Skyroam or unlocked Mifi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skyroam or unlocked Mifi

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
The example you gave is Italy. If you are truly going to Italy you could use the day pass, and 5 devices can tether to the skyroam. If you are like me going to Oman or a place where the day pass doesn't work, I will get a data sim to tether to.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I doubt the device would respect it but I can't speak for the carrier. If I stick my ATT global unlimited datacard into a hotspot device ATT would be breathing down my throat. It doesn't take a genius to realize that an iOS device shouldn't be connecting to Windows update service.
So what SIM cards *are* ok to put in the device then? I guess that's what I'm confused about...
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:01 pm

If your cellular provider says that you shouldn't tether with your SIM card, you shouldn't do an end run around that by putting the SIM in a hotspot. Whether they detect or enforce that depends on the carrier. Many carriers don't as long as you have the correct access point entered, some do. I have unlimited data world wide on my iPhone. ATT isn't going to look kindly on me if I go stick that SIM into a hotspot and stream a 4K movie from a laptop while roaming in Russia.

Many of us have occasionally cheated on these rules, but you are having to be careful. If your carrier charges you by the megabyte, they probably won't care. In the US, ATT looks harder than TMobile does. In Canada, I used to have a Telus tablet SIM in a hotspot and they could care less.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Boostedtaco
I found this listing of countries that they support. Not sure if's the ones you're looking for.

No problem! Whoops i forgot that.
If those are Glocalme, SkyRoam is:

The Americas
Antigua & Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Barbados, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Curacao, El Salvador, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Mexico, Montserrat, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, Saipan, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos Island, United States, Venezuela

Europe
Albania, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Vatican City

Asia
Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kazakhstan, Laos, Macao, Malaysia, Philippines, South Korea, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Uzbekistan, Vietnam

South Pacific
Australia, Christmas Island, Fiji, Guam, New Zealand

Africa
Egypt, Kenya, South Africa

Middle East
Israel, Qatar, Turkey

"Unlimited" doesn't mean "unthrottled". SkyRoam allows up to 500 MB at normal speed in one pass-day, but then throttles back to slower speeds. As stated in a PC Magazine article, "you get 500MB of 4G data per day, with unlimited 2.5G speeds after that. Those 2.5G speeds are about the same as you get with T- Mobile's unlimited international data plan."
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by miikka
I have been traveling with Goodspeed - 4G MiFi with 9 slots for SIM cards but typically the SIM cards are sourced through them (there are options to use own SIM cards as well).

Have you continued to use Goodspeed? Would you (or anyone) give us
a fresh user report?

Thx
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by bukzin
Have you continued to use Goodspeed? Would you (or anyone) give us a fresh user report?
In European Union area I have reduced the amount of Goodspeed usage after the new roaming rules came, easier to just use roaming if you have already a EU subscription.

Elsewhere, I have continued the usage. They have had regional challenges in some areas (related to one specific operator providing one of the SIM cards) which affected the usage in multiple countries and I think they also had something happening with China but otherwise it is typically rather rock solid.

Naturally it always depends on the local network conditions and if the SIM card is also roaming and providing the service that way then there are two operators involved so overall situation might be complex if you encounter problems. Goodspeed customer support is rather quick on resolving and jumping to solutions but also ensure the customer satisfaction.

One topic to be cautious, depending on the plan, the daily package might not be renewing multiple times but only for example one time - this might limit the total amount of data per day significantly. They have also more expensive option where you can enable unlimited renewals in the countries which support it.

Some time last year they reduced the default package size so in some countries it might now be rather small and it is good to calculate the benefit. I typically use something between 1-4 GB per day so I trust very much on these type of devices.

I have tried to look for alternatives but haven't found the perfect one yet - Goodspeed has been keeping up with my travels and gets out of the luggage everywhere where I go (including transits).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.