Wiki Posts
Search

T-Mobile iPhone Unlock Methodology

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
T-Mobile iPhone Unlock Methodology

I purchased two iPhone 7+'s during the special that T-Mobile ran earlier this year for porting a number to their service. At this point, I meet all the requirements for unlocking the devices so no problems there.

My question is more around the methodology for the actually unlocking. TM support lists two methods:

1) Put a non-TM SIM in the iPhone or...

2) Erase all settings and restore from back-up, connect to iTunes, etc.

I've done method #2 many times in the past and though it works its a bit of pain as I have several corporate business apps for work that for security reasons won't restore and have to be completely re-setup, configured, etc.

I'm curious if anyone has experience with Method #1 ? I still have my old AT&T SIM, which seems to meet the "non-TM SIM" criteria. However, obviously, I'm staying on TM but just want to go ahead and unlock the phones while I'm thinking about it.

Is this as simple as just taking the TM SIM out, putting the AT&T SIM for a few minutes, then switching back to the TM SIM and not having lost anything or needing to restore from a back-up?

Also, curious if there is any way to verify the phone is unlocked after executing method #1 . When I've done method #2 it does indeed pop up a "Success" message in iTunes after the phone is unlocked, but unclear how to determine success of the procedure in method #1 .

Any direct insight or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Source:
https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-32271

Regards
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
I'd go for option #1 . No need to restore in iTunes. Putting your AT&T Sim in should work just fine, you'd know right away if you're unlocked. Make sure you're on wifi.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:18 pm

[QUOTE=scubadu;28665386]
Also, curious if there is any way to verify the phone is unlocked after executing method #1 . When I've done method #2 it does indeed pop up a "Success" message in iTunes after the phone is unlocked, but unclear how to determine success of the procedure in method #1 .
[/url]

/QUOTE]

The verification is easy. If it is unlocked, you will see AT&T shows up on the top of the phone status bar. You will also see a popup window asking you to download carrier settings on the iPhone.

I have actually never done #1 either. I used to always do the backup/restore thing on iPhones.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I've unlocked 2 iPhones using method #1 . Power down, do the SIM switcheroo, then power back up.

If your AT&T service has been inactive for a long time (an indeterminate period of time which I won't attempt to quantify) you may see "no service" instead of "AT&T" but if you can get that far then your phone is unlocked.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:42 am

If a non T-Mobile sim displays a carrier name in the upper left Status Bar, your phone is unlocked. You can verify this in the Settings-General-About and look for what Network is displayed. Also, you should see what Carrier configuration is present a few lines down.

It has never been a requirement to go through a Restore in iTunes for a carrier unlock to work. The unlock is approved by T-Mobile, but actually performed by Apple and sent to your phone via their servers. A simple reboot will enable the phone to accept the unlock from Apple over cellular or WiFi. It is permanent.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

iOS SIM locking is all handled on the back end. If you put a SIM from a new provider in the phone, it will "phone home" to Apple to find out if it should take the new SIM.

If the phone is locked, it will display an "Invalid SIM" or "Incorrect SIM" message. If it displays anything else, it's unlocked.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:29 pm

I remember that when you unlock iPhones years ago.. back in the days of iPhone 3G or 4.. maybe even 5... there was only the backup and restore method. I think the put another sim in method was new. Because the whole point of unlocking the phone was to use another sim.. so why would anyone use the backup and restore method?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:12 pm

Request the iPhone unlock from T Mobile. After receiving a confirmation email from T Mobile, sync the iPhone with iTunes and the iPhone will unlock. No code or SIM card is required to unlock an iPhone since the request is sent from the provider to Apple.

To test before a trip out of the country, try another GSM provider SIM card from AT&T or any AT&T GSM prepaid provider. Verizon or Sprint SIM cards will not work since the T Mobile iPhone 7 uses the Intel modem and not the Qualcom CDMA modem unless you purchased from Best Buy or another retailer who only stocked the Qualcom iPhone 7.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Can't you just check websites with your IMEI number to verify if it's unlocked?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Thanks to all that have posted. I have AT&T SIMs that are perhaps 5-6 months old, so I popped those in and rebooted. I did NOT receive an "Incorrect SIM" or "Invalid SIM" message, but I also didn't connect to an AT&T tower as I assume perhaps the SIMs are deactivated or expired. So, at this point, I hope I'm unlocked, but also not really sure. I supposed there is something to be said for the backup/restore method which does pop a screen up in iTunes that unequivocally tells you the phone is unlocked.

I do find the varying recommendations in this thread kind of fascinating. I don't have enough subject matter expertise in this area to debate any of the advice, but I'm a bit perplexed why T-Mobile would explicitly state on both their support website, and in the actual unlock email they send you, that you need to use one of the two methods I mentioned in my post.

If neither of the two methods they tell customers to use is actually required, and one can just "reboot the phone" or "sync with iTunes" it seems it would be in T-Mobile's interest to provide the simplest method which would likely generate less technical support calls, etc.

Regards
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu

I do find the varying recommendations in this thread kind of fascinating. I don't have enough subject matter expertise in this area to debate any of the advice, but I'm a bit perplexed why T-Mobile would explicitly state on both their support website, and in the actual unlock email they send you, that you need to use one of the two methods I mentioned in my post.

If neither of the two methods they tell customers to use is actually required, and one can just "reboot the phone" or "sync with iTunes" it seems it would be in T-Mobile's interest to provide the simplest method which would likely generate less technical support calls, etc.

Regards
It's not really T-mobile, it is Apple. The same 2 methods are offered from AT&T iPhone unlock too.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Thanks to all that have posted. I have AT&T SIMs that are perhaps 5-6 months old, so I popped those in and rebooted. I did NOT receive an "Incorrect SIM" or "Invalid SIM" message, but I also didn't connect to an AT&T tower as I assume perhaps the SIMs are deactivated or expired. So, at this point, I hope I'm unlocked, but also not really sure. I supposed there is something to be said for the backup/restore method which does pop a screen up in iTunes that unequivocally tells you the phone is unlocked.

Regards

Originally Posted by Need
It's not really T-mobile, it is Apple. The same 2 methods are offered from AT&T iPhone unlock too.

Correct. T-Mobile or AT&T notifies Apple the iPhone can be unlocked. There are no codes to enter to unlock the iPhone. I have unlocked several iPhones by synching with iTunes without deleting and restoring from backup. The restore maybe the worst case scenario.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.