Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

does anyone carry their smartphone without a lock screen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

does anyone carry their smartphone without a lock screen?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Speaking of bluetooth, I got to looking at the Smart Lock some more.

It's trusted location isn't accurate enough for my tastes. At home, bluetooth is short enough ranged to be fine--but there's nothing suitable to pair it with. I'm wondering if there exists a very simple little device you plug in somewhere that's a useless bluetooth--just to provide something to pair with. Unfortunately, it won't use my Wi-Fi as a trusted location sensor.

I also wish it had the concept of a trusted device--always go into file transfer mode when plugged into my computer.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by WIRunner
I think that it is an android thing. I believe it uses the Bluetooth LE spec to do this so that it locks if the device goes too far from the BT item. I use it with my car so I don't have to fumble around trying to unlock it.
Yeah someone else told me today that it was an Android thing which strangely I'd never noticed on other Android phones I owned.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
At home, bluetooth is short enough ranged to be fine--but there's nothing suitable to pair it with. I'm wondering if there exists a very simple little device you plug in somewhere that's a useless bluetooth--just to provide something to pair with.
Yup! Such things exist. If you have a computer you leave on -- home server, desktop, raspberry pi, the easiest and cheapest way would be to just get a USB bluetooth radio for the PC. They're well under $10... or if you have an old laptop you don't mind leaving on, you don't even need to do that much.

Don't want to leave a PC on? Tons of inexpensive Bluetooth speakers which work for that, also let you play music, and work as a speakerphone. Or there are similar gizmos that convert a BT audio signal to RCA cables for use with your stereo... (although these don't generally work as a speakerphone.)

Can also pair to another phone or tablet you leave at home. Or a bluetooth keyboard/mouse.

I am not certain whether it works with Bluetooth-low-energy beacons, but have been meaning to try playing with those for other reasons and may pick one up to try. They're no cheaper than the other options (still $20-ish) and don't actually do anything, but they use very, very little electricity.

There are also some Bluetooth-low energy home automation devices (e.g. Kevo locks) where I wonder if they'd work for proximity for smart lock.

I also wish it had the concept of a trusted device--always go into file transfer mode when plugged into my computer.
It's got that for ADB (developer) connections. Might be in some third party ROMs for MTP/file transfer.

Last edited by nkedel; Jun 23, 2017 at 11:01 pm
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nkedel
I am not certain whether it works with Bluetooth-low-energy beacons, but have been meaning to try playing with those for other reasons and may pick one up to try. They're no cheaper than the other options (still $20-ish) and don't actually do anything, but they use very, very little electricity.
That's the sort of thing I had in mind.

It's got that for ADB (developer) connections. Might be in some third party ROMs for MTP/file transfer.
My phone is in developer mode anyway (I write code for a living and recently decided to start looking at Android programming) although I haven't played with the capabilities much at all yet. It doesn't seem to change the file transfer status.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yup! Such things exist. If you have a computer you leave on -- home server, desktop, raspberry pi, the easiest and cheapest way would be to just get a USB bluetooth radio for the PC. They're well under $10... or if you have an old laptop you don't mind leaving on, you don't even need to do that much.

Don't want to leave a PC on? Tons of inexpensive Bluetooth speakers which work for that, also let you play music, and work as a speakerphone. Or there are similar gizmos that convert a BT audio signal to RCA cables for use with your stereo... (although these don't generally work as a speakerphone.)

Can also pair to another phone or tablet you leave at home. Or a bluetooth keyboard/mouse.

There are also some Bluetooth-low energy home automation devices (e.g. Kevo locks) where I wonder if they'd work for proximity for smart lock.

Beacons use the low energy protocol. Smart Lock doesn't like that. Curses!
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Beacons use the low energy protocol. Smart Lock doesn't like that. Curses!
Interesting. I knew they used the low-energy protocol; I did not know that Smart Lock couldn't. Seems like it's ideal for that (checking for proximity.) Pairing with a USB bluetooth on your desktop, or a bluetooth speakerphone, would still work.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. I knew they used the low-energy protocol; I did not know that Smart Lock couldn't. Seems like it's ideal for that (checking for proximity.) Pairing with a USB bluetooth on your desktop, or a bluetooth speakerphone, would still work.
I found a Bluetooth USB adapter around. Smart Lock couldn't see it, either.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I found a Bluetooth USB adapter around. Smart Lock couldn't see it, either.
Did you actually pair the machine it was plugged into with the phone? Smart lock on my Nexus 6 definitely works once paired with my laptop.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you actually pair the machine it was plugged into with the phone? Smart lock on my Nexus 6 definitely works once paired with my laptop.
It didn't occur to me to try. I'll put it back in and see what happens. That's not a total answer, though, because if I get it to work I'll probably need another one at a location where there's a USB charger but no computer.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It didn't occur to me to try. I'll put it back in and see what happens. That's not a total answer, though, because if I get it to work I'll probably need another one at a location where there's a USB charger but no computer.
Raspberry Pi Zero-W? A little pricier than a USB dongle, but not much. Setting it up to pair requires a screen and keyboard (and a bit of Linux) but after that should be able to run anywhere there's USB power.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Followup--it only works so long as there's an active link. Said link breaks when the phone moves away from the computer and when it comes back there's nothing it actually needs the link for so it's not re-established.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Followup--it only works so long as there's an active link. Said link breaks when the phone moves away from the computer and when it comes back there's nothing it actually needs the link for so it's not re-established.
Ah, bummer. So no autopairing like a headset.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:34 pm

When travelling with my family and using the 'Mobile Passport' app, I go one step further and enable Guided Access on my iPhone when going through CBP. This way even if they trick me into handing over my unlocked iPhone - it won't do them much good!
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
When travelling with my family and using the 'Mobile Passport' app, I go one step further and enable Guided Access on my iPhone when going through CBP. This way even if they trick me into handing over my unlocked iPhone - it won't do them much good!
The screen pinning feature on Android is also very handy for that (and for loaning your phone to acquaintances or children.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.