Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Prepaid SIM for Switzerland and Italy - Buy in Amsterdam?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

I have an upcoming trip to Switzerland and Italy and am looking for comments on a plan I have regarding prepaid SIMs.

Normally, I would just pick up a SIM upon arrival in Zurich, but since Switzerland isn't in the EU, they are not subject to the new EU rules regarding SIM roaming. I'd rather not buy a SIM in Switzerland and then another in Italy since I'll be staying near the border and probably will be crossing back and forth several times each day.

I'll be entering the EU via Amsterdam and noticed that Vodafone NL includes Switzerland in their EU roaming rate (according to http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Netherlands). They sell SIMs with 1-3GB of data for 10-20€. My thinking is to buy one of their SIMs at Schiphol, activate it, and then use it for the entire trip.

Does this sound like a reasonable idea? It sounds like the easiest solution.

Does anyone know if any of the shops post-security at Schiphol sell the Vodafone SIMs? I've read that it's available at shops in the baggage hall, but I'd prefer to not have to go there and then re-clear security just to get the SIMs (although it probably would be doable with my 3 hour layover.)

Thanks!
DB
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Sounds good on paper.

You may want to check the coverage maps for Vodafone in the areas where you're going, especially mountainous areas away from decent sized cities.

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com

Check each country, then Vodafone. There should be links to coverage maps for each Vodafone subsidiary in each country.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: most of them
or maybe consider something like Flexiroam

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.