Reload this Page >

Google Pixel Phones

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Google Pixel Phones

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Welp, I've got my Pixel XL connected to Project fi as of yesterday around noon. Thus far it looks like a nice little upgrade from the Nexus 6P. Battery seems better and it is super super fast. The camera is good as promised.

I'm going to spend the next 5 days or so playing/traveling with it before I decide to keep it or send it back. I've also got an unopened iPhone 7Plus sitting on my desk waiting in the wings as it were. I'm playing with my wife's 7P at the same time as the pixel to help me decide.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:53 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by LordHamster
Welp, I've got my Pixel XL connected to Project fi as of yesterday around noon. Thus far it looks like a nice little upgrade from the Nexus 6P. Battery seems better and it is super super fast. The camera is good as promised.

I'm going to spend the next 5 days or so playing/traveling with it before I decide to keep it or send it back. I've also got an unopened iPhone 7Plus sitting on my desk waiting in the wings as it were. I'm playing with my wife's 7P at the same time as the pixel to help me decide.
I'm already regretting that I ordered the Pixel and not the Pixel XL. And since the Pixel XL is in wait-list status, I won't be able to do an easy exchange if I find it too small. Mr. CE keeps threatening to make the switch from an iPhone if it's as good as reports claim, but he insists he wants a Really Blue one, despite those being limited edition and sold out.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I'm already regretting that I ordered the Pixel and not the Pixel XL. And since the Pixel XL is in wait-list status, I won't be able to do an easy exchange if I find it too small. Mr. CE keeps threatening to make the switch from an iPhone if it's as good as reports claim, but he insists he wants a Really Blue one, despite those being limited edition and sold out.
Interesting. This is partially why I'm holding off - I'd like to see one in a store to gauge size. The XL seems huge. I have small hands, and I'm not sure I could easily hold it in one hand. I do feel like I'm in between on the Pixel phones - I wish the regular were a bit bigger, and I wish there were a 64gb instead of just 32 and 128.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Buster
Interesting. This is partially why I'm holding off - I'd like to see one in a store to gauge size. The XL seems huge. I have small hands, and I'm not sure I could easily hold it in one hand. I do feel like I'm in between on the Pixel phones - I wish the regular were a bit bigger, and I wish there were a 64gb instead of just 32 and 128.
It's arrived!

So my perspective on size...

I've been using a Nexus 6 for the last 18 months or so. I too have relatively small hands, and I find it too big when it comes to typing (Swyping), but I did appreciate the relatively large screen size when viewing docs, images, etc. The Nexus 6 didn't easily fit in my pocket, and looks funny when you're talking on the phone.

But...for the last week I've been using my Nexus 4, because my Nexus 6 was broken. The home screen only holds 16 icons (I think, probably because it was running an earlier version of Android) and it felt really small. So I started to have doubts and wondered if I should have gone with the Pixel XL, which I believe is slightly smaller than the Nexus 6. But now that I have the Pixel in hand (for all of the last hour), my immediately reaction is that the size feels right. The home screen holds 25 icons, and while I haven't set up Swype yet, I don't think it will be a problem.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: AA, DL, BA, HH
Is the lack of water resistance a deal breaker for anyone? I remember carrying my older iPhones in a Ziplock bag with me when I knew I was going to get stuck in the rain, it always made me feel like I looked ridiculous. Also, I am bothered by the two tone back on the phone for some reason. Does anyone else have that ?

I just got a new iPhone 7, but i keep thinking about the Pixel to use with fi.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by OceanAir
Is the lack of water resistance a deal breaker for anyone? I remember carrying my older iPhones in a Ziplock bag with me when I knew I was going to get stuck in the rain, it always made me feel like I looked ridiculous. Also, I am bothered by the two tone back on the phone for some reason. Does anyone else have that ?

