many other providers like ipass charge more...
Old Dec 27, 2003, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
This comes to about 8-11 cents a minute, which isn't bad. Do you just use access for email or for web?

An alternative is to use web based email at a net cafe (always cheaper than ipass), Bear the cost of Ipass or use a wireless email device like a blackberry (not cheap either but only billed for roaming data sent/recieved not daily power on time)
Old Dec 27, 2003, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
In the past I used a GRIC or iPass affiliated ISP. Overseas though you'll be dealing with unreliable connection and unpredictable speed. You end up spending way too much time troubleshooting. I gave up and now just spend a few minutes a day at a nearby Internet cafe. There's plenty of them in the cities that you mentioned.

Besides, Wi-Fi is already ubiquitous in the cities you're visiting so I doubt you'll ever even need to visit an Internet cafe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.