Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Current wisdom on transferring files/data/programs to new computer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:09 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

Got a very good deal on a new Lenovo X250 to replace my X220. Fortunately, it's still Windows 7 Professional (same as on the X250 -- no interest in upgrading to 10 at this point for several important reasons).

I always dread the process of moving stuff from old to new computer, and usually budget a week to get absolutely everything done.

In the past, I've basically reinstalled all my main programs (MS Office, Word Perfect, Pegasus Mail for Windows, Time and Chaos) and use a restore from Mozy Online Backup to fetch the data files from those and other programs (MyDocuments, MyPictures, etc.).

Is there a better way?

Came across this article and have no idea how good any of these options are:

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-pc-windows-10

Thank you!
Old Sep 13, 2016, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reinstall the programs but you can just copy the data over from the old machine to the new. Put them in the same workgroup, share the old drive, map it from the new machine and copy.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 9:30 pm

With Windows 7 you can use Windows East Transfer. It's built right into Windows 7. Copy everything to a flash drive and then transfer to new PC.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
You can certainly use Windows Easy Transfer if you want, but when you get a new 'puter, I think of it as starting fresh. Why take the risk of transferring useless DLLs, non-functioning registry entries, and programs and bloatware you never use anymore and have forgotten?

I like your approach better. Fire up the new 'puter, transfer your data, and re-install programs one at a time.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I also agree with this advice. Transfer the files over your LAN or restore from your backup service (though that will take longer). Don't attempt to migrate over programs, just install them fresh.

Last edited by javabytes; Sep 17, 2016 at 11:10 am
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:13 pm

Disk Image

You could use a Disk Imaging program like Acronis True Image and be done in very little time. I create a disk image of my PC all the time and have had to restore a few times.

The big reason with a new machine I would not do this myself is "crud" all of the detritus from your old machine will be copied to the image. I would definitely say if you are inclined to a disk image clean up the old machine well first. On the other hand reinstalling you apps may be laborious but gives you a "clean" install.

Lenovo's were corporate standard at my last position, so I have imaged hundreds of these with very few issues. So you might even with a clean install elect to routinely image the new PC
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:51 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
You can certainly use Windows Easy Transfer if you want, but when you get a new 'puter, I think of it as starting fresh. Why take the risk of transferring useless DLLs, non-functioning registry entries, and programs and bloatware you never use anymore and have forgotten?

I like your approach better. Fire up the new 'puter, transfer your data, and re-install programs one at a time.
That's exactly what I'm thinking.... There has been some noticeable inevitable slowing in the X220 and I don't want to carry over stuff unnecessarily.

So, I'll look for a day when I have little to do

I also need to take out the Gobi WWAN card in the X220, do some research about how to open up the X250 and install, figure out which programs/drivers I need to download to get in operational, go the AT&T store and have them clone the sim from the X220 onto the micro-sim that the X250 needs.

My thanks to all who have responded so far! (and to the previous poster, while I've not managed the number you have, this is probably my 10th Thinkpad. I started in 1992 with the IBM PS/Note 386 laptop and marveled at how cool Windows 3.0 was compared to my Commodore SX64 )

ETA: In my belts and suspenders approach to backing up, after Mozy does its online backup (six times daily!), the Mozy software then copies/backups everthing to my attached USB drive. It should be far faster to do copy-over restore from this than from an online restore from the cloud.

Last edited by cblaisd; Sep 13, 2016 at 11:02 pm
Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:05 am

Programs: AA Gold
Windows 7 Easy Transfer works amazingly well and you can just select the items you want to transfer.
If you so choose it will also transfer Office settings and the like.
Can be done with a flash drive or network.
Just my 2 cents.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:15 am

Don't use Windows Easy Transfer. MS stopped that program now so your backup can be lost for future updates.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I echo the advice to install programs afresh on the new computer and then just copy your data over.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: AA Gold
Easy Transfer is not a backup, just a transfer.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Oh, and: If you haven't yet moved to the practice of storing your data on a separate partition...do so.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

I've done that a time or two in the past with new laptops, but have also found some programs utterly insist on wanting their data in C:
Old Sep 15, 2016, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I've done that a time or two in the past with new laptops, but have also found some programs utterly insist on wanting their data in C:
And when your C is your SSD you pay a speed penalty for putting your data elsewhere.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
And when your C is your SSD you pay a speed penalty for putting your data elsewhere.
How so? Partition the SSD to C: and D: and put the data on D: - where's the speed penalty?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.