Wiki Posts
Search

New Gadget: Unlimited 4G Worldwide

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, AA LifeTime Plat, DL Plat, Amex Centurion, Hertz Plaitnum
New Gadget: Unlimited 4G Worldwide

Thought my FT friends here would appreciate this new gadget.
It's called GeeFi and it provides unlimited 4G/LTE for up to 10 devices in 100+ countries worldwide.

It's shipping soon and currently crowdfunding, which means that one can get it at a lower price than retail.

It already raised over $200,000 on Kickstarter and is now on IndieGoGo InDemand: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/g...ft/15224230/ft.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 5:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
10 bucks a day for unlimited data? Is this realistic?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 5:12 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
No, it's not.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 5:29 am

"unique patented chipset"

Yeah, this idea is very new

Quick, someone look at the coverage list and guess which provider/mvno they are partnering with. I doubt they'll be talking to networks directly. Only 40 countries on list, but they proclaim 100+ countries(I guess once they get more agreements)

Also, the lte band list isn't huge

Would they go talk to karma? http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/sprint-mvno-karma-terminates-neverstop-unlimited-service-time-we-went-too-big

Last edited by paperwastage; Oct 25, 2016 at 5:36 am
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:02 am

Unlimited is a buzz word... no one says they won't cap your speed after you hit some amount of data.
The price tag of 10$ per day is, in some countries, more than what you pay for 1 week/month of "enough" data.
Some recent examples:
Vietnam - 150,000 VND (~7 USD) gives you 3GB for 1 month
Thailand - 300 THB (~9 USD) gives you 1.5GB for 1 week
Russia - 250 RUB (~4 USD) gives you 10GB for 1 month

Of course if you sit all day watching videos on youtube it might not be enough, but with free wifi widely available I don't see a point in paying 10$ per day for internet.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
Unlimited is a buzz word... no one says they won't cap your speed after you hit some amount of data.
The price tag of 10$ per day is, in some countries, more than what you pay for 1 week/month of "enough" data.
Some recent examples:
Vietnam - 150,000 VND (~7 USD) gives you 3GB for 1 month
Thailand - 300 THB (~9 USD) gives you 1.5GB for 1 week
Russia - 250 RUB (~4 USD) gives you 10GB for 1 month

Of course if you sit all day watching videos on youtube it might not be enough, but with free wifi widely available I don't see a point in paying 10$ per day for internet.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:35 am

Free wifi is more available in some places than others. Last year in Australia I had a lovely villa where wifi didn't reach. I could get free wifi by the pool and the lobby wasn't an option as it was basically an office. I had some motions due in a court back in the US and my backup attorney didn't feel up to the job of responding to them. I learned about his melt down in my morning emails with the business day winding down in the US.

I had brought a Skyroam mobile hotspot with me and paid the $10 to get the work done at my (rented) kitchen table with my coffee, food stuff, and a wonderful view and sound of birds flying around while my wife soaked in our private hot tub hanging around to be my proof reader. Was it worth $10 when I could have sat by a pool with some screaming children hoping they didn't splash water into my laptop and put me into malpractice with the client?

These services are a great backup for those events that you didn't plan for? If you are checking into a hotel that is charging 30 euros a day for internet and you are going to be there for two weeks, go buy a local SIM card. What you need to watch out for is short expiries on these services.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:41 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
It doesn't actually mention that it will allow you to transfer data at the maximum speed that the network conditions will currently support. When I had T-Mobile with the included free international roaming, I could connect to a 4G network and my phone would show 4G, but it would be 2G speeds since that's what T-Mobile's contracts allowed.

But assuming they actually can provide unlimited data at full 4G speeds, its still a niche product. It would be $300/month if you used it every day so you'd only buy a pass when you know you're going to need to transfer a large amount of data that day so you'll still need either a local SIM, T-Mobile, Google Fi, etc, or just rely on WiFi.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chx1975
10 bucks a day for unlimited data? Is this realistic?
That's $300/month, so definitely not unrealistically cheap. I was just traveling in Croatia where I bought unlimited one week data SIMs for $12.

In Italy, the local SIMs were more expensive, so I used my GlocalMe G2 global hotspot and bought a $30 1GB/1 year worldwide data plan. I used about 500MB on that 4-day trip, so I have data left over for my next trip.

GlocalMe data plans generally cost about 5X less than the price of ATT roaming plans and about 2X more than many local SIMs, so it's often worth it for the convenience of not bothering with the local SIM purchase - especially if you're visiting several countries.

For me, the GlocalMe approach of buying a block of data which can be used over a year is a lot more appealing than paying a fixed price of $10 per day. It would be great if the vendors would make both types of plan available.

Last edited by KevinSFO; Oct 25, 2016 at 10:09 pm
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:57 am

Is the new Glocal me good with LTE frequencies? I'm looking for an LTE hotspot. I currently have Project Fi which is a great deal, but I'd love to have two solutions "under one roof."
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I had brought a Skyroam mobile hotspot with me and paid the $10 to get the work done at my (rented) kitchen table with my coffee, food stuff, and a wonderful view and sound of birds flying around while my wife soaked in our private hot tub hanging around to be my proof reader. Was it worth $10 when I could have sat by a pool with some screaming children hoping they didn't splash water into my laptop and put me into malpractice with the client?
I think you missed my point, I'm not saying you should rely on free wifi for critical needs, but for the price of less than 2 days with your mobile hotspot, you could have had free internet for a month as well as some call minutes to local numbers:
http://www.vodafone.com.au/prepaid/p...ter-pack/combo
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Is the new Glocal me good with LTE frequencies? I'm looking for an LTE hotspot. I currently have Project Fi which is a great deal, but I'd love to have two solutions "under one roof."
Here are the supported bands: LTE FDD: Band 1/3/5/7/8/17/20 LTE TDD: Band 39/40/41 WCDMA: Band 1/2/5/8 GSM: 1900/1800/900/850 MHz

I generally get an LTE connection at home in CA. On a recent trip in Italy, I had some good LTE connections in big cities, but mostly very useable 3G connections elsewhere.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
First post!

I just funded the GlocalMe U2 on Indiegogo.

I've been eyeing up their G2 on amazon for the last few weeks but the weight/size was keeping me from pulling the trigger. This new one is much lighter (slighly lighter than an iphone 6+/7+)

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/g...s/x/15317294#/

I'm hoping this doesnt turn out to vaporware since they have 2 other devices out on the market already. You can get their G2 version on Amazon.com so they are a legit company.

I also like that you can buy buckets of data and not a per day fee like skyroam (which I also looked into for a while) so you actually pay for what you use vs what dont.

2 weeks ago we were in Greece and used Xcomglobal which cost me $7.77 per day and they would turn us off after 150-200MB per day, I'd have to find free wifi and email customer service to get it turned back on (which took 12!! hours each time) so this is what caused me to start researching these.
bukzin likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 4:25 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Sounds interesting, but I had bad experiences with indiegogo and kickstarter. Funded about a dozen project. more than half never even made it to production and the rest were such a disappointment that they went to the trash.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by jason8612
Sounds interesting, but I had bad experiences with indiegogo and kickstarter. Funded about a dozen project. more than half never even made it to production and the rest were such a disappointment that they went to the trash.

Yea I've heard that before as well, This is my 1st time funding one of these types of things. I'm hoping that because they have 2 other of these types of products already on the market that they should be able to do this 3rd generation no problems. I HOPE!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.