Some reports indicate it may be more waterproof than the rating indicates. http://www.techtimes.com/articles/18...d-in-water.htm
Old Oct 22, 2016, 5:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Is the lack of water resistance a deal breaker for anyone?
Walking into the ocean with my Samsung S7 was amusing but I've only done it once ever. Unfortunately, touch screens don't really work when your hands are wet.

I've had smartphones since the Motorola Droid and I can't say lack of water resistance has ever been an issue for me. If I needed to use it in the rain, I'd find somewhere dry.

I'm seriously considering a future Pixel phone for my next upgrade, assuming they still have a high end model and implement optical image stabilization for the camera. I don't care if there's a lens bulge or not.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by thesun
I've had smartphones since the Motorola Droid and I can't say lack of water resistance has ever been an issue for me. If I needed to use it in the rain, I'd find somewhere dry.
Right. I've never had a water resistant phone to begin with and always had a phone anyway, so i don't see the issue. I'm sure they will all ultimately be water resistant, but they aren't all there yet. In 3 years when I swap out this phone for the next, I imagine I can take a shower with it if I want
Old Oct 24, 2016, 6:15 am

Is the lack of water resistance a deal breaker for anyone?
I use my definitely-not-waterproof Nexus 5X in the rain as long as it's not really pouring, and I did the same with every phone I had before that.

If I'm going out kayaking or sailing, I put my SIM in a $30 Moto E... even if my 'real' phone were waterproof, I'm not going to the bottom of the lake to look for it.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:41 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Been playing with the new Pixel for the past few hours. I like how the home screen allows for more apps and LOVE the fingerprint sensor. What a time saver and it's placed perfectly for your index finger which basically hovers right above it when holding the phone anyway.

It's not noticeably faster than the old Nexus 5 I had. Haven't messed with the camera yet. Calls are clear and texts are quick.

Really switched to this phone for International Project Fi un-throttled speeds (T-Mo had this but throttled the speeds too low for me). Happy to pay for un-throttled speeds. Will be heading overseas in a few weeks and can see if this is going to work for me.

The size is somewhat weird. It is taller than the Nexus 5 but the screen itself is about the same size. It just adds more space above and below the screen. I assume for better photo ability and battery size. But I thought it'd be adding some screen size. Not noticeable if they did at all. Weight seems lighter than Nexus 5 slightly. Always a good thing imo. A little sleeker too. Not bad - but if you want more screen size, go XL. Personally I will stick with these 5" phones that fit in my back pocket.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 7:03 am

Has anyone found a good screen protector they like? All the one's on Amazon are glass or hard plastic and show a halo effect that is terribly pronounced on the black pixel. I'd prefer a film like I had on my Nexus 5. Due to the curved nature of the Pixel this may not be possible.

Also - has anyone had the unlucky experience of dropping their phone with the Google supplied clear Pixel case? It seems cheap-ish to me - wondering if it will stand up to a drop or if I should get a different case.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
T-Mobile is currently offering a $325 bill credit (applied over 24 months) to people that buy a Pixel and activate it on the T-Mobile One plan. There's a microsite that you'll use to provide proof of purchase.

Certainly an interesting way to get people to bring their device there.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by WIRunner
T-Mobile is currently offering a $325 bill credit (applied over 24 months) to people that buy a Pixel and activate it on the T-Mobile One plan. There's a microsite that you'll use to provide proof of purchase.

Certainly an interesting way to get people to bring their device there.
Thanks for that link.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 5:51 pm

My Pixel is on its way...and I am thoroughly confused about "safe" charging of this thing. There are SO MANY POSTS everywhere about USB-C certifications, safe charging, etc. that my head is spinning.

My basic question is: can I continue to use my Anker 5 port 40W charger with the Pixel if I get good quality USB A to USB C cables? I realize it won't fast charge, but I mostly don't need it to.

Thanks!
Old Nov 9, 2016, 2:16 am

I think the lack of water resistance one phones are a deal breaker especially for travellers who's fond of taking photos while swimming. Just like you, I use ziplocks before to protect my phone from water but I found them a bit off and you can't take high-res photos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.