Transferring content to new iPad

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool Transferring content to new iPad

Hey guys,

My old iPad had simply gotten too slow with all of the forced iOS "upgrades" so I got a new iPad Air2 - found a good price last week.

One of the known hassles is that any book in iBooks that wasn't purchased from Apple doesn't transfer when using iTunes. Even the ones I bought from Apple didn't make the move.

I tried out the trial of iMobie AnyTrans which allowed me to move 50 books, and it worked well. I'm not all that excited about paying $40 for the full version for a one time transfer, though, so I was wondering if anyone knows another way to transfer books and some older apps which I now can't download anymore. Googling hasn't yielded much in terms of other tricks. Anyone have a good, cheap method for doing this?

Thanks for any ideas!

Doc
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would have done it by backing up the old machine to a computer and then restoring that backup to a new machine.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some stores that sell iPads have services such as Geek Squad on site that should be able to do stuff like this for you if you don't mind them backing up your old device onto their computer.

Do you have any cloud storage?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Cool

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I would have done it by backing up the old machine to a computer and then restoring that backup to a new machine.
That's what iTunes purports to do, but it doesn't transfer all the content, such as non-Apple books and some apps. I got most stuff transferred but want my books and old apps, too. It's a known Apple/iTunes "screw you" to its customers, just looking for the cheapest way around it.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
That's what iTunes purports to do, but it doesn't transfer all the content, such as non-Apple books and some apps. I got most stuff transferred but want my books and old apps, too. It's a known Apple/iTunes "screw you" to its customers, just looking for the cheapest way around it.
The content that won't transfer, I make sure I have on my computer before doing anything. I agree that it's silly. Anyways, it's easy to drag and drop it back on through itunes after restoring the things it does transfer.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 8:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Cool

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
The content that won't transfer, I make sure I have on my computer before doing anything. I agree that it's silly. Anyways, it's easy to drag and drop it back on through itunes after restoring the things it does transfer.
Can you describe how to do that, or point me to a website with instructions? Maybe I just haven't searched with the right keywords, but I haven't been able to find out how.

Thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2016, 11:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Ok, so I signed up for a lottery for a giveaway of the "AnyTrans" software, and got notification I was one of the winners. Looks like I'll use that to complete my transfers.

I think I was the only entrant.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Can you describe how to do that, or point me to a website with instructions? Maybe I just haven't searched with the right keywords, but I haven't been able to find out how.

Thanks!
That's a good question. All of the stuff I have are either in cloud service (kindle, iCloud, etc...), or were items I transferred from my computer already. I never had to copy from the iPad to the computer ever. At least it worked out for you getting that app.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.