Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Has anyone here tried these noise isolating custom over-the-ear headphones on planes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone here tried these noise isolating custom over-the-ear headphones on planes?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

supposedly they took the Sony 7506 headphones and turned them into noise isolating/blocking headphones, without any active noise cancellation. they claim 40dB attenuation with a hard outer shell that's filled with gel or some kind of fluid.

"Remote Audio HN-7506 High Noise Isolating Headphones with Sony MDR-7506 Drivers and Custom Baffling"
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Isolating.html
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
40 dB of attenuation in the voice range
Intersting, if you're trying to filter out voices. I'd rather see a true NRR rating to be comperable.

I have worn my various earphones (Shure, VSonic, Ety over the years) under a set of PlaneQuiet NC muffs. For me, the minor improvement in isolation wasn't worth carrying around the extra bulk of muffs, when I can throw the 'phones in my bag.

If you're looking for this configuration, it might be better than Bose, which has never impressed me with sound quality. Then again, the stock 7506 isn't known to be outstanding either.

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 19, 2017 at 1:10 pm
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich
Intersting, if you're trying to filter out voices. I'd rather see a true NRR rating to be comperable.

I have worn my various earphones (Shure, VSonic, Ety over the years) under a set of PlaneQuiet NC muffs. For me, the minor improvement in isolation wasn't worth carrying around the extra bulk of muffs, when I can throw the 'phones in my bag.

If you're looking for this configuration, it might be better than Bose, which has never impressed me with sound quality. Then again, the stock 7506 isn't known to be outstanding either.
not "0 dB" in the voice range... that would make these headphones be worth $0.

the specs show "40 dB of attenuation in the voice range"

sounds like it's perfect for perfect for filtering out in-laws, wives, etc....

yes, I agree, the 7506s, while decent, don't excite me much... now, if they put in Sony MDR-7520 drivers, I'm sold.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: WN A-List
Those look like the headsets I wore when I was learning to fly small, noisy single engine aircraft. I think that headsets with some sort of active noise cancellation would work fine and be far less bulky and confining. I have a set of Bose QuietComfort 20i earphones coming that I hope will block out the drone of the egine/wind noise on commercial flights.

Last edited by Dunbar; Apr 18, 2017 at 3:20 pm
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dunbar
Those look like the headsets I wore when I was learning to flying small, noisy single engine aircraft. I think that some headsets sort of active noise cancellation would work fine and be far less bulky and confining. I have a set of Bose QuietComfort 20i earphones coming that I hope will block out the drone of the egine/wind noise on commercial flights.
I recently tried the Bose QC35 for a couple of weeks. They still "suffer" from the low sound quality. Unsurprisingly, they were excellent at drowning out the engine noise from the plane.(sitting just ahead of the wing, in the last row of business class) Unfortunately, they don't work very well to muffle the two women directly ahead of me who were chit-chatting almost nonstop for 7 hours during the night flight. I ended up pulling out the foam earplugs that I carry and them put the Bose QC35 over my ears. That did the trick and I managed to fall asleep. That's the reason I was looking at the headphones that I link to in post #1 . They claim 40dB attenuation for voice... I plan to order them just before my next long haul flight and try them out.(first week of May) Perhaps I should order the QC35 again and do a side-by-side comparison between the two on the flight.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: WN A-List
Not surprising that a 'can' style headphone like the QC35 doesn't block much ambient noise. The Bose 20i's are a combination of an in-ear headphone with active noise cancellation. In my experience in-ear headphones work better to block ambient noise. I used some Shure UM2's for a long time with replaceable foam plugs, and, with some music playing on low it drowned out the sound of human voices (or crying babies) enough that I didn't notice them. Many in-ear headphones also offer the option of custom molded ear pieces which can help to get a more consistent experience. The foam plugs work well but they need to be replaced frequently to get the best results.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Yes indeed, they look like a copy of the David Clarke DC13.4 with gel seals, as used on small General Aviation airplanes. I own 2 of them and they are great headsets.... Even the phono connector is the wrong size for passenger use. Excellent headsets when flying a GA plane, but they are waay to big and heavy to lug about on travel....
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by timfountain
..... they are waay to big and heavy to lug about on travel....
people lug weird stuff when they travel... just last week, a 50-ish man in expensive impeccable business suit($5000+?), was sitting across from me at UA Club. You would expect someone like that to pull out a big iPad or a super thin laptop. Nope... he took out a 17-inch gaming laptop in red. When I walked past him, I noticed that he was playing... drum roll please... classic SOLITAIRE!!! Worse yet, I could see that the keyboard had very colorful backlights!(all the colors of the rainwo)
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by ShutteLag
not "0 dB" in the voice range... that would make these headphones be worth $0.

the specs show "40 dB of attenuation in the voice range"
I corrected the inadvertent cut, but that doesn't change the message. True 30NRR muffs and plugs are well over 40dB at specific frequencies that are easy to filter out. That's what NRR is for - it prevents advertising based on one small frequency notch for an otherwise not-very-good hearing protection device. If you're OK being on a plane and hearing nearly all of the engine hum and other low frequencies that are actually hard to filter, and just not hear the FA talk to you, which is easy to filter, then perhaps these fit.

I prefer knowing the true full-range NR capabilities before buying in. These filter voices. Bose focuses on the low frequency of planes (they also won't publish an NRR). I use my 31NRR Ety-4's, or put in 33NRR Leight Max's so it all goes away.

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 19, 2017 at 1:19 pm
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I would only be worried about size and weight. Doesn't look travel sized to me otherwise really interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.