Reload this Page >

Hackers Steal Private Data from Public Charging Stations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:55 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: oneword Emerald

‘Juice-jacking:’ how hackers steal your private data from public charging stations

All it takes is one easily disguised charging kiosk, or even a power strip, for hackers to hijack your charge, and once you’re juice-jacked, there’s little that can be done to stop it; from installing malware onto your device, to sucking out personal messages, photos and information - all for the simple cost of offering sweet-relief and a fully-powered phone.
Beware of Juice-Jacking

The safest route for charging your device on-the-go is to use the supplied power cord that plugs into a regular electrical outlet (assuming you can find an available outlet). Battery-powered mobile charging devices also work well in a pinch and are available at many airports. If you must use a random charging kiosk, the safest option may be to completely power off the device before plugging it in.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or use a cable or adapter that only passes through the power, not the data.

It certainly is an issue otherwise. Some days ago I was out, a friend of my wife's came over and her phone was whining about a low battery.

I come home to find an iPhone laying on my desk, a wire heading off to a hub. I also find that charging the phone caused iTunes to launch and show me stuff from the phone. (The screen was no doubt blanked when she plugged it in, she would not have been aware of iTunes launching.)
Old Feb 23, 2017, 5:21 pm

Another suggestion is to use a USB condom (don't laugh). It makes a USB cable effectively just a charge cable. Small, light and don't take up a lot of space in my travel pack. However, my preference is a power bank. Then I'm not tied to one spot while doing other things. The only catch is that it takes much longer to recharge the bank than the phone itself.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Honestly, I try to avoid public "anything" stations.

Regards
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Another suggestion is to use a USB condom (don't laugh). It makes a USB cable effectively just a charge cable. Small, light and don't take up a lot of space in my travel pack. However, my preference is a power bank. Then I'm not tied to one spot while doing other things. The only catch is that it takes much longer to recharge the bank than the phone itself.
I never heard them called that but there's one in my bag in case I need it.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Recent versions of Android avoid this by defaulting to a 'charge only' mode. You need to unlock the device and select to change the mode (each and every time, at least by default) before it shows up as something more than a charging device.

This isn't anything new - in fact the Krebs article you linked to is from 2011.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:02 am

@docbert beat me to it -- not sure what it's like over in AppleLand, but Android is charge-only until you unlock your phone and select which mode to use.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
In Appleland, when you connect your phone via USB it asks you if you want to allow the device to access your phone. Happens every time when I plug in my phone to the USB slot onboard an aircraft.

If you say no, then it charges only.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
In Appleland, when you connect your phone via USB it asks you if you want to allow the device to access your phone. Happens every time when I plug in my phone to the USB slot onboard an aircraft.

If you say no, then it charges only.
"Do you trust this computer?"

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202778

Loren, somebody said "yes" or it had been plugged into that computer and trusted previously. So getting people to answer correctly may be another issue, I suppose.

-David
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
"Do you trust this computer?"

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202778

Loren, somebody said "yes" or it had been plugged into that computer and trusted previously. So getting people to answer correctly may be another issue, I suppose.

-David
I can't imagine why she would have answered it at all, she was simply charging. It hasn't been plugged in here before.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
I like these USB condoms. I keep one w/ a cable tie and key ring attached to each of my travel Lightning cables. Plus it often can speed up the charge.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Electroni...CKYRF0B5QV71JZ
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
When CSI: Cyber was still on TV a year or 2 ago, they actually had an episode that was about juice jacking. Didn't even know about the concept until I saw this episode.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.