Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

iOS RSS/Feed Reader with Push Notifications?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond

There are a couple of blogs I'd like to be notified about even when I'm traveling.
Can somebody recommend an RSS/feed reader app with push notifications for iOS?

Unfortunately, many apps seem to geared towards news reading, where it doesn't really matter if you miss one or two articles.

People seem to recommend Feedly, but it doesn't support push notifications.
I'm now Tickers, but it was really difficult to set up (I need to create my own feed for other people to subscribe to?!) and about 1/4 of the screen width goes unused. Not so great.

All I want is an email-like view, where I can see the subject lines of articles, as well as push notifications.
Any suggestions?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:34 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

I have consulted with Moderator2, one of the Travel Technology moderators. We are in agreement that this topic is a better fit for that forum, so I'll move it over there.

TWA884
Travel Tools moderator
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:02 pm
jg3

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Choice PLT, UA Gold.
try https://newsblur.com/ , they have an ios app, and see to support what you're looking for.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott LTT + Ambassador
if you set up Feedly with IFTTT integration you can get custom push notifications for whatever you want. very easy. Feedly is the best RSS reader by far which is why you likely have many recommendations for it. I've been using it since Google shut down Reader.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:11 pm

Flipboard is the app that I use. (You can also read your feeds on their website.) Flipboard does "convert" your RSS feeds into a magazine style layout but you can import recommended feeds, social media feeds and RSS feeds. The app also has push notifications for updates to all of your "magazines" or whichever ines you select.

I like Flipboard but I also know there are many who don't like it. YMMV
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by fmastr
if you set up Feedly with IFTTT integration you can get custom push notifications for whatever you want. very easy. Feedly is the best RSS reader by far which is why you likely have many recommendations for it. I've been using it since Google shut down Reader.
Nice. I hadn't heard about IFTTT before, sounds interesting.
At the same time, it sounds like overkill for this concrete task, though.
I mean, seriously, all I want is an email-like view for a handfull of RSS feeds, and push notifications as soon as there's something new. Shouldn't be so hard to do...
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HockeyCoachBen
Flipboard is the app that I use. (You can also read your feeds on their website.) Flipboard does "convert" your RSS feeds into a magazine style layout but you can import recommended feeds, social media feeds and RSS feeds. The app also has push notifications for updates to all of your "magazines" or whichever ines you select.

I like Flipboard but I also know there are many who don't like it. YMMV
Unfortunately, most RSS apps out there seem to do some sort of magic like this. I don't want any of it. All I want is a simple list of subject lines. It doesn't even need to be formatted nicely, just plain text! It really puzzles me that it seems like there is no such app...
Old May 21, 2020, 9:37 pm

I have search on the internet for so many apps for rss with push notifications for iphone, i have spent my money trying a lot of applications and all of them only have "background refresh notifications" the only one that i found that has REAL push notifications (not background refresh) is the app "Simple RSS Push+" is the only one with true push notifications and is only one pay (not monthly or anual subscription). You can find it on the Apple AppStore Thanks and Good Luck!
Old May 22, 2020, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks. You’re not the developer by any chance? ;-)
Plucasa likes this.
Old May 22, 2020, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Thanks. You’re not the developer by any chance? ;-)
Hahahahaha No, i’m not the developer my friend, but i know the developer (via email only) his name is Alex, i know him because when de app has any problem which is very rare, he always help me to fix the app very quickly. I’m only recommending the app cause i have spent so many money trying a lot of apps saying they have push notifications and thats not true, an i don’t want you pass over the same situation. Greetings!
Old May 22, 2020, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I might give it a try. Right now I'm quite happy with Newsify again, but it's background refresh only. Other people use IFTTT for push notifications.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.