Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Any long term expiration (credit & sim) with normal US number?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 12:21 am
Original Poster

I am experiencing some issues with my Piranha so I shipped it back for a check and was wondering if there is any roaming sim card with US number and a similar to Piranha expiration policy.
Thanks
Old May 23, 2017, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I'm bumping this because I would love to know the answer. I visit the US every other month and would like to maintain a local number but a normal contract is absurdly expensive and the PAYG options don't work either.
Old May 23, 2017, 5:30 pm

Take a look at H2o payg ($10/90 days) and Lycamobile payg (active every 90day, but no data)
​​​​
other option is to give out your Google voice number (same number), use a new prepaid number Everytime you are stateside (forward gvoice to new prepaid number, get text via Hangouts/whatever the new app for gvoice)
Old May 24, 2017, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Thanks
Old May 25, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Freedompop is another MNVO - it's possible to maintain a "free" monthly plan, with allowance of small # of airtime minutes, texting and up to 200 MB of 4G/LTE data - a 3-in-one Sim. Must switch to the free plan after 1st. month's premium plan with the bonus on a trial basis, billed to credit card.

Anyone using it or tried it with feedback and review - this could be a solution; and, or possibly combine it with a Google Voice # and oversea numbers in a call forwarding or ring all handset setup.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:45 am

With Piranha, have you noticed that you can change US roaming profiles between TMobile and ATT on your customer panel? I was going to suggest that you consider Truphone, but I read your comments about them on prepaidgsm.net where I am just "Stu." I have a Toggle Mobile SIM card and I pay $6 a year for a permanent US number. It gives you free inbound calls on your US number in many places in Europe.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Uhm, so far Piranha beats all! It seems the best option for me will be to wait for their reply hoping they will fix the problem. Thanks a lot to everyone.
Old May 29, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
I use pageplus and their $80/year pay-as-you go plan (which translates into $6,67 per month). The $80 refills have a one-year expiration, and I`ve never been able to use up all the balance before needing to renew.

Advantages: They're a Verizon MVNO, and Verizon has the best network coverage in the US (primary reason for me to go with them - the only network available at one place I frequently visit is VZW)

Disadvantage: This plan only works with 3G CDMA phones, which limits you to older devices. It's not just a SIM card you can pop into your phone. You need to carry two phones for worldwide coverage, and unless you set up call forwarding when leaving the country, cannot be reached outside of the US.
Also, they were bought out by America Movil, and customer service has deteriorated massively, as has the dealer network.
Old May 31, 2017, 4:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Mobal never expires but it's a UK number. Use VoIP to redirect if you are so worried about UK numbers?
Old May 31, 2017, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Are you replying to me? I am not scared of UK numbers (hoping the number they provide is a normal one and NOT a Jersey or Man number) but of Mobal's rates which to me seem pretty high even for incoming calls.
Old May 31, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
I have a t-mobile sim on prepay. When I'm in the US I bump it to either the 4GB or 6GB plan; when I'm home I push it back to the $5 a month default "plan". It's worth it for me to spend $5 a month to keep the number and get access to the data.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
It depends on usage: I never use the Mobal SIM It's for emergencies: it's kept in a Neptune Pine which is always charged and never muted and extremely few people know the number so they can call me no matter where I am and wake me up if necessary (since it's a Pine, I can wear it when in the gym -- everyone is very amused at the size of that thing ).
Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:20 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by bhomburg
I use pageplus and their $80/year pay-as-you go plan (which translates into $6,67 per month). The $80 refills have a one-year expiration, and I`ve never been able to use up all the balance before needing to renew..
Update: Switched to Red Pocket's $60 annual plan. Available on all of the 4 US networks. This is a basic plan not geared at visitors but at low-usage customers, but has been working well for me so far. I was happy with pageplus, but it stopped working for me in the wake of VZW retiring its legacy CDMA network last year. I used this to get rid of the second phone altogether and use the redpocket SIM in my Dual-SIM Blackberry.
Disadvantage: It includes only limited amounts of voice & data (100 mins/texts/ 100 MB of data per month) and there's no rollover. 100 MB data is not really a lot these days, and add-ons are expensive ($15 per GB) and don't roll over as well.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 11:30 am

Mint Mobile uses the T Mobile network. The prepaid 360 days 3GB unlimited talk and text plan is $180. Same data, talk and text is $45 for 30 days.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 6:47 am

If you have a phone compatible with Sprint, what about TexNow’s free (add supported) voice/text number on the Sprint network. Get a cheap used Sprint phone and the DYI SIM kit. Activate it and park it. Use the TextNow app. When you are back in the US, use it as your US phone but otherwise use it through the app.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